Help! Do I need a truck?

• HTML tutorial

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

2007-2013 Chevy Tahoe (Carrie's a lot and very maneuverable compared to crew cab trucks)
I like the Yukhoebans but it always seems that I can gut the a Silverarra for about 1k or a little more less with all things eaqual; and the trucks seem to have a more "bare bones" options which puts their price even lower. Avalanches for some reason are insanely priced; I do like them but between the price and half the internet hating them for reliability and the other half reporting great reliability kinda kills it for me. However, common sense tells me that swince it is a GM800 platform it should be the same as any 5.3L Yukhoeban or fullsize chevy truck and they are reportedly very good over the long term.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I kinda like the GMT900 Tahoe, as it really is the closest thing to my GMT 400 big Blazer 2-door. Just that it has 4 doors. I havent gotten a Tahoe, though, I chose a 14 GMC Sierra Z71, 5.3 liter engine, double cab, 6 5 foot bed instead. The Avalanche was found on both the GMT800 and the GMT 900 platform. The 5.3 engine itself has different types, with some making use of active fuel management and others not. Active Fuel Management requires a very strict adherence to a regular oil change with specifically certified oil, so there is, I believe, some question whether of not these protocols were being followed when any engine issues developed.

I have the L83 version which has not specifically been named as a trouble version though I'm sure anything can happen. Regular, routine, proper maintenance since I've had it and so far I love it.

So I think Long term reliability should be about the same as any GMT800 or GMT 900. Just check the glove compartment. The whole build sheet is on a silver sticker in there, written in codes. Be wary of the LC9 engines. See below:

Have a mechanic check it out first to check engine compression.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

that’s what I overland with.
I like the Avalanche the best out of the GMT800/900 platforms. I have my eye on a FX4 f150 that comes with some good stuff worth about $1000-$1200, but they want a bit more than I think I can swing for it. VMRCanada suggests $12650 whole sale and $15125 Retail. AutoTrader and CarFax suggestes $13250 to $15500 based on a 2011 FX4 trim at 150k-157k, 3.5L, no nav, with sunroof. Are those numbers reasonable or should I plan to ay more?
My wife went to see a Tacoma and now she is on me to buy a Tacoma instead because she likes the size. I think 13k is a big ask for a 23 year old vehicle that is ummm...... well salted shoul we say. It didn't look like deep rust but deep rust didn't look too far away.
Thoughts?

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I like the Avalanche the best out of the GMT800/900 platforms. I have my eye on a FX4 f150 that comes with some good stuff worth about $1000-$1200, but they want a bit more than I think I can swing for it. VMRCanada suggests $12650 whole sale and $15125 Retail. AutoTrader and CarFax suggestes $13250 to $15500 based on a 2011 FX4 trim at 150k-157k, 3.5L, no nav, with sunroof. Are those numbers reasonable or should I plan to ay more?
My wife went to see a Tacoma and now she is on me to buy a Tacoma instead because she likes the size. I think 13k is a big ask for a 23 year old vehicle that is ummm...... well salted shoul we say. It didn't look like deep rust but deep rust didn't look too far away.
Thoughts?
personally, I would not do a rust bucket at all, unless you’re willing to spend lots of cash on remedial treatment.

as far as size goes, my full size Tahoe is in the center of this lineup of Tacomas and one Xterra. I’ve not encountered anything that limits my ability.

99DBA3D2-4A54-4C62-9585-2BE2EA3D5010.png

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

personally, I would not do a rust bucket at all, unless you’re willing to spend lots of cash on remedial treatment.

as far as size goes, my full size Tahoe is in the center of this lineup of Tacomas and one Xterra. I’ve not encountered anything that limits my ability.
I agree about the rust, which leads to me wondering why West coasts vehicles are generally cheaper than East coast vehicles of similar condition. Is it the simple fact that there are more to pick from becuase they don't salt?
As for size.... eh... I can agree when it comes to open spaces and forest roads but my uncles SJ410, I think pre Samurai, took some local tophies from bigger rigs and always seemed to get around the woods more easily then our Blazers and Broncos, the older bigger ones. With that said he off roaded competively so he knew what he was doing, and my uncles who didn't compete and just hunted, fished, worked in the woods all hade 1/2 ton sized rigs and for anything nasty a Massy, hey that kinda rhyms. I don't forsee needing anything small and specialized, if a 1/2 ton won't fit than I am hiking or biking. I think she is on me to buy a tacoma not so much due to the preception of better capability but because she is timid of driving a big SUV or Truck. With all that said, lol who do you think drove the 26' F350 moving truck for 6h when we moved? So not sure why she is timid now...

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I agree about the rust, which leads to me wondering why West coasts vehicles are generally cheaper than East coast vehicles of similar condition. Is it the simple fact that there are more to pick from becuase they don't salt?
As for size.... eh... I can agree when it comes to open spaces and forest roads but my uncles SJ410, I think pre Samurai, took some local tophies from bigger rigs and always seemed to get around the woods more easily then our Blazers and Broncos, the older bigger ones. With that said he off roaded competively so he knew what he was doing, and my uncles who didn't compete and just hunted, fished, worked in the woods all hade 1/2 ton sized rigs and for anything nasty a Massy, hey that kinda rhyms. I don't forsee needing anything small and specialized, if a 1/2 ton won't fit than I am hiking or biking. I think she is on me to buy a tacoma not so much due to the preception of better capability but because she is timid of driving a big SUV or Truck. With all that said, lol who do you think drove the 26' F350 moving truck for 6h when we moved? So not sure why she is timid now...
I see you are from Canada. I am under the impression that vehicles in Canada are about 20-30% more expensive than USA? That Tacoma still sounds very expensive, but many Japanese rigs over 20 years old are seeming to appreciate in value these days.
I don't know how the Canadian market is, but if you were looking at an expensive Tacoma in USA, I'd also suggest you have a look at the Frontier. You can get a very good truck for the money. Beat-up-old-and-rusty-Tacoma money can get you into a nice, well maintained, better condition and few years newer Frontier. Frontier can be had in 3 body styles, King Cab, Crew Cab short and Crew Cab long. I am not sure which of those 3 can be had with Pro-4x or Off-Road packages, but those offroad packages get you a locking rear diff. The Frontier uses the same running gear as a Titan and has a very good 4.0 V6 with a stout 5AT. The Tacoma has a nicer interior, though. Here's a great million-mile Frontier story: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2007-nissan-frontier-1-million-miles-chicago/ MotorTrend jokes "how did it not rust away?" well, that was a Toyota problem, not Nissan.
Speaking of which, if that Tacoma is rusty, I wonder if Toyota will replace it's frame? I'd check that before considering it.

I think for overlanding, vehicle size doesn't affect much of where you can go IMO. I would choose vehicle size on what you want to have capacity for. If you want to travel lightly, get a smaller rig. If you want to bring the kitchen sink, get a bigger rig. Personally for me, I have a FS truck. I wouldn't be trying tight, technical trails in any truck or Jeep unless I had a crew with me that could help rescue. In regards to a tricky trail, if you are by yourself I don't think a smaller rig will be much better as anything so bad a FS can't handle, you may want to reconsider it in a smaller truck also.
Do you really want to fully articulate, lift a wheel, squeeze between trees, go bumper deep in mud with a RTT and 600 pounds of gear on board?
In the PNW there's a lot of trees and mud. I used to ride it on a DRZ400, none of it would be any fun in an overlanding rig, I kept my truck on trails that are or were roads, which means there was always enough room for the truck.

Reactions: Veinot

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Do you really want to fully articulate, lift a wheel, squeeze between trees, go bumper deep in mud with a RTT and 600 pounds of gear on board?
Nooo... Thats what the Bikes are for. Honestly off road capability to me is down the logging road, get a tree or 2 back the logging road. It is hard to describe because everyone has a different idea as to what "off road" means, to me it simply means no pavement, possibility of ruts and mud/snow deep enough to stop my car. Most of where I go is a road or tractor way of verying condition. If I am going into mud and tight technical trails I will be using the Mountainbikes with the kids or the dirtbike not the truck. As for what I take with me that depends on the activity, 4 mountainbikes, 1 dirtbike, camping gear, snow shoes, overnight bags....
I think you are right about the Frontier in everyway! They are great rigs and I have been considering a Pro-4X because I would really like the locking diff. There are a few in the neighbouring provinces (Titans, Xterra, Frontier) with the Pro-4X for just under 15k. I know I wont "need" Pro-4X for most of what I plan to do but I had a work truck with a locking rear diff and 90% of the time I didn't need it at all, but when I did need it, I needed it. It has gotten me out of a few jams, usually snow. It was a work truck not my personal truck so it never got used for personal use, just to get to power lines down service roads of various conditions in all types of weather. I basically put it in 4L and when I stopped going forward I made the decision on locking the diff and backing out or locking the diff and continuing forward. If I felt it was just a bad spot I would go forward, if the rest of the road looked like I would need a locker I would back out or walk in. Anyway, I am looking 1/2 or FS (which I am assuming means Full Size), because I think the cab would be too crampped with 4 people and a dog. My wife wants a small one because she is concerned about parking and daily driving.
As for costs I did use Canadian sources to get the best estimates on values, we pay more here because..... ummm..... reasons. If I get into it, it will be a rant and no one wants to hear that. Anyway, I think I got a short list, and know what we are looking for. Guess it is just a matter of finding something that speaks to me.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Nooo... Thats what the Bikes are for. Honestly off road capability to me is down the logging road, get a tree or 2 back the logging road. It is hard to describe because everyone has a different idea as to what "off road" means, to me it simply means no pavement, possibility of ruts and mud/snow deep enough to stop my car. Most of where I go is a road or tractor way of verying condition. If I am going into mud and tight technical trails I will be using the Mountainbikes with the kids or the dirtbike not the truck. As for what I take with me that depends on the activity, 4 mountainbikes, 1 dirtbike, camping gear, snow shoes, overnight bags....
I think you are right about the Frontier in everyway! They are great rigs and I have been considering a Pro-4X because I would really like the locking diff. There are a few in the neighbouring provinces (Titans, Xterra, Frontier) with the Pro-4X for just under 15k. I know I wont "need" Pro-4X for most of what I plan to do but I had a work truck with a locking rear diff and 90% of the time I didn't need it at all, but when I did need it, I needed it. It has gotten me out of a few jams, usually snow. It was a work truck not my personal truck so it never got used for personal use, just to get to power lines down service roads of various conditions in all types of weather. I basically put it in 4L and when I stopped going forward I made the decision on locking the diff and backing out or locking the diff and continuing forward. If I felt it was just a bad spot I would go forward, if the rest of the road looked like I would need a locker I would back out or walk in. Anyway, I am looking 1/2 or FS (which I am assuming means Full Size), because I think the cab would be too crampped with 4 people and a dog. My wife wants a small one because she is concerned about parking and daily driving.
As for costs I did use Canadian sources to get the best estimates on values, we pay more here because..... ummm..... reasons. If I get into it, it will be a rant and no one wants to hear that. Anyway, I think I got a short list, and know what we are looking for. Guess it is just a matter of finding something that speaks to me.
Speaking to a locking diff....my truck originally came without a locking rear diff. I did run into one instance many year ago, on a trail in the spring, we were about 30 minutes into a trail almost to our destination, there was a big slab of packed snow/ice in the middle of the trail. I thought it would be like the snow in the city. NOPE, WRONG! We tried to drive over it in 4LO (I had very good Toyo MT's, probably should have aired-down, reminds me I should get a compressor!) and it was hopeless. In 4WD with two open diffs, the truck was more like a 1x1, one driven wheel spinning uselessly at each end of the truck. The truck started to rotate on it's own axis, so we called it off. I was surprised at how gnarly some spring snow/ice can be.

Because I don't want a repeat of that even I had an Eaton locking rear diff installed. I think now with BFG KO2's aired down to 10psi I could have made it over that. But, usually in dirt roads, the open-diff 4WD always was fine.

The Nissan locking rear diff is good, after 2006 all of them had 4 spider pinions, the first 2 years had a 2 spider pinion that could break if beat on too hard. The 2006+ rear ends are tough Dana44 derived units, "M226" in Nissan speak. I'd get a truck with it, the cost to install a new diff in my truck was a hard pill to swallow.

I'll attach a pic of my Nissan rig, I think at it's age it isn't worth more than $10-12K in the USA. I think an equivalent Toyota truck would be 50% more expensive . Granted, tough to find one with low miles, mine only has 75K miles:IMG_20200308_145250291_HDR.jpgIMG_20200308_145234626_HDR.jpg

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Buy a crew cab truck and throw an ARE cap on the back. Now you have a truck and a way to secure you gear in the bed.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Buy a crew cab truck and throw an ARE cap on the back. Now you have a truck and a way to secure you gear in the bed.
Is there a difference between LEER and ARE when it comes to security?

We've been planning a spring break overland trip through the Sierras and stopping at Knott's Berry Farm in CA, I kind of planned on keeping all my gear in the locked canopy under a black moving blanket....it's a LEER cap but is ARE more secure?
I'd hate to get robbed on the road!

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Is there a difference between LEER and ARE when it comes to security?

We've been planning a spring break overland trip through the Sierras and stopping at Knott's Berry Farm in CA, I kind of planned on keeping all my gear in the locked canopy under a black moving blanket....it's a LEER cap but is ARE more secure?
I'd hate to get robbed on the road!
Not in particular. All the caps have pretty simple locks that can be defeated with a minimal amount of time and effort. But then again locks never keep the determined out of things they only slow people down.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

RockyMountaineer,

Yeah I got a used Leer and put it on my 14 Sierra. It's just a double cab, though. I thought it would be fine, and it will be, but man, the extra back seat space in the crew cabs really makes a difference

Reactions: RockyMountaineer

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
RockyMountaineer,

Yeah I got a used Leer and put it on my 14 Sierra. It's just a double cab, though. I thought it would be fine, and it will be, but man, the extra back seat space in the crew cabs really makes a difference
Once our son goes to college, it'll just be 2 of us.
That Crew Cab functions like 2/3 of an SUV if no one sits back there.
Having a FS CC truck with a camper is the best of both worlds for certain people.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

I think it will be a while before I can swing for a cap, unless I luck into somehing with one on it, so I think I will put a lock box on the back in the mean time for securing gear and the rest of the bed can be for things that are tied down.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
If you can't/don't get a cap, I gotta say some of those setups with the custom frame and RTT over the bed look really nice and seem super useful. To me, almost a toss-up over a cap, but certainly those setups are at least as much $$ as a NEW cap.

I owned my truck for 9 years before I found a cap for it!