Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

A cap will create less wind drag than a roof tent. Maybe that doesnt matter on dessert roads and logging trails as much, but I presume you have to do some highway to get where you are going? If not then ok. But Ipersonally like the cap because it gives me the versatility.

New caps range from 1600 up to 3000. That's why I went used, for a fraction of that cost. Took a while to find one that fits. It takes a real long time to find a fit AND color match u less you drive a black or a white truck. Silver is not too hard to find either. But a deep forest green or a burgundy that fits, is like finding gold

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

It takes a real long time to find a fit AND color match u less you drive a black or a white truck. Silver is not too hard to find either. But a deep forest green or a burgundy that fits, is like finding gold
White takes paint well..... Yeah I live on an island so I have to drive on the highway to get nowhere let alone somewhere lol. My mind is set on a cap over one of those frames; most of what I see comes with a tonnu cover at the least. Or you can try to make one from foam and fiberglass if you got the skills.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

So we have been looking at a few options and me and the wife are sort of dead locked. She wants a frontier we found a pro-4x in our range and I want an fx4 or titan 4x. My feeling is that with 4 the frontier is just going to be too tight in the cab. Leading to seat kicking, pushing, and shoving with the occasional tail in the face. Anyone running a frontier or Tacoma with a full family that can chime in?

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
Only things I know about Frontier vs. Tacoma is that the Frontier truly has less legroom in the rear than Tacoma. Tacoma is definitely more roomy.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Fullsize f250 is the smallest I'll go with four. I won't even stoop to a fullsize half ton.

Real crew cab and 6.75' bed is priceless.

RTT's can be low mounted as well. The racks don't have to be 8' up in the air. I recommend some ground tents as well. We used to put the girls in the RTT or camper. Men suffered on the ground. Everyone in the same tent, was never fun.

Caps are for cargo. I won't sleep in them. Too hot, humid, just plain terrible. You can get a ladder rack that reaches around modern caps. Add some triangulation, and they can hold more weight.

Bikes should be ratchet strapped in the bed straight up and down just like motorcycles. That bed mat thing will just wear your bikes and tailgate down to the metal.

I use chains the length of the bed, between the camper hooks, to securely ratchet down my overland cargo boxes. Tents in one box. Recovery gear and a blade removed chainsaw in the other. Kayaks can be strapped down on top of those tote boxes, and the tailgate can be closed under them. I've had three totes, and six kayaks so far strapped down fine.

From the silly empty store scare thread: There's a ratchet strap pulling the chains up. The chains aren't fixed to the totes, they're only there to give the straps something to grab, like many types of cargo rails, but way stronger.
20200314_111110.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SquishBang

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

You guys have a lot of very impressive rigs but I think anything beyond a 1/2 ton is going to be over kill for my purposes. It sounds like I am right that a frontier is going to be cramped with the 4 of us. We took Toyota off the list because it is price prohibitive, although that could change it we see a good deal. We are pretty much got it pinned down to; Frontier, Titan, and FX4.

Reactions: SquishBang

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Bikes should be ratchet strapped in the bed straight up and down just like motorcycles. That bed mat thing will just wear your bikes and tailgate down to the metal.
This is not true at all. Some pads are not compatible with some tailgate designs sure but unless you're desert running the pads are what most truck owners use to transport bikes in the bed. Pretty much nobody straps a bike down like a moto.

Chris Ludwig

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Syracuse, UT, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ludwig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4LCG
I bet they are pricy though; something to consider, should Google a few to see what I am in for.
My Alu-Cab was 4k all in with the kitchen, another storage box, camp table, and load bars to mount a tent. Couldn't be happier with it. I posted about it over on Tacoma World: Alu-Cab Explorer Canopy on 2019 DCSB
I can't recommend the Tacoma enough, but you will need to upgrade the tires for tougher side walls (same for anything you buy) and at least the rear springs to take the weight if you load it heavy. My weight when loaded for camping with a family of 4 is 6000lb. My truck is pretty stock other than tires, suspension, canopy, and RTT. I've also upgraded is the electrical system to add lighting, onboard air, and a fridge. Here is the criteria that led me to the newer Tacoma plus Canopy (you'll see what I am currently missing by the unchecked items, but I am working to get there):
  • [x]Rig must be a daily driver.
    • [x]Perfectly reliable
    • [x]Repairable at local dealerships
    • [x]Comfortable for 4 passengers
    • [x]Safe in heavy traffic (cross traffic alert, blindspot monitoring, backup sensors, collision detection/auto braking, 32" tires as equipped)
    • [x]Fit in standard garage in commuting configuration (not a tall van)
    • [x]Sufficiently fuel efficient for commuting - avoid big tires, heavy bumpers, (avoid big roof rack drag) - I'm at 18.8mpg highway, 16.5 combined for daily commuting as configured without the RTT.
  • [x]Rig must support independent camping for 3 days without replenishment except fuel.
    • [x]Fridge and dual battery
    • [x]20 gallons water equipped
    • [x]Sleeping for 4 in one area/tent, ground or RTT ok
  • []Must be capable of extending range to 600 miles [Stage 3]
    • []35 gallon extended range tank OR (best, but costs about 2k installed)
    • []3 jerry cans OR (cheap but a pain to deal with and no good place to store)
    • []15 gallon racing fuel cell with bladder in the bed plumbed to the main tank filler (under 1k installed, lose storage, easy to empty but harder to fill, especially when packed with gear on top)
  • []Rig must be capable of independent remote travel
    • [x]Remote comms including rescue if needed
    • [x]Tire repair kit, air compressor, one spare tire
    • [x]Recovery kit
    • []Maxtrax [Stage 2] and shovel for self recovery
    • []Winch for self recovery [Stage 3]
  • []Rig must be capable of sand and desert travel, rough and rocky trail travel, mountain roads, but not be a rock crawler
    • [x]Manual Transmission (good for descending mountain roads, bad for rock crawling, ok in sand if you know what you are doing but not as good as AT for beginners)
    • [x]Equipped with basic factory skid plate
    • [x]Equipped with rear locker
    • [x]Equipped with good tires
    • []Equipped with rock sliders [Stage 3

Reactions: Veinot

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

If anyone is still listening I just want to say the SARS-CoV-2 issue has somewhat delayed things for me, but I am still being paid, one plus for working for the government. So far I am in isolation and cannot leave the home when I do it is my hopes we will be still in Social Distancing, as opposed to complete lock down, and I can still, with caution and care, continue looking. The Frontier I was looking at has been sold and the F-150 I was considering has come down in price making it more attractive BUT! it is out of province and if I left to buy it, well.. that is another 14 days of isolation, so not super enthusiastic on that option. There is a local 2010 base 4x4 but I think they want too much for it, I might have to wait till the borders reopen without isolation.
In the mean time... Why not show me more builds? Maybe one of your rigs will change my mind on approach, if nothing else it will keep my inspiration high.
So.... What do you got?

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

thats exactly what got me to get a shell for the tundra and i have a cargo basket on it to haul even more stuff or things i don't want inside, like a small LP bottle.

View attachment 143474
I see your NoBo in the background. Is it a 10.5? I’m looking at that option. What is your impressions/ pros cons?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So we are a newly active family and the old car isn't cutting it. I am due for another vehicle and I want something that is more suited to the activities we do. But I just cannot seem to pick between SUV or truck.
I like the truck because I can throw stuff on the back and go, muddy, stinky, don't matter. But I question it's security of the gear and if I really need a truck more than 10% of the time.
SUV you can lock it all up and keep it out of the weather but most won't fit 4 bikes without a rack/carrier. They are generally more money and not more efficent in terms of fuel. Those that are better on fuel just don't have the size or capability, those that have the capability are trucks with a SUV body.
We camped a lot last year and found the car challenging to get everything in it and I had to leave the bikes and realy felt I, and the kids, missed out on some good trails.
Other considerations are all season and daily use, this will be the primary family chariot and will need to be relatively comfortable on long multi hour drives in all weather conditions but mainly snow (deep snow). I know hardware stores deliver but road side and private sellers don't usually.
I really am working on "What I would like to do" and not "What I do do" because I have neither and am basing this on all the times I feel I missed out not having a larger more capable vehicle. Usually this is when the road gets too rough but there are a few times I thought "If only that fit in my car" or "if only I could tow that".
What were the ultimate factors in your overland vehicle decision between truck and suv? Are there some things I maybe overlooking or not considering between the 2?
You need a full size van. Ford or Chev. Window/passenger van with the right number of seats. May not be cool but definitely the best function for what you list.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I see your NoBo in the background. Is it a 10.5? I’m looking at that option. What is your impressions/ pros cons?
its the 10.6 with toy-hauler rear door and the galley is on a slide up front. i like it a lot now. i bought it new last year and it had a LOT of shitty craftsmanship and i sent it back to forest river after a lot of back and forth by email and phone and it came back in worse shape, so i just fixed it all myself and made some mods while i was at it. i paid around $13K for it and i guess that is an OK price.
it tows great with my tundra and is pretty versatile with the rear open door. it has a 13000 btu heater/ac unit and came with a stove and a very nice 65qt Dometic 12v fridge/freezer. i haul a kayak on it and put 200w solar on the roof and it works great. the wife really loves it, so thats good. you can PM me for more questions and i can give you a more detailed list of problems and what i did to fix them if you like

20190701_133612.jpg

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have owned trucks for 30 plus years, little truck, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. When I was running a 1/2 ton I had to air bag because of the load I have 2, 1/2 tons. they all have their good and bad points.

There will be a bunch of truck coming on the market. The incoming depression will have a lot of repo's and lease returns.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

I have owned trucks for 30 plus years, little truck, 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. When I was running a 1/2 ton I had to air bag because of the load I have 2, 1/2 tons. they all have their good and bad points.

There will be a bunch of truck coming on the market. The incoming depression will have a lot of repo's and lease returns.
Yeah, it is sad; I hate to profit from soneone elses misfortune. On the other hand, I need to get the best bang for buck. I test drove a F150 2013 with 4x4 and a locker with only 160k and it broke down on the way to the shop to have it checked; over heating. Buddy said it was a sensor but I have a cruze with 300k it isn't exactly known for reliability but I still haven't had to replace a sensor on it. At 160k I am doubting that is the issue, or only issue for that matter. We test drove a Suburban and a Sierra but they wanted too much for them and I was in negotiations over a 2012 Titan Pro-4X with 149k but the ad for 15000 jumped to over 20k when I asked how much they would have to have for it. My quick math revealed that more than simple tax and licensing was applied, so no thank you.
I found a Avy in Cape Breaton, haven't asked about it due t border closures, I realy like the Avy from 2009 and up. It looks to be in good shape with low kms. My only other option so far is a long box F150 2012 my only gripe is that it is a 4 door long box making it the longest possible trim level. I drove a 2019 Chevy Elevation with 4 doors and a 6.5ft bed and I was not confident. It is amazing how much 15 inches changes things; atleast thats what she said anyway...

Reactions: TexasGMG

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
If you've got a full 4 people family, get a Full size crew/super crew pickup. It will easily trump the SUV. The interior passenger space is the same or more than an SUV, and your cargo room is WAY more. A rollup tonneau cover has served me well so far. If i needed more closed in space though i would go for a rack with a soft cover option. Either way definitley go used. The new market is so over priced vs a slightly used gem.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

If you've got a full 4 people family, get a Full size crew/super crew pickup. It will easily trump the SUV. The interior passenger space is the same or more than an SUV, and your cargo room is WAY more. A rollup tonneau cover has served me well so far. If i needed more closed in space though i would go for a rack with a soft cover option. Either way definitley go used. The new market is so over priced vs a slightly used gem.
I know eh? Even dealer used is just exstortionate! As for SUV or Truck it isn't all my decision, the wife has a say. The only SUV I think I would seriously consider at this point is an Xterra. My spouse didn't like the F150 at all, didn't help it broke down on us, but she has taken that as a sign that we are to own a Dodge or a Chevy/GM. I am still open to all makes, you make a million somethings one is bound to be a dud. Anyway, one good thing is that since I am not driving to work, or anywhere else for that matter, my budget is slowly increasing. My two favorites are still the FX4 and Pro-4X titan so far in the trucks, but I am likely going to have to go down a trim level or 2.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Yeah, it is sad; I hate to profit from soneone elses misfortune. On the other hand, I need to get the best bang for buck. I test drove a F150 2013 with 4x4 and a locker with only 160k and it broke down on the way to the shop to have it checked; over heating. Buddy said it was a sensor but I have a cruze with 300k it isn't exactly known for reliability but I still haven't had to replace a sensor on it. At 160k I am doubting that is the issue, or only issue for that matter. We test drove a Suburban and a Sierra but they wanted too much for them and I was in negotiations over a 2012 Titan Pro-4X with 149k but the ad for 15000 jumped to over 20k when I asked how much they would have to have for it. My quick math revealed that more than simple tax and licensing was applied, so no thank you.
I found a Avy in Cape Breaton, haven't asked about it due t border closures, I realy like the Avy from 2009 and up. It looks to be in good shape with low kms. My only other option so far is a long box F150 2012 my only gripe is that it is a 4 door long box making it the longest possible trim level. I drove a 2019 Chevy Elevation with 4 doors and a 6.5ft bed and I was not confident. It is amazing how much 15 inches changes things; atleast thats what she said anyway...

Whats your budget for the truck if you don't mind mentioning? I've seen a lot of good info about the 14-18 Ram Rebels. Reliability seems great. I have a 13 FX4 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I'd possibly get the 5.0 over that now but like you said, its a crap shoot with the number they make on issues. Every vehicle has problems from every mfg. If you look at Dodge be sure to look at Crew cab, not Quad cab. Quad cab back seat room is way to cramped.

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

Whats your budget for the truck if you don't mind mentioning? I've seen a lot of good info about the 14-18 Ram Rebels. Reliability seems great. I have a 13 FX4 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I'd possibly get the 5.0 over that now but like you said, its a crap shoot with the number they make on issues. Every vehicle has problems from every mfg. If you look at Dodge be sure to look at Crew cab, not Quad cab. Quad cab back seat room is way to cramped.
I was aiming for 13000 to 15000 CAD, it would have to be an amazing deal to get more out of me lol. I like to tell dealers that I am looking for the bes tvehicle at the best price and not get into details on payments and stick to the actual price. Been looking at the 09 to 2014 range due to my restrictive budget.