Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

a tow strap would work but butter if you have a kinetic rope / snatch strap
Understood. What do you carry around? Looking for recommendations for what to actually purchase. Thanks.
I personally have this Smittybilt CC330 3" x 30' Recovery Strap - 30,000 lb Capacity but the one linked above would be a better choice.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I have the smittybilt strap in my recovery bag too. Though most of the time I am solo and it kinda acts as a tree strap to go with the winch. Kinetic ropes are a great option if you typically travel in a group because they can help get a rig unstuck better than a standard recovery strap with much less effort.

Reactions: Vagrant Forever

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have the smittybilt strap in my recovery bag too. Though most of the time I am solo and it kinda acts as a tree strap to go with the winch. Kinetic ropes are a great option if you typically travel in a group because they can help get a rig unstuck better than a standard recovery strap with much less effort.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would say this is the best initial purchase. The kinetic ropes have come really down in price. Get one in your vehicles weight range. The price is not too much more initially for some of them offered on Amazon. The upside is they are safer to use, can be used for multiple recoveries, where straps only have 2-3 pulls in them before they need to be set aside to recoup their stretch. They also are softer in action (less harsh) when being used. A set of recovery boards might be a good 2nd purchase option when your ready to expand your gear requirement.

To go with that strap or rope, you will need 2 clevis or 2 soft shackles for attachment purposes.

PS EDIT.................With soft shackles, I prefer to use a larger (stronger) one that is rated higher than you think you will need. I do this to counteract it being a weak link, as it will be likely to be abused by sharp edges. This is also where the better ones have a sliding sleeve to mitigate wear on them.

Last edited: