Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
First, congratulations on getting your ticket.

Start small. Figure out what you feel your needs are, then build from there. Along the way you will find your 'next step'. A simple baofeng with a magnet mount antenna can be had for around $50. I've reached over 7 miles line of site with that set up over 70cm simplex. I've seen 3 miles with just the stock antenna with a bit of elevation. Pushing beyond that will require repeater information, bigger antennas, more power, etc.

Too often people focus on brands and I certainly have my preferences. I recommend you start small and find what works for your needs and budget. What is best for someone else may not be best for you.
I only half agree. A 5 watt transceiver is going to be a disappointment when traveling alone and needing help. Get as much radio as you can afford. For under $200 a person can get a simple easy to use 80w transceiver and a 5/8 wave mobile antenna. It may not be a fancy transceiver with a TNC and APRS functionality, but for getting a signal out and some one hearing is a lot better chance.

Hand held radios are great for convoy and spotting, but they suck being solo.

OkieMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Marty
Last Name
AAAA
Member #

If you think you will stick with it, I’d go mobile. More power and capability. HTs are fine if you have repeaters around but the abilities of a 50w mobile rig and a good antenna will really help you out in the long run.

Or go the route of “2 is 1 and 1 is none” and get both.

Reactions: M Rose