Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Rylan
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6TRD
A ferrite choke may help. The problem is that the lights run an active switching power supply to drop the 12v down and limit it to the roughly 3v the LEDs use. Actually they need a constant current, not constant voltage. These switchers do not have any inductance or capacitance to curb the RF emissions. If a choke does not do it, go to coax to feed the lights with a cap at the LEDs.

tacocart99

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Rylan
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6TRD
A ferrite choke may help. The problem is that the lights run an active switching power supply to drop the 12v down and limit it to the roughly 3v the LEDs use. Actually they need a constant current, not constant voltage. These switchers do not have any inductance or capacitance to curb the RF emissions. If a choke does not do it, go to coax to feed the lights with a cap at the LEDs.
Ok I’ll look into that. I found today that switching to halogen lamps did help. I made a few QSO’s today and they did not report any issues and I copies them just fine. Does that make sense that the halogen would solve the issue? The LED’s work differently then the filament?

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Ok I’ll look into that. I found today that switching to halogen lamps did help. I made a few QSO’s today and they did not report any issues and I copies them just fine. Does that make sense that the halogen would solve the issue? The LED’s work differently then the filament?
Yes it does...reread this whole thread.... LEDs produce a square wave form of stray RF... halogen lights are “clean”...

tacocart99

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Rylan
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6TRD
Yes it does...reread this whole thread.... LEDs produce a square wave form of stray RF... halogen lights are “clean”...
Yup it’s true! The radio works so much better with the halogens. I was on a QSO yesterday on the Papa system in SoCal yesterday and I explained my situation to an old timer. A man who actually was the founder of the Papa repeater system. He said he learned something new because he had no idea LED headlight bulbs would mess with radio signal. He never had LED headlights so never had to deal with it. I appreciate your help and take care. 73’s for now.

Reactions: M Rose
W

with_tyler

Have you tried these?

Cedmon 20 Pcs Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clip for 3mm/ 5mm/ 7mm/ 9mm/ 13mm Diameter Cable

Reactions: tacocart99

tacocart99

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Rylan
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6TRD
Have you tried these?

Cedmon 20 Pcs Clip-on Ferrite Ring Core RFI EMI Noise Suppressor Cable Clip for 3mm/ 5mm/ 7mm/ 9mm/ 13mm Diameter Cable
Thanks for shootin that info over to me! I just put the factory headlight bulbs back in and I no longer have any issues.

Reactions: with_tyler

tacocart99

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Rylan
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6TRD
I saw this and didn’t see anyone mention them. I know it was an older post.
That would probably work perfectly. I just put the stock halogens back in and I have no more issues. The Baja Designs I run are higher quality and they cause no interference. Thanks for the suggestion!
N6TRD

W

with_tyler

I saw this and didn’t see anyone mention them. I know it was an older post.
That would probably work perfectly. I just put the stock halogens back in and I have no more issues. The Baja Designs I run are higher quality and they cause no interference. Thanks for the suggestion!
N6TRD
Glad you got it working. Cheap hardware worth trying. I just ordered some more for an FTM-400XDR I am installing at the end of this week.

Reactions: tacocart99

tacocart99

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Rylan
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6TRD
Glad you got it working. Cheap hardware worth trying. I just ordered some more for an FTM-400XDR I am installing at the end of this week.
Cool let me know how it goes. If it works out well I might be wiling to put the LED's back in. I have been running the FTM-300 for about a year now and I have no complaints. The digital works great, APRS works great, and just like your 400 the Yaesu color scheme is so vibrant!!