Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
I've had a Pelican gun case containing recovery gear on my TJ's roof rack for around twenty years with no problems. Its secured by "U-bolts" around the rack's rails with the nuts on the inside of the case and a padlock to keep anyone from easily opening it. No doubt, the contents could be stolen by someone with a cordless grinder but the same could be said for most everything I have on the rig if the thief is determined.
Meant the nuts on the inside

Reactions: RoarinRow

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
I bolted one to the side of my rack to hold my recovery gear a year ago. So far its held up very well in the Vegas sun. I have all my recovery gear in it. I figured its an easy way to secure my junk as well as it keeps it all out of my cab. I have since added some cables to the outer side so it opens to make a handy shelf.
That is an awesome set up! Great idea mounting to your rack like that. I haven’t seen that yet.

Reactions: tmarvosh

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
I found a way to mount one without drilling. You can see that method here

But that way requires the bars be too far apart to mount anything else and requires more bar height so you don't hit the roof.

I eventually drilled the case for u-bolts and mounted it to the bars that way.

-M
Thank you for sending over. Gonna sit down tonight and watch all these vids after dinner. Really appreciate it.

Reactions: Wolfy

tmarvosh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Henderson NV
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Marvosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI7ER
I bolted one to the side of my rack to hold my recovery gear a year ago. So far its held up very well in the Vegas sun. I have all my recovery gear in it. I figured its an easy way to secure my junk as well as it keeps it all out of my cab. I have since added some cables to the outer side so it opens to make a handy shelf.
That is an awesome set up! Great idea mounting to your rack like that. I haven’t seen that yet.
Yep it fit almost perfectly, and thank you!

Reactions: Taco303

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
Nice set up!! Can you take a pic of the cable set up? Also, what are the black posts you used to mount your recovery boards?

Reactions: Tundracamper

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Nice set up!! Can you take a pic of the cable set up? Also, what are the black posts you used to mount your recovery boards?
I’ll try to remember to take a photo of the box in the garage tomorrow, where I store it. Those pins are the Maxtrax mounting pins. They work great.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Got the steel cables from McMaster-Carr. Would probably get next length up if I were to do again. Just installed with stainless screws, washers, rubber washers, and lock nuts. Works great.
36A43248-030A-4B0F-95D4-23C372A234C8.jpeg
59D0ECE4-AFE1-4CE5-9D63-3E1A64A6697B.jpeg
37FD2D8E-17F3-425B-AAB6-D15CAB2A64A4.jpeg

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I recently built myself a rack and added two of the same Harbor Freight cases to it. The most efficient way to mount them was on either side, such that I maintain a large gap down the center (20" wide x 72" long) for skis, coolers, etc. I like the setup, though with the gap it does have a sort of "mouse ears" appearance looking from the front :P .

20201214_013703.jpg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I recently built myself a rack and added two of the same Harbor Freight cases to it. The most efficient way to mount them was on either side, such that I maintain a large gap down the center (20" wide x 72" long) for skis, coolers, etc. I like the setup, though with the gap it does have a sort of "mouse ears" appearance looking from the front :P .

View attachment 180111
I like those RAV4's they've come a long way as far as design.

Reactions: Lindenwood

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Hey Gang! Wanted to reach out and see what are peoples favorite storage containers up top? I'm looking for durable and weather proof.. Also, how the heck is everyone mounting these gun cases to their rigs.. I'm thinking of doing fabory u bolts and cut off the excess with a hack saw, but not sure if this is standard that everyone else is doing.. what's the best? NOTE: I will NOT be storing firearms in these cases. I would be storing recovery gear, camping gear etc.. but not firearms.
I just picked up a pair of ROAM 95L cases to strap to the Prinsu Rack I ordered. I will mount my Smittybilt Traction Boards between the cases, and use them for the small Colman Propane Canisters, and Emergency Gear. I also picked up two 50gal Kolbalt Cases which I have packed with my Camp Kitchen, and Stove, and the other has my sleeping gear. Misc gets stored in the Decked Drawer System that is sitting in my garage waiting for me to install it.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Just last week I installed this long rifle case that I picked up during Black Friday at Harbor Freight - 9800 Weatherproof Protective Rifle Case, Long, Black (harborfreight.com)

I drilled holes at each corner, then dropped 3" carriage bolts through, then used a Yakima accessory lock to lock it to my Yakima cross bars. The case has two holds, which you put your own padlocks on. Inside the case I put my recovery tracks and will be putting other recovery ropes, etc, in it.

View attachment 179700

View attachment 179701
Sweet, I will be installing a LRAM 50 gallon tank, and I will carry another 25 gallons of gas. Fingers crossed I will average 1k per fill up and back up fuel. How much water do you carry? So far I have 28 gallons.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Sweet, I will be installing a LRAM 50 gallon tank, and I will carry another 25 gallons of gas. Fingers crossed I will average 1k per fill up and back up fuel. How much water do you carry? So far I have 28 gallons.
Gas tank? Well on my rig the previous owner replace the 31 gallon with a 45 gallon, which I appreciate. Then I have the 4.5 and 3.5 gallon RotoPax continers. I also have some other non-RotoPax containers from Walmart. For water, I have my 4.5 gallon RoadShower, a 5 gallon Jerry can wanna be, and some other 5 gallon water tank underneath my rig. No where your 28 gallons. That's like trailer/RV territory numbers. :)

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Gas tank? Well on my rig the previous owner replace the 31 gallon with a 45 gallon, which I appreciate. Then I have the 4.5 and 3.5 gallon RotoPax continers. I also have some other non-RotoPax containers from Walmart. For water, I have my 4.5 gallon RoadShower, a 5 gallon Jerry can wanna be, and some other 5 gallon water tank underneath my rig. No where your 28 gallons. That's like trailer/RV territory numbers. :)
4 reliance aqua trainer 7 gallon containers from REI, one is dedicated to the Mr Heater Hot Water Heater

I will run the Yakima Road Shower when I pick up my Softopper KB voodooo bed rack

I have 6 - 5 gallon steel jerrycans, so I’ll always bring at least 4 with me. I’ll probably pic up the duel jerry can holder by front runner.

Attachments

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I’m hoping that in two years or less I can pick up a HQ black-series classic double trailer.