Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
Hey Gang! Wanted to reach out and see what are peoples favorite storage containers up top? I'm looking for durable and weather proof.. Also, how the heck is everyone mounting these gun cases to their rigs.. I'm thinking of doing fabory u bolts and cut off the excess with a hack saw, but not sure if this is standard that everyone else is doing.. what's the best? NOTE: I will NOT be storing firearms in these cases. I would be storing recovery gear, camping gear etc.. but not firearms.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCToyCruiser

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
I know you can lock them and use lock nuts to at least slow down the perp, but like anything, if they want it badly enough, their gonna get it regardless. I need storage to keep my recovery gear.. with two dogs, a girlfriend and coolers, space is limited, so however I can utilize storage, I will. Thanks for your reply though.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I know you can lock them and use lock nuts to at least slow down the perp, but like anything, if they want it badly enough, their gonna get it regardless. I need storage to keep my recovery gear.. with two dogs, a girlfriend and coolers, space is limited, so however I can utilize storage, I will. Thanks for your reply though.

I understand, I'm just saying that the fact it LOOKS like it may have guns in it, might lead to a greater likelihood of problems.

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
I understand, I'm just saying that the fact it LOOKS like it may have guns in it, might lead to a greater likelihood of problems.
I know. I'm assuming people use them because of the durability and weather proofing.. not sure if that's it or there's more.

Reactions: Ubiety

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I know. I'm assuming people use them because of the durability and weather proofing.. not sure if that's it or there's more.
I think it has more to do with low profile. But they are reasonably well built and weather tight to the extent they need an atmospheric pressure valve on them so you can get them open.

Reactions: Ubiety and Taco303

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hey Gang! Wanted to reach out and see what are peoples favorite storage containers up top? I'm looking for durable and weather proof.. Also, how the heck is everyone mounting these gun cases to their rigs.. I'm thinking of doing fabory u bolts and cut off the excess with a hack saw, but not sure if this is standard that everyone else is doing.. what's the best?

As for up top storage containers, I have a Leer camp canopy on the back of my truck so the storage is dry and safer. I use the roof racks on it for things like kayaks or whatever.

Regarding outside the vehicle firearms storage...I myself wouldnt do it. For the reasons @bgenlvtex listed. I would rather store something else -ANYTHING ELSE - in the outside storage, and, if I had them with me, keep the firearms inside the cab, locked in something mounted on the floor under the back seat or something. Even that is illegal in my state if the vehicle is unattended.

We know the difference between cover, and concealment. Cover protects you while concealment hides you.

Seems like you are looking for cover but not concealment. That may be your right in your state, I dont know the answer to that. But for me, having both cover AND concealment would be optimal. If nobody ever knows it's there, they spend zero minutes even trying to pry it open while I'm hiking.

Good luck. I'm curious what you end up doing in case I ever get to a state that allows that kind of storage.

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
Sorry, I was not clear in my original post. I am not storing firearms in these cases. I am storing tow straps, snatch blocks.. recovery gear ect// I would never store firearms like that.. it wouldn't be responsible.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Just last week I installed this long rifle case that I picked up during Black Friday at Harbor Freight - 9800 Weatherproof Protective Rifle Case, Long, Black (harborfreight.com)

I drilled holes at each corner, then dropped 3" carriage bolts through, then used a Yakima accessory lock to lock it to my Yakima cross bars. The case has two holds, which you put your own padlocks on. Inside the case I put my recovery tracks and will be putting other recovery ropes, etc, in it.

RifleBox.jpeg

A49A2843-EDF9-4E84-A6B6-842D711B8F46.jpeg

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Sorry, I was not clear in my original post. I am not storing firearms in these cases. I am storing tow straps, snatch blocks.. recovery gear ect// I would never store firearms like that.. it wouldn't be responsible.

Good gravy! Sorry if I misunderstood. Something like that does make sense.

Reactions: Viking1204

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
haha but good advice in case someone was reading that planned on doing that..

Reactions: Ubiety

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
Just last week I installed this long rifle case that I picked up doing Black Friday at Harbor Freight - 9800 Weatherproof Protective Rifle Case, Long, Black (harborfreight.com)

I drilled holes at each corner, then dropped 3" carriage bolts through, then used a Yakima accessory lock to lock it to my Yakima cross bars. The case has two holds, which you put your own padlocks on. Inside the case I put my recovery tracks and will be putting other recovery ropes, etc, in it.

View attachment 179700

View attachment 179701
This looks really good with your set up. Good thoughts on the recovery boards.. I was hesitant storing them outside, because they are bright shiny orange "look at me" things to be stolen

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
This looks really good with your set up. Good thoughts on the recovery boards.. I was hesitant storing them outside, because they are bright shiny orange "look at me" things to be stolen
Yup I try to lock up as much as I can. I originally had the boards on top of my roof basket but OCD kicked it and didn’t like how they were exposed and got dirty lol.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I found a way to mount one without drilling. You can see that method here

But that way requires the bars be too far apart to mount anything else and requires more bar height so you don't hit the roof.

I eventually drilled the case for u-bolts and mounted it to the bars that way.

-M

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I've had a Pelican gun case containing recovery gear on my TJ's roof rack for around twenty years with no problems. Its secured by "U-bolts" around the rack's rails with the nuts on the inside of the case and a padlock to keep anyone from easily opening it. No doubt, the contents could be stolen by someone with a cordless grinder but the same could be said for most everything I have on the rig if the thief is determined.

tmarvosh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Henderson NV
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Marvosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI7ER
I bolted one to the side of my rack to hold my recovery gear a year ago. So far its held up very well in the Vegas sun. I have all my recovery gear in it. I figured its an easy way to secure my junk as well as it keeps it all out of my cab. I have since added some cables to the outer side so it opens to make a handy shelf.

Attachments

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer
I've had a Pelican gun case containing recovery gear on my TJ's roof rack for around twenty years with no problems. Its secured by "U-bolts" around the rack's rails with the nuts on the inside of the case and a padlock to keep anyone from easily opening it. No doubt, the contents could be stolen by someone with a cordless grinder but the same could be said for most everything I have on the rig if the thief is determined.
Good call with the bolts on the inside. Got some good ideas going here. It’s good to hear that you’ve had good luck with people leaving your shit alone.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Taco303

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Denver
First Name
Colorado
Last Name
Explorer

Reactions: tmarvosh