Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

I see they have a 200$ rebate on them. Whats up with that? Will a new unit be coming out?
No way to know. I’ve reached out to Garmin, including someone that has extensive hands on, and couldn’t get an answer. Basically, they don’t know until last minute. They have been taking suggestions for future updates. There will more than likely be a V.2 in the future based on what Garmin is saying. When? We won’t know until it’s announced. But, if you can save 200.00, and want the unit, strike while you can. No sense in waiting, when there is no info on a new product.

mirage100

Rank 0

Contributor I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Smith
No way to know. I’ve reached out to Garmin, including someone that has extensive hands on, and couldn’t get an answer. Basically, they don’t know until last minute. They have been taking suggestions for future updates. There will more than likely be a V.2 in the future based on what Garmin is saying. When? We won’t know until it’s announced. But, if you can save 200.00, and want the unit, strike while you can. No sense in waiting, when there is no info on a new product.
Thanks for the reply. It just sounds too good to be true. But what the hay . A 200$ rebate is a heck of a rebate.

mirage100

Rank 0

Contributor I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Smith
Does anyone here have a Garmin Overlander and use it with a Apple Mac Computer. I looked at the info on Garmin sights about using a Mac with it. Not real clear on it. Do you ever really need to hook up the Overland to a Computer?

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Does anyone here have a Garmin Overlander and use it with a Apple Mac Computer. I looked at the info on Garmin sights about using a Mac with it. Not real clear on it. Do you ever really need to hook up the Overland to a Computer?
I use mine with a Mac all the time. No issues. You are just accessing the Explore website to do planning.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Been using the Overlander extensively on my current trip. Really like the device. It has been super accurate, and has some great features. It will mark historic places of interest, put icons up on the drive portion for forest roads and camp grounds, and the switch between drive and explore is awesome. I think it’s a great device, and honestly, I like it better than Gaia.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I see they have a 200$ rebate on them. Whats up with that? Will a new unit be coming out?
Either an updated unit, or they did not sell very well. I would look into the Montana 700i, I give it 4 stars overall, 4.5 for overlanding and 3.5 for street use.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Either an updated unit, or they did not sell very well. I would look into the Montana 700i, I give it 4 stars overall, 4.5 for overlanding and 3.5 for street use.
Well, they didn’t release anything at Expo. So, maybe it was just a sale?

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Anything new on a v 2?
‘Yes.
If you go to the Garmin website you’ll see that they have launched “The Tread” which incorporates the InReach as well as a bunch of additional features including mvum maps and iOverlander. There are also several screen sizes to choose from and the price goes up accordingly..

The original overlander is still available.

Reactions: er waddell

WU7X

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Avery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WU7X
thanks for the update!

With my poor eyesight, the 10" model would have to be the way to go. But the cost is crazy. I just purchased a new 13" iPad 2 Pro for about the same price. Still stuck with the same issue. i love Gaia GPS but the screen visibility in daylight is really poor. guess I'll just have to wait to see what this looks like if/when I can see one in person.

dale

Reactions: Mtnmn99

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
thanks for the update!

With my poor eyesight, the 10" model would have to be the way to go. But the cost is crazy. I just purchased a new 13" iPad 2 Pro for about the same price. Still stuck with the same issue. i love Gaia GPS but the screen visibility in daylight is really poor. guess I'll just have to wait to see what this looks like if/when I can see one in person.

dale
Put an anti-glare screen protector on your iPad. Problem solved. It’s what I do.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Honestly, for the price of the large tred, I would not purchase, I would consider the 700I instead. Dissapointing.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Honestly, for the price of the large tred, I would not purchase, I would consider the 700I instead. Dissapointing.
I'm in the same boat, I was thinking about reselling my inreach and overlander to upgrade, but not sure it's worth it... But I'm a gear nut so I'll probably inevitably do it..

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I'm in the same boat, I was thinking about reselling my inreach and overlander to upgrade, but not sure it's worth it... But I'm a gear nut so I'll probably inevitably do it..
I wouldn’t give up my portable InReach regardless of any new gadget Garmin offers. While it is in my vehicle 90% of the time when I am out hiking etc it goes with me. I wouldn’t want to lose the portability of a nice safety device.

WU7X

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Avery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WU7X
I'm old and so is my inReach. It is one of the original DeLorme SE (yellow) models. It still still works great. I have it mounted semi-permanently in a RAM suction mount or on a RAM 1" ball mount in the the T4R. I usually just run it without the contract around town during the winter months. Have it showing metric info. I'm near the Canadian border and plan on spending much more time in the BC/AB mountains in the near future. Getting a handle on Km vs. Miles is good for the brain. Also elevation, etc. During "field"season, I get the full contract so that we can maintain communications with our two adult kids. We spend a lot of time away from cell towers here in the Rocky Mountain West. SOS and satellite texting are the key components we want.

I connect my inReach to my iPhone and have Gaia running on an adjacent iPad while overlanding. So with my wife's iPhone in another mount, I need four USB ports. The new iPad has the "revised yet again" Apple USB-C. It also requires more amps. So I am continuously playing around with 12 v to USB adapters to find enough current to keep everything charged. My typical old fart trips runs 8-14 days, with numerous multi-over night stays in choice locations we find. The idea of combining the inReach capabilities with a really, really good track following map source is another goal. That is why I was looking at the Navigator, and now the Tread. Having a combo unit should decrease current consumption in the process. Having used Garmin a LOT in the past, I must admit to preferring Gaia GPS. Much better and more varied maps. The Apple products give me a bigger screen but the trade-off has been much poorer visability in daylight.

1Louder, thanks for the idea of an anti-glare screen! I'll follow through on that advice. I have macular degeneration, another old fart ailment, so I am slowly going blind. At this point, my vision is only impacted after sunset. That is why large and high visability screens are increasingly important to me.

I'd like to hear more input on what everyone thinks about visability, capability, size, etc., of the present group of GPS units.

Reactions: madcratebuilder