Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Well HELLO!!!

Its been a LONG while since I’ve posted here, but I think it’s time to start this thread, and show some very slow, but steady progress on our 2013 Fuso FG build!

Reactions: Caffienated

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Hmmm… fat fingered that and posted before I was done. Anyway, lots more to follow, here is a teaser pic of where we are headed! 68CCFD5D-7AA5-48B7-821B-426BBD7EFFB2.png

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Ok, let’s start at the beginning! I was lucky enough a few years ago to discover a pair of Fuso FG’s being sold at a sealed bid auction, and long story short after a last minute scramble and visit to see them (4 hr drive each way) I managed to accidentally win both of them (I swear, they followed me home, can I keep one?).

I arranged to have them both floated down to me, as they were both in limp mode and needed significant work. My plan was to *hopefully get them both running, but worst case make one out of the two, and hope to sell off a majority of parts from the second, if I wasn’t going to be able to get them both running.

1AE69A2A-2C51-4E5B-A489-F4FEF8DDE622.jpeg

Last edited:

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Now it’s a good thing we live in the country, and have a big driveway, because, well - at this point we already had a Fuso box truck - so the driveway filled up pretty quickly.

Here is a short video with the very beginning, when the two trucks arrived, and I had just started working on them.

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
One of the first things I needed to do on both trucks was get into the brakes and make sure everything was good. On a normal passenger vehicle, this isn’t a complicated job, but on these heavy trucks it’s a bit more involved. I also took this opportunity to knock the major rust off the drums - as there was quite a bit.

Fuso FG Rear Brake Inspection

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Next was re-assembly of the brakes, not complicated, but obviously a necessary step . There are a few parts that you need to make sure are aligned properly, but otherwise a pretty easy process.

Fuso FG Rear Brake Inspection 2

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
With the brakes sorted, I dove pretty heavily into Google Sketchup, coming up with various floor plans and seeing what best suited us. Also, trying to figure out how much material would be used, and what sizes fit in what places. There are a LOT of things to consider, and this was just the start!! (But it gives a good direction of where we are headed!)

Fuso FG build update for 2021/2022

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
One of the known issues with these trucks is if they spend a lot of time idling, they have issues with the emissions system. One of the common areas to cause these problems is the PCV filter. On this engine (the FPT 4P10) the PCV filter actually spins as the engine runs, to centrifugally force crank cad oil back out of the filter and allow it to drain back into the crank case. The problem is, at idle, it’s not spinning fast enough, and without being “drained” they can often then cause a restriction in the “crank case pressure” - which throws a code, and the whole system has a nervous break down (not literally)

So, with that (and the fact that I had a crank case pressure code) I decided it was a very worth while task to replace the PCV filter.

Mitsubishi Fuso Canter 4P10 PCV Filter and seal change

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Of course, the first, and one of the easiest modifications to be done is wheels & tires. I love the look of the larger super singles on this style truck - and though they are not cheap, it was one of the must haves from the get go. The larger tire size helps with highway gearing, and gives a softer ride (the suspension in these trucks can be a little on the harsh side, especially when lightly loaded). The decision was made to go with 35’s over 37’s, due to a number of factors. 1) I plan to stay on stock height suspension, 2) 35’s fit in the front wheel well more easily 3) doing what we can to keep overall truck height low, even an inch helps! 4) 35’s cost a little less than 37’s and hopefully will be easier to find if we need replacements.
We can always go bigger next time if we feel the need!

SUPER SINGLES!!

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
With the “fun” modification out of the way, it was time to get to some more serious repairs. Unfortunately, in its previous life this was a plow truck, and was exposed to some serious salt, which did some damage to the underside of the cab. I’ve done some metalwork before, so wasn’t discouraged by this - it was time to get to work on cab repairs!

Mitsubishi Fuso FG cab rust repair step 1 !!

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
I learned a lot back when I was re-building the old BJ70 Landcruiser, and that the most useful thing to use when doing bodywork repairs, is noodles. . But seriously, there were a bunch of patches needed in the cab floor, so down to work it is!

Mitsubishi Fuso FG cab rust repair step 2 !!

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
With the floor repairs underway, I was also working on figuring out how I was going to build the habitat box. I spent a LOT of time in Sketchup, but it was worth it.

Mitsubishi Fuso 3D Model design work!

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Let’s get a couple more episodes updated In this thread!
Continuing on with the rust repairs, filling some more holes in the cab floor, and getting one step closer to paint!

Mitsubishi Fuso FG cab rust repair step 3 !!

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
And the last few bits of the floor repairs! This stuff takes time, but is totally worth getting done at this stage!

Mitsubishi Fuso FG cab rust repair 4! ~ small stuff

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
While tackling the rust repairs, I noticed that the vacuum tank was pretty corroded, and figured this probably had something to do with the issues I’ve had shifting into 4x4. Time to replace the tank, and protect it from future corrosion. Check it out if you are installing anything like this, it’s a cheap easy method to add a solid layer of protection!

Easily Protect your Mitsubishi Fuso FG Canter Vacuum Tank!

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
Anyone who was spent any time in this type of truck knows that the factory seats are horrible for anything more than a short trip to the store. After driving butt numb in our first box truck all the way to and from a Florida, upgraded seats were high on the priority list for this truck! I decided to to go a slightly different route than a lot of people, and instead of an air ride seat, these are spring suspension. I find them immensely comfortable!

Mitsubishi Fuso FG Canter gets new SEATS!

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
With the metalwork wrapping up, I needed to re-make the square holes that hold the trim clips in place. Unfortunately I don’t own any square drill bits, so I had to come up with a square hole solution!

Mitsubishi Fuso fitting square pegs into round holes

atIOIYIOI

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingston, Ontario
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3BWR
Service Branch
Fire Rescue
PAINT! Finally the metalwork is done to a point where I can cover it all up and move on! I’ve used Chassis Saver paint before on a Landcruiser Frame and loved how it went on. Time for some more!

Final Floor Repairs Done! Mitsubishi Fuso FG Canter