Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
That´s good - so it will be 00:30 Saturday CET which would make it more relaxed to check in from across the pond! Maybe hear you next time then!
My apologies Bjoern, I may have counted the wrong direction. Net start time will be 01:30 UTC.
Ed - N7PHY

Reactions: El-Dracho

rDan

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Wekiva Springs Road, Longwood, Florida 32779, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Monteiro
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N4VVI
Service Branch
Navy
Great net tonight! Thank you everyone who could make it and everyone who has supported this effort. Coming up on 2 years!

Here are my notes from this evening.

NOTE - The net start time will remain 20:30 EDT, 17:30 PDT following this weeks time change. UTC start time will shift to 23:30 Friday.

Take care!
73 - Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net
Date:10/30/2020Net Control:N7PHYEchoLink: 591550
Topic: Open
Check InCall SignNameLocationNotes
1VA2EEKDonQuebecSearch rescue meeting, buying new dmr radios. Recommending not buy cheap dmr radios. 300-400 good price range for dmr. C4FM has better codec and sounds better.
2KI5BEE/VE3CalvinTorontoUsing echolink app. Suggestion: lessons learned from overlanders. how to better prepare for next time.
3KJ7LKLDrannanArlington WAFirst time. Interested in APRS and how it is used in overlanding.
4KN4UJJDananFloridadirector ob - Had to leave early.
5VK7VWKRandallHobart TasmaniaOut with scouts working JOTA. Interested in Brien's projects.
6K7XPOBrienTusconProjects: Re-ran wiring to back of truck to connect 110v to shore power. Plug in fridge to ac and dc for auto switch over when shore power is available. Onboard air system complete. Working on galley this weekend. (check out Brien's videos on youtube)
7W8ILLWillMIEverything is going ok. Tech net tonight on GnG. 11 pm Eastern. Saturday at 2 and 3 for ARRL newsline.
8KJ7MWFSamORHad to leave early.
9NB9DNealMECold up in Paris ME. Been experimenting with DroidStar phone app and winlink. Having fun dig packet stuff.
10N4VVIDanFloridaHam radio trophy for ob hams. And does net count as ralley meet up?
11KB6POERichardCADoing well. Looking at prices of offroad vehicles. Why going up?
12VK2DYRobertAustraliaThunderstorms today. Net moving an hour next week.?
Hi! I just wanted to follow up and confirm that it seems HAM NET's do qualify for the OB Ambassador Member II badge trophy. I submitted a verification along with screenshot of EchoLink. I've also started another thread and post, inspired by our brief conversion on Friday, regarding the Off-road Ranger II and III descriptions. Feedback welcome.

Now, I'm just standing by on OB Challenger Off-road Ranger I trophy to be unlocked. :)

73's!

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello everyone.
I'll be your net control this evening for the OB net. It's the first Friday of the month so our topic is 'new HAM Q&A'. Any HAM radio question or topic is on the table, including installation of radios and antennas in our rigs.
Hope to hear you tonight!
Ed - N7PHY

Overland Bound Ham Radio Net for November 6 2020.

Topic: HAM Radio Q&A

Net Control: Ed N7PHY

When: Friday November 6th (North America) 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC

Where: Echolink Conference Server 591550 *USA-GNG* , also DMR TG 1137550, and Allstar 41130

Reactions: rDan and El-Dracho

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Hope to get on tonight. Friday evenings are typically booked for me and have been for over a year. I have missed talking with all of you

WØNUT

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hope to get on tonight. Friday evenings are typically booked for me and have been for over a year. I have missed talking with all of you

WØNUT
Hey Tom. We miss you too. Look forward to catching up whenever you are able to join again.
Thanks! - Ed

Rambler

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ontario
First Name
Calvin
Last Name
C
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BEE
Tonight we discussed suggestions of magmount antennas for HT. Though I no longer run a magmout, I had heard good reviews about this one from Comet. The bonus being the whip can unscrew from the magmount with ease.

Comet M-24SJ - VHF/UHF Dual Band Mag Mount Mobile Ham Radio Antenna

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
For Mobile APRS I use a Baofeng radio connected to a Mobilinked TNC 3 paired via Bluetooth to my iPhone running APRS.FI

The Mobileinked TNC 3 is kind of speedy at 119.00 plus cable and shipping, but it is very reliable and has more uses than just Baofeng radios. I can connect it to my Icom IC-7100, Yaseue FT-400XDR, and even my home brewed KT-790H commercial radio.
The TNC2 is just as good as the TNC3, it just doesn’t have IOS support.

you can find more about the Mobilinked TNCs at

For Android search for APRSDroid, For Apple APRS.FI

E99A3566-240A-4FE6-8289-1CA2635B6C89.jpeg

I also use my TNC3 for other packet radio applications like Winlink email, PSK32, and RITTY. The TNC2 is a 1200 Baud KISS TNC, the TNC3 is a 1200/9600 Baud KISS TNC3 which allows for even more options to do digital communications.

I also pair my TNC3 with my Raspberry Pi digital hamshack written by Jason KM4ACK. You can also find Jason on YouTube.

Last edited:

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone who joined our net last night. I understand some folks had trouble connecting to the GnG conference server. My apologies for the difficulties. I'll check with the GnG gang to see if they know what might be the problem.
Here are some notes from the meeting but please continue to chime in to the thread with links and pics. It's great to see the suggestions and solutions.
73! - Ed

Overland Bound Amatuer Radio Net
Date:11/6/2020Net Control:N7PHYEchoLink: 591550
Topic: New HAM Q&A
1zl2rsaShaunNew ZealandPlanning overland adventure over new year break. Quad band radio in truck running 2m 70cm. Bought diplexer but not hooked up yet. Antenna mounted to bumper.
2ki5bee/ve3CalvinTorontoTook ext trip and found APRS has good infrastructure up north. Watched Brien's video's and picked up some aprs setup tips. Heard good things about mag mount from comet.
3W8ILLWillMISetting up his atomic clock for utc. Traded for a Yaesu 450 HF rig. Built a 'haywire' antenna (?) out of a whip.
4NB9DNealParis MEWorking with droid star and echolink. Also working with IC746 on 80 m.
5N6CESFrankWAWorking on ant feedthrough at window. Putting up HF and 70cm repeater antenna. About the mag mount, ran uv5r with small mag mount with thin wire for antenna. Held really well on roof. Careful with thin coax, repeated bending broke coax eventually.
6N4VVIDanFLNo mic. Text check in. Well, I've had my license for just over a year. originally KN4VVI. Shortened it so I could fit it on my license plate. I have an Icom ID4100a in my jeep with a diamond antenna and a ID51a+2 for HT.
7N7BMHBrianIDNo mic. Text check in.
8kf0ajnRobCOSuggestions for mag mount ant with baufeng? Thank you for input. Like ht and mag mount because can move between rigs. Q: have done APRS through Baufeng? KJ7MFJ using tnc and mobile phone as well as home brew with laptop. Mobilink
9KJ7MFVMikeORStudying for extra. Exam on the 14th. Last time exam held at club founders house. Mobilnkd TNC3 plug n play for APRS connected to HT and paired with iphone.

Some mag-mount antenna links:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
For Mobile APRS I use a Baofeng radio connected to a Mobilinked TNC 3 paired via Bluetooth to my iPhone running APRS.FI

The Mobileinked TNC 3 is kind of speedy at 119.00 plus cable and shipping, but it is very reliable and has more uses than just Baofeng radios. I can connect it to my Icom IC-7100, Yaseue FT-400XDR, and even my home brewed KT-790H commercial radio.
The TNC2 is just as good as the TNC3, it just doesn’t have IOS support.

you can find more about the Mobilinked TNCs at

For Android search for APRSDroid, For Apple APRS.FI

View attachment 175987

I also use my TNC3 for other packet radio applications like Winlink email, PSK32, and RITTY. The TNC2 is a 1200 Baud KISS TNC, the TNC3 is a 1200/9600 Baud KISS TNC3 which allows for even more options to do digital communications.

I also pair my TNC3 with my Raspberry Pi digital hamshack written by Jason KM4ACK. You can also find Jason on YouTube.
You said a mouth full there Mike. One of these days I may learn to speak Chinese so I can understand all this mumbo jumbo ! I am glad to hear all of you are having so much fun on the radio. If I had a short wave radio could I pick you up ?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You said a mouth full there Mike. One of these days I may learn to speak Chinese so I can understand all this mumbo jumbo ! I am glad to hear all of you are having so much fun on the radio. If I had a short wave radio could I pick you up ?
Probably not, Even though we are using radios (well some of us) we are transmitting to an internet room called a gateway or more specifically a node where are transmission is transferred from Radio Frequencies to digital internet signals, then piped out to a digital repeater, phone, or computer. So where buried in this thread is how to listen in on your PC via a web browser without the need for a license.

Jim, if you need me to breakdown my mouthful posted earlier, let me know what you need/want to understand.

APRS- Automatic Packet Radio System- for a short dirty description: GPS tracking via radio with a little bit of text messaging... check out aprs.fi you can see all the APRS stations a crossed the world, search for a person by their call sign to send them a short text message, as well as lots of other cool radio information (Some GMRS repeaters are also listed on aprs.fi)

APRSDroid- A stand alone phone application for Android Devices to see the information posted to APRS.FI

WinLink- a Radio Based Elail Client platform similar to the old AOL/NetScape emailing software

TNC-terminal node controller- a device similar to a dial up modem. Used for accessing digital radio communications with a laptop and a radio.

Blackey

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo NM
First Name
Michael
Last Name
White
I’m new to ham have a baofeng radio or two I bought thing they were legal with a license I know better now and would like to listen in some time but I’m not sure of the freq. I’m going to try and get a license as soon as a testing facility in a reasonable distance has a session but none in the local area are open.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
I’m new to ham have a baofeng radio or two I bought thing they were legal with a license I know better now and would like to listen in some time but I’m not sure of the freq. I’m going to try and get a license as soon as a testing facility in a reasonable distance has a session but none in the local area are open.
Hi Michael,
Though a few repeaters are often linked for the net, the OB Amateur Radio net meets on echolink which allows hams everywhere to join. If you are unfamiliar with echolink, check out the web site Introducing EchoLink. To get started you'll need to download the app then register with your call sign. Once up and running, come find us on the Grits-n-Gravy conference server 591550.
Let us know if you run into any issues getting setup.
Ed - N7PHY

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
December 1st in person testing will be changing to online only as the ARRL is changing the testing software. If a VE team has printed off test the paper tests are good until May 31st and then all paper tests are to be destroyed on June 1st.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Hello everyone.
Please join us Friday evening for the OB Echolink net. This week we'll be discussing gadgets and accessories we would like to add to our kit. Can be for the rig, camping gear, cooking, whatever. Of course, if you have nothing to add we still want to hear how you are doing.

Who: All licensed Amateur Radio operators are welcome to check-in.
Day: Friday (U.S.)
Time : 17:30 hours PST / 2030 hours EST (01:30 UTC)
Where : Echolink Node 591550 (USA-GNG) known also as Grits N Gravy, DMR TG 1137550 and Allstar 41130

Anyone can listen only here www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/29437/web

Would you like to join us as a net controller? We appreciate any assistance, whether as regular, occasional, or backup net controller. If you are interested please reach out to one of the net control operators here in the forum and we'll get you set up.

Hope to hear you on the net Friday. Thanks!

73!
Ed - N7PHY

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Thank you everyone for making tonight such a great net. As mentioned tonight, this was our final net hosted on the Grits-n-Gravy conference server. Starting next week we will be meeting on the Starlink Conf conference server # 357087. We'll miss hanging out with Will W8ILL and the GnG gang but look forward to the expanded coverage of the new node. For more info check out their websites STARLINKSYSTEM and White Mountain Repeater Association.

Also, during the net I received an email from Larry, K7RFX letting me know he hosts a 2 meter simplex node in Tuscon AZ linked to the net. If anyone is in the Tuscon area give it a try at 145.550 with a PL tone of 127.3 Hz.

73!
Ed N7PHY

Overland Bound Amateur Radio Net
Date:11/20/2020Net Control:N7PHYEchoLink: 591550
Topic: gadgets and accessories we would like to add to our kit. Can be for the rig, camping gear, cooking, whatever.
1KE6GVKMikeAZIn/Out. Monitoring should we have any questions regarding starlink conf srv switch.
2KI5BEE/VE3CalvinONT CANADAHave all the gadgets I need. Been delaying a water tank project. Have a love hate relationship with bed slide I built. Topics - what would folks like for holiday?
3KJ7OJXGregSE Tuscon AZLooking to sell a PSC stinger compound bow if anyone is interested. Contact via QRZ.
4W6RZRGaryCALooking for more adventures in CA. Topics - in reach details and peoples experiences with use, how to get most out of it.
5K7XPOBrienTuscon AZ2 year anniversary coming up. Mention pressurizing water. Look at pressure switches on amzn. Thread into plumbing fittings with elec switch to kill power if over pressure. Gadget everybody should have - jump box(?) li battery with jumper cables. NCCO genius boost G?-40. Second gadget - tool to have is good set of jumper cables and case of gelding sticks r7018 rods to make emergency weld with battery system.
6K7ZOOCurtTuscon AZWebbing from strap works. Ratcheting reels. Can sew webbing to make exact length custom webbing. Labels with sharpie.
7VK7VWKRandallHobart TasmaniaNew gadget. New go pro camera for cycling and vehicle traveling. GoPro9. Van is becoming one big gadget. Fixing router bench to build shelving in back. Just obtained set of curtains for backing out.
8KN6MEUJustinCAHave go pro and drone. Latest was in reach mini. Have Mojave trip coming up. New ham Wednesday.
9VK2DYRobertSydney AustraliaJust saying hello.
10KA7OLEOleWAMade trip through Mojave, just back. Absolutely amazing. Gadgets-switched to fridge. Now looking for better way to strap down. Base plate and slide? Agree on jump starter suggestion. Don't forget to recharge every so often.Comment on in reach mini - bought for hike. Relay links it. Turn s on plan when needs it. Sends location and can send txt message out. Bluetooth connection for easier typing messages.
11KO4ISGDannyNCSet sights on DMR radio.
12W6TEDTedCANew call sign! would like an inexpensive android tablet to run engine data app (torque). Would also like to re-gear to488 rear differential.
13N8PPEDennisOHWarrant OH. Found our net.
14KD8SUMJohnOH
15KJ7NWPGregAZGadget - always had onboard air setup and tire plugs.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
Hello everyone, wanted to expand on the move to a different server for the Friday Night Weekly Net. This is a good move, even thou we all have come to enjoy the Grits N Gravy gang, the owners of that server are the same people at Starlink. They are needing that server to expand the capabilities of the Starlink server and want to expand it. So this will allow more ways to connect and better listening for non hams and new hams that can't transmit yet as they are going to have a better connection soon with little lag. If you look at the website you will see there are move ways to connect along with a connection to the XLX830D reflector. The Rally Point info has been modified to show the new node number and Starlink.

We are desperately needing more NET Controllers....the current list is getting taxed too much and needs some help. Please let us know if interested, its easy, you can pick the dates you want and its a great group that we want to keep going.

Thanks Brent W7BR

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Following up on Brent's comments above, the Starlink folks have created a flyer for us. It conveniently lists all the ways to connect. They mentioned D-Star is coming soon as well.

Following our net is a tech round table on the same node/frequencies. It's pretty interesting if you have radio tech questions or just like to learn more.

I'll attach the flyers below.
Thanks!
Ed - N7PHY

Attachments