Forester XT build - Overland/Bugout

• HTML tutorial

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Back from Pismo. Didn't get to play in the sand this time around. However, my son and his bball team took the championship.

Next on the list is Zion National Park, UT in October for our anniversary. My wife and I are planning to fly to Vegas then grab a rental, drive to Zion N.P. and hike The Narrows.

Anyone taken this trip before? Any tips? Food spots? I'm trying to convince my wife to camp 1 night. Well see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

So I tried X-Mode on some down hill sections. It worked as it managed my breaking and speed however the breaking was pretty abrupt. Is that normal? It has me and my son jolting forward at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: WindyCity_MDX

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Quick video taking the SJ Off roading...

Rookie key take aways
1. tie everything down in the car
2. dont rush, take your time - even to air down
3. better safe than sorry
4. SJ will surprise you =)
5. slow is fast on the trails
6. creaking sounds are normal (to an extent)
7. the OB community is great - no judgement on what you drive

Last edited:

WindyCity_MDX

Rank II

Enthusiast III

looks like the Forester did a fairly good job for you and thanks for sharing your takeaways. the takeaways are a good reference for me as i've never taken my MDX off road, yet.

Reactions: krzyboy2o

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

looks like the Forester did a fairly good job for you and thanks for sharing your takeaways. the takeaways are a good reference for me as i've never taken my MDX off road, yet.
Any time! The support here is amazing.

Scheduled my 90k service at GarageOne on Campbell for Thursday. I'll have them check the oil leak from the transfer case other than that it'll be a routine check up. Hopefully...

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
So I tried X-Mode on some down hill sections. It worked as it managed my breaking and speed however the breaking was pretty abrupt. Is that normal? It has me and my son jolting forward at times.
Depending on the grade the hill descent control portion of X mode can be a bit much. In other words when you're driving around in X mode and you start down even the slightest hill it wants to take over and its really not necessary. I typically turn it off for any sections like that but on the steeper stuff you want to be sure you have it turned on before you start going down. That should alleviate any of the abruptness. Hopefully you've been trying it on the uphill sections as well haha.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Depending on the grade the hill descent control portion of X mode can be a bit much. In other words when you're driving around in X mode and you start down even the slightest hill it wants to take over and its really not necessary. I typically turn it off for any sections like that but on the steeper stuff you want to be sure you have it turned on before you start going down. That should alleviate any of the abruptness. Hopefully you've been trying it on the uphill sections as well haha.
Thanks for the the post. I'm still learning how the AWD system/X-Mode works on the Subaru's. Thought X-Mode was only for downhills as the dash light shows. There's a section in the video (9min mark) where the LC went down a slope. Was too chicken to go down cause I wasn't sure if I could've gotten out. That brings me to my next question.

Aside from the stock tow hook, what other locations can we tow from for recovery on our Subaru's?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks for the the post. I'm still learning how the AWD system/X-Mode works on the Subaru's. Thought X-Mode was only for downhills as the dash light shows. There's a section in the video (9min mark) where the LC went down a slope. Was too chicken to go down cause I wasn't sure if I could've gotten out. That brings me to my next question.

Aside from the stock tow hook, what other locations can we tow from for recovery on our Subaru's?
X mode is a lot more than hill descent control. It is for going uphill or downhill, moving forward AND it also works in reverse. It works at any speed <18 mph and will drastically improve low traction situations. On trails I typically turn it on and leave it on until I know its no longer needed. I also turn traction control off but what I'm trying to stress to you is that its a great traction aide. There is no harm in using it yet I see too many people get into jams first and then reach for X mode... smh..

There are no other recovery options aside from the OE tow hook locations. They were designed to be used to recover the vehicle but every effort should be made to make it a straight line recovery.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Getting maintenance work done at GarageOne in Campbell. So far so good.

As far as the leak, the tech said it's common for SJ's. It's either the O-ring or the seals that need to be replaced.

In order to find out, the underbody needs to be cleaned of dirt, grease and grime.

Last edited:

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Just got the report sent to my phone.

For guys running Whiteline RSB check your bolts frequently! It's common for them to come unscrewed.

Rear Main seal is also a common problem for SJ

Just keep an eye out and check your oil every other gas fill-ups

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

trying to remember what I studied in college.. haha

DPDT switch for the 2-way light bar. (On - Off - On)

So my plan is to bend a piece of acrylic to match the lines of the cubby beneath CLA to house my switches, USB ports, and battery meter.

We'll see how it goes. [emoji51]

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Just read your build thread Andre. You've done quite a bit to you Subaru! That video is rad you made. Hope you had fun at Hollister. We got into a couple blue trails which is pretty impressive. Later

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Yesterday during my maintenance check my battery failed the charging test. It's capacity is at 43% after going flat a month ago. I then went and bought a Deka Intimidator AGM however I'm having second thoughts as the warranty is only 30 months. I'm debating if I should return that and spend the extra $60 on an Oddessy that has better specs and a 4 year warranty.

Another option is it keep the Deka use Amazon rewards points and get an Oddessy for a dual battery setup. If you chose this route, what would be your primary and secondary? What and where would you mount?

It's fun building this rig and researching all the options but hardest part of this making the decisions... [emoji848][emoji51]

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yesterday during my maintenance check my battery failed the charging test. It's capacity is at 43% after going flat a month ago. I then went and bought a Deka Intimidator AGM however I'm having second thoughts as the warranty is only 30 months. I'm debating if I should return that and spend the extra $60 on an Oddessy that has better specs and a 4 year warranty.

Another option is it keep the Deka use Amazon rewards points and get an Oddessy for a dual battery setup. If you chose this route, what would be your primary and secondary? What and where would you mount?

It's fun building this rig and researching all the options but hardest part of this making the decisions..
I don't know the ratings on the battery you purchased. I'm sure it would it would be good to you, especially on a daily but I am a fan of Odyssey. I installed a rebranded Odyssey when my car was only a year old.

As far as dual battery goes if I decide thats necessary for my Outback it will be going in the spare tire well. Not a lot of options on a Subaru outside of that.

krzyboy2o

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

San Jose, CA
Member #

Calling it a night...

Bussman waterproof relay installed

Light bar finally all wired up.

Tomorrow's tasks

• Buy wire black loom engine looks like a circus.

• Wire up National Luna battery monitor (is this a direct battery connect or off ACC?)

• Fabricate a switch panel and wrap in vinyl

• Instal rear cargo led light switch

• Install 2 USB ports (constant on)

More pics will be posted tomorrow