Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I didn't think there was much interest here in fly fishing before but after seeing a few other's posts in various threads it appears I'm not the only one here hooked on it. (Pun very much intended)
So, Fly Fishermen and Women, show yourselves! Where is your home water, what's your favorite catch, what's your favorite fly?

I'll start.
I'm Chris
My true home water is in New Hampshire but my new home water is now Central Texas.
I've always loved Rainbow Trout but I am finding myself targeting Redfish a lot down here.
My favorite fly is an olive damsel concoction I've been working on. Its pretty productive on rivers and creeks here in the hill country.

Chris,

Where in Central Texas are you throwing line? I would assume the Guadalupe, however lately... not so much. I've done some fly fishing up in Wyoming, Colorado, etc but mostly in Laguna Madre down south. I've often considered hitting up the Guadalupe and such, I just haven't done it. My Son is just now getting serious about fishing, and I want to teach him to throw flies before he gets too dead set on lunker fishing with a spinning reel.

J-man fishing by Dave Hunter, on Flickr

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

The Guad is a great river. I'm In Austin so I fish most of the creeks around here. I also like the Pedernales and Llano. Brushy Creek is good too, if you don't mind running into snakes. Lunkers are more fun on a fly rod so I don't think you have to worry too much there. Nothing wrong with fishing both types of gear. I break out the spinning rod sometimes too. If you guys want more specifics or a Hill Country fishing buddy let me know. I'm always up for some mid air knot tying [emoji12].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: YYJ-JKUR

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The Guad is a great river. I'm In Austin so I fish most of the creeks around here. I also like the Pedernales and Llano. Brushy Creek is good too, if you don't mind running into snakes. Lunkers are more fun on a fly rod so I don't think you have to worry too much there. Nothing wrong with fishing both types of gear. I break out the spinning rod sometimes too. If you guys want more specifics or a Hill Country fishing buddy let me know. I'm always up for some mid air knot tying [emoji12].

I'm in Austin as well, I've never even considered fly fishing Brushy Creek, where are you throwing that line at? I ride the mountain bike out there a lot, and that picture of my Son was actually taken there. Over by the rail trestle, we saw a lot of smaller fish hanging out in the shallows and I told Jack "too bad we don't have fly rods with us" but I wasn't really serious. that's a great idea.

As far as Pedernales the State Park is our "Home Park" for small camping trips and such, and we've done some spinning reel stuff there, but again, I didn't think that through.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Pedernales is epic, if you have the patience. I fish Bull Creek a lot, the Colorado below the dam is fun. Red Bud Island is often action packed. My friend has some land on the llano out in mason so that's fun when I want a fair enter that I'm the only person out there. You can throw flies in all the same places as a spinning rod. Takes some practice and knowledge of what to throw and how to retrieve but is very rewarding when successful.

Reactions: RiverCityDave

Ontario Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hanover,Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Cerutti
Member #

I've been fishing since I could stand on my own. Only 3 years ago I tried fly fishing for the first time. I was hooked instantly. Here the saugeen river runs tight behind my house, makes for some great browns and bass fishing. The steelhead run in the fall can be pretty epic aswell.

Dillon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ8J
Orvis has that free introduction program going on right now. My wife and I took the fly fishing 101 course two weeks ago and are taking the 102 course this Sunday. They are both free, Orvis supplies the equipment. Contact your closest Orvis store to get more information.

This looks like it will be fun!

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I grew up fly fishing in Indiana. My Dad was an active member in the Indianapolis FFF chapter. He made my first fly rod by hand, for my tenth birthday. My favorite fly is the first one I learned to tie, the Timberwolf. Took a lot of Hoosier bass and bluegill with them. My favorite catch was Silver Salmon in a remote creek in Alaska. Ran about 10 pounds and was a load of fun to land! Unfortunately it has been at least ten years since I have had a fly rod in my hands. I miss it very much. It is my favorite way to fish. I need to do something about that real soon...

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Tuolumne Meadows, this is my wife! We just got into fly fishing and love it!

THAT is beautiful right there.

Gorgeous

Pedernales is epic, if you have the patience. I fish Bull Creek a lot, the Colorado below the dam is fun. Red Bud Island is often action packed. My friend has some land on the llano out in mason so that's fun when I want a fair enter that I'm the only person out there. You can throw flies in all the same places as a spinning rod. Takes some practice and knowledge of what to throw and how to retrieve but is very rewarding when successful.

I just found a guy who posts on IG about fly fishing Brushy Creek. Living waters fly fishing

I really enjoy small woodworking, and Im really leaning forward with trying my hand at bamboo rods. It's somethingmy dad used to do, so I have a little familiarity with it, and Im ok with screwing a few up before I get it right.

I'm taking my oldest boy fishing monday on the San Gabriel. Probably just a few hours, but good times.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We spent the day fishing the North Fork of the San Gabriel yesterday, both with flies, and with spin baits. We did really well on red rooster tails, so we dug up some red dragonflies and bang! It was a good day on the river. For whatever reason, I don't seem to have any pictures with the fly rods, even though I know I got a beautiful video somewhere of my son's casting technique.

IMG_4272.JPG Jackson is on the left with his fly rod (a glass Shakespeare with a cheap reel) and Grace is on the right with her trust 202.
IMG_4327.JPG
She is 9 and still pretty awkward with a fly rod, but she is more than willing to keep trying, and she usually masters whatever she tries within a few attempts, so I expect her to be out fishing us all soon. Yesterday she had the biggest fish of the day, albeit with a rooster tail and a Zebco 202.
IMG_4301.JPG
He is 13 and a natural outdoors man. He regularly surprises me with his ease of picking these things up, given his difficulties with some other things in life.

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

So I have been wanting to get into fly fishing for a long time and received my first fly rod for my birthday this year! However, I have no idea what I am doing. I have watched youtube and have kinda figured out the basics of casting and what not. I grew up fishing off boats so fishing in a river will be very different than what I am used to. That being said, I was hoping I could get some info from you more experienced anglers. What part of a river is best for fishing, is there a certain type of flow in a river that fish favor? I most likely will be fishing for trout. Are there any tips/tricks I should know?

Justin_0237

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vacaville, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mulrooney
Member #

I haven't been to a class yet but I know that if you have a store called ORVIS by you they do free classes on Saturdays for beginners. Check out their website and see if you can find a store nearby and take advantage of the program