First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Arne,

Thanks for the information and the link. This seems to be also good possibility.

I will now just think about a little concept, because I would like to embed this course in a nice weekend where we also have time to talk to each other, get to know members, camp, visit something and drink a beer or two together. So a training location here in the area where I live would be good because I know some nice places here. Will discuss a possible training with the GRC and see what they could offer us.

Bjoern

Reactions: vanlife4x4

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Today I had a very good conversation with my contact person at GRC and I think we have a good idea how we can organize it. I will get an offer in the next few days. Could take some time - due to C19 cirumstances and the new measures in this regard. I keep the topic on the radar and take care of it. Will keep you informed, guys!

Take care and stay safe!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Just a quick update on this. Was in contact with the GRC today because of another small project and the employees there really have a lot of work related to C19, as you can imagine. So I'm still waiting for a concrete offer for first aid training. That may take a while. Isn't that bad either, because we can't plan anything in the near future anyway.

I'll keep an eye on this and keep you posted.

Cheers, Bjoern

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Of course we can't plan anything at the moment, but I'm still working on the subject. Meanwhile also got feedback from the GRC. It is currently assumed that something like this can be safely planned again for the summer, courses will certainly be permitted here again. A few cornerstones of what we could do then:
  • Duration 2 days (at least 11 teaching units)
  • Location according to our specifications near Heidelberg (outdoor)
  • First aid topics of a basic course, expanded to include the topics of outdoor and sport and our needs (tbd)
  • Handout for each participant
  • Certificate for each participant
  • One trainer and a training assistant
  • Soft drinks during the course included
  • Group size request at least 6, maximum 20
  • Billing could be done by a flat-rate invoice of around 1,250 Euros, so we should think carefully about the required group size and whether we really get so many participants together that it is affordable for everyone
That´s it for today. We can't plan that in the near future anyway and we should all focus on getting this pandemic under control somehow so that we can pursue our passion for overlanding and outdoor activities again.

Take care and stay healthy!

Björn

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

So, basicly if 10 people are wiling to come and do a payment in advance it would be 125€ for a two day training.
If we can find a nice little campsite that allowes us to camp together (withing corona margins) and have the training there it would be a around 150 euro for the weekend per person. Excluded gas and food.
Ok, we are in!!!

Thanks Bjoern, its a blast you are organising this.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
So, basicly if 10 people are wiling to come and do a payment in advance it would be 125€ for a two day training.
If we can find a nice little campsite that allowes us to camp together (withing corona margins) and have the training there it would be a around 150 euro for the weekend per person. Excluded gas and food.
Ok, we are in!!!

Thanks Bjoern, its a blast you are organising this.
Yes, that´s it basically! I am already looking for a campsite. There are several nearby. Downside on many campsites in Germany - no campfire allowed. But I have already some locations in mind where maybe we can combine camping and the training in one location. Will check that out...

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I would just like to refresh this important topic here again. The topic is simply too important.

So I spoke to my contact at the GRC these days. The first aid training courses will soon start again under appropriate hygiene concepts, such as testing the participants before the course begins.

So maybe in the near future there will be a possibility to conduct a course for us with a well thought-through concept. Yes, right, we also have to think about the fact that members from outside Germany are allowed and able to enter the country safely and can also return home without quarantine or the like.

Well, before we now deepen the topic and think about a concept, I would like to know from you, who of you would still like to participate in principle, please. Please keep in mind that we will surely have to arrange some things differently like overnight stays, contacts, testing before training etc.

Thanks for a short info here in the thread.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks for all the quick response so far! So I count 4 interested plus my girlfriend and me, that makes 6. Very good. We will need 10+ people to make this financially viable. So let's see how many interested people we get together here in the next few days.

Reactions: NotGumby

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Thanks for all the quick response so far! So I count 4 interested plus my girlfriend and me, that makes 6. Very good. We will need 10+ people to make this financially viable. So let's see how many interested people we get together here in the next few days.
My wife will attend as well. 7...

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi guys,

Just a biref update regarding this. Currently, a concept is being worked on how the trainings could be carried out under an appropriate hygiene concept with the use of C19 rapid antigen tests etc. I will probably know more about this in about 2 weeks and will report back here. Stay tuned...

Cheers, Björn

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello all,

I am still working on the topic and we are looking for solutions how we can conduct such a training even if we still have this current uncertainty regarding the restrictions. So, the following update on this:
  • In summer there will be again dates for the first aid courses related to outdoor and sports situations at the GRC
  • The current idea, I discussed with my contact at the GRC is, that we could participate in one of the dates (a Saturday) and thus first refresh the usual and important 1st aid basics and learn special techniques for the outdoor area, this includes 11 lessons
  • The course starts in the teaching room and then moves outside
  • In the evening we will deepen the topics with nice and relaxed conversations around the campfire
  • On the next day (Sunday) we will get more lessons, now focused on the topics that are of special interest to us as overlanders (there we can and should provide input)
  • Conclusion with a coffee in the afternoon
  • All lessons are certified, so that the course is recognized as a first aid course for several purposes (in Germany) and also contains the special topics.
So that´s the basic idea currently. This approach would have the advantage that we are not too dependent on a defined minimum number of participants from us OB people, so that it can take place or it remains for each individual in an acceptable financial framework (because we have the other participants with us in the first part). Everybody could book himself and for the special overlanding part (evening plus next day) we will pay then - a still to be discussed - additional contribution beyond the normal course fee of currently Euro 65 (my estimated guess is that we will be around 120 Euro in total p.P. then)

On Saturday we would do then the regular first aid course in outdoor and sports situations with the usual participants and the rest in the evening and next day for us OB members with the GRC trainers.

The following dates are currently scheduled for the regular course:

Sa 05.06.2021
Sa 17.07.2021
Sa 18.09.2021

Please note: Participants will be required to provide proof of a daily negative COVID-19 rapid or self-test. There will also be a mask requirement (medical or FFP-2 mask). Participation with acute signs of a cold, feeling ill, if acute illness is present, and if home quarantine or other isolation measures have been ordered is excluded.

Questions about this:
  • Would that approach be OK for you in general?
  • Which dates could you attend?
  • Next to it, of course, is still the offer for the special course just for us as OB people at a date of our choice. Then we would only really have to get 10 people together and they have to actually participate/ pay the participation fee so that this also remains financially attractive for everyone
What do you think? Please let me know here in this thread. I will then consolidate the feedback and talk to the GRC again.

I look forward to your opinions and ideas about it! How we will plan the journey to the event location and maybe common overnight stay from Friday to Saturday we will discuss and decide then separately. Also, maybe the possibility on Sunday to have a short tour together before everyone is leaving or so. A An overnight stay Saturday to Sunday for the participants at the site will be probably possible.We can discuss that later.

I am aware that it is difficult to plan in this dynamic situation. But let's just not lose sight of the topic, it is too important for that.

Thanks,

Björn

Last edited:
Reactions: vanlife4x4