Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

The link to that training, so I can see it and maybe we can do such thing with a group?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The link to that training, so I can see it and maybe we can do such thing with a group?
Ah, now I understand - communication in good manners is key...

The german red cross is divided into regional associations, each of which has its own internet presence and its own range of training courses. So everyone interested has to look at the local association or the local associations near their place of residence to see what kind of offer they have. For everyone around here: I was at the DRK Heidelberg for this training. The training takes place in the premises of the local association. According to the calendar, there are no more courses on emergencies in the sports and outdoor areas this year.

To organize such a training here for our ambitions, Dave @Polaris Overland had already offered one day in the whattsapp group to take it over. Interested parties could also get a PADI certificate then, when I got him right. Then there was someone in the whattsapp group who offered the possibility that a buddy of him - an ex marine - might do the training for us. I find it very promising and interesting to have someone as a trainer who comes from field medicine or more specialized areas.

Cheers, Bjoern

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Ah thank you, yes sorry, should have be more clearly.
Think training in the UK is great, just we need to check what the possibilities are of Dave and his mate.
And if we can do it through the red corss, they probarly provide training space and materials as well?
With just 60€ it is cheap and I guess very professional.

I hope others will reply to this as well.

Greetings from Robert

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Ah thank you, yes sorry, should have be more clearly.
Think training in the UK is great, just we need to check what the possibilities are of Dave and his mate.
And if we can do it through the red corss, they probarly provide training space and materials as well?
With just 60€ it is cheap and I guess very professional.

I hope others will reply to this as well.

Greetings from Robert
Hi Robert,

Yes, it was indeed very well organized and presented, paricipants got a lot of materials, many practical exercises and worth the 60 Euros. But you have to keep in mind, that it covers a broad range of outdoor activities. So one day is filled with a lot of information of course. Maybe a training which is more towards our special needs while overlanding is better. Depends on the focus we would like to set, so more outdoor activities or recreational activities while overlanding could be one direction. Then I would definetly recommend such a training we talk about here. The other direction could be more into remote travelling, then we need to include other skills.

Yeah, lets see what other OB members think.

Cheers, Bjoern

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

If we can have a group like 10 or more people we can ask them to pin point the training to our needs.
Materials, location and such are very important. And as there is a payment, people are more committed when they want to come.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
If we can have a group like 10 or more people we can ask them to pin point the training to our needs.
Materials, location and such are very important. And as there is a payment, people are more committed when they want to come.
Yes, that could be an idea. Depends on what we would like to do. Just a training for the day or a whole weekend at a nice camp location, good talks combined with several trainings re overlanding.

Let´s see what others think who are interested.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Robert and all other OB members who are interested in this,

Just took the opportunity today to discuss this option with a member of the GRC while I had a phonecall with them regarding another project where I have teamed-up with them. So it would be in general possible to get a special training for us with overlanding focus. English is not a problem. When we would like to do this, we would have to clearly define the focus and then they could give us a quote. At the end we would have to agree on the content of the training and the price (which depends also on the number of participants, I guess).

My suggestion is to collect ideas for that training here from all interested OB members. I just start with ideas:
  • training should include of course a biref fresh-up of basics
  • extended first aid kit and travel pharmacy
  • special situations while overlanding and how to handel them, such as intensive heat (desert), extreme altitudes (mountain sickness), attacks by (poisonous) animals, how to treat burn injuries (barbeque, campfire)
  • improvised transport of injured persons
  • a good balance between theory and practice
  • a lot of practical exercises outdoors, some planned plays through of certain situations in teams, such as finding an injured person, save, first aid, transport for further treatment and so on
What do you guys think?

Cheers, Bjoern

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Bjoern,

That is great. Poisonous animals is something that is a slight problem. As you will never have the antidote for that poison.
But if they can give some good advice and basic technics it will be great.

Would you be so kind to take this on you? I guess you have to wander around on the App/FB/Forum to get people involved.
But us two are in.

Two things if possible.

Location with camping? Think most of us like that. But then again if in winter I could like a nice Group accommodation.
Secondly ask for data when it could be. Try at least 3 months from now. People need time for this.

But if you take over, I will let you take charge and I will help as much as possible.

Greetings from Robert

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your thoughts. Let´s see what suggestions come together here in the next days. Will also reach out into the OB Mid Europe Whatts App Group to point people towards this topic here. Once we have some ideas and interested people together I will again reach out to my contact at the GRC.

Regarding the accomondation I have no idea at the moment, but will check. There are a few campsites in that area. I like your idea about camping. We all like that. Maybe we should plan this meeting for spring anyway as we can have more fun outdoors. I do not mind if it is cold, but if it is a typical wet winterday in Mid Europe it will be not so much fun.

Just an idea: meeting Friday evening on a campsite nearby, nice get to know, some beers; Saturday first aid course at GRC, camping afterwards and a little sightseeing tour on Sunday before everbody is leaving. I have already some ideas for that in mind as the area around Heidelberg, Germany where such a training would take place, offers a lot of possibilities.

One little remark - it would be important that it is mandatory for all participants to register and pay, as the course will cost money.

I'm going to let the topic run for a few days now, as I am going to be away for a few days anyway.

So, let´s collect further ideas. Who is interested in this?

Keep in touch!

Cheers, Bjoern

Last edited:

vanlife4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hamburg, Germany
Member #

Hey guys, I’m generally interested but as for many it depends on date and location. But I think there’s no other way to set a fixed date at some time and of course people then have to sign in mandatory and pay in advance.
I like the idea to do it outside on a weekend combined to a little meetup with camping. Would also prefer spring so we have enough time now and it doesn’t get dark so early anymore. Thanks for the efforts to this.

Arne

Constantin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Nuremberg, germany
First Name
Constantin
Last Name
Alecu
Member #

Hi Robert and all other OB members who are interested in this,

Just took the opportunity today to discuss this option with a member of the GRC while I had a phonecall with them regarding another project where I have teamed-up with them. So it would be in general possible to get a special training for us with overlanding focus. English is not a problem. When we would like to do this, we would have to clearly define the focus and then they could give us a quote. At the end we would have to agree on the content of the training and the price (which depends also on the number of participants, I guess).

My suggestion is to collect ideas for that training here from all interested OB members. I just start with ideas:
  • training should include of course a biref fresh-up of basics
  • extended first aid kit and travel pharmacy
  • special situations while overlanding and how to handel them, such as intensive heat (desert), extreme altitudes (mountain sickness), attacks by (poisonous) animals, how to treat burn injuries (barbeque, campfire)
  • improvised transport of injured persons
  • a good balance between theory and practice
  • a lot of practical exercises outdoors, some planned plays through of certain situations in teams, such as finding an injured person, save, first aid, transport for further treatment and so on
What do you guys think?

Cheers, Bjoern
That’s already a perfect overview of all important things that could occur as I cannot imagine further points to exercise on one day. In my opinion that’s perfect, Björn

Vetta

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Stuttgart, Germany
First Name
Sven
Last Name
K
Member #

I think that's a good setup with a weekend at the red cross in Heidelberg and I agree that we need to suggest a few dates in Spring. Is there a way in this app / forum to call a voting?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Great, guys! Thanks for the replies so far!

So if I got it right, we are already five people who are generally interested. That´s good news. Let´s keep it coming!

To keep track of things I'm going to start a list, that we simply can carry on here:

Robert (Robert OB 33/48)
Sven (Vetta)
Arne (vanlife4x4)
Constantin (Constantin)
Björn (El-Dracho)

Maybe we can add also with how many people everybody would like to attend as I can imagine some members attending with their partner. So we should get a good overview of the potential number of participants.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

1. Sven (Vetta)
2. Arne (vanlife4x4)
3. Constantin (Constantin)
4. Björn (El-Dracho)
5. Robert (Robert OB 33/48)
6. Frederique (Girlfriend/Dragonriders-navigator on the forum)

Lets continue.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
1. Sven (Vetta)
2. Arne (vanlife4x4)
3. Constantin (Constantin)
4. Björn (El-Dracho)
5. Robert (Robert OB 33/48)
6. Frederique (Girlfriend/Dragonriders-navigator on the forum)

Lets continue.
Hi guys,

I am just back from a little roadtrip to the alps. Was great.

I see that we have at least 6 people here on the list who are interested in this! Great!

@Robert OB 33/48 was there any other feedback in the whatsapp group or FB I missed in the meantime?

I am of course aware that the C19 situation is worsening again and it is questionable when we can meet for such an event, but I would like to bring this up to speed and be ready when we are able to meet again. Be prepared... you know... ;-)

So, I will draw a little conept the next days how such an event could look like and discuss with my contact at the GRC and then we will see what could be possible.

Stay tuned...

Bjoern

vanlife4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hamburg, Germany
Member #

Hi,

just to bring another option I found this company who is spezialized in workshops we're looking for.

They are doing standard workshops for remote area and outdoor first aid but also offering individual courses for groups like us.
As their 3 day course (RAEC Responder) with e-learning in preparation, certificate and RAEC Patch is 595€ and the 1-day outdoor course is 149€ I guess an individual 1 1/2 day workshop for us would be something like 300€. Should we ask them for an offer for more details?

Way more € than the GRC but I guess they are more spezialized in what we are looking for. Maybe Björn can rate this better as he knows the guys from GRC Heidelberg already.

It's just an option to think about because I thought thats exactly what we're looking for. If we go with the GRC Heidelberg I'm totally fine.

Cheers,

Arne