Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

Yeah that’s the challenge I mentioned previously. Everyone’s schedule is different. I like to roll in to camp at expo on Thursday but let me know either way.
Well, my thought is if I leave from work on Wednesday, I can make it to Flag Pole in about 6 hours or so. It will be a late arrival, but the Roof Top Tent sets up quick and we can wake up Thursday and take off from there. I have definitely operated on less sleep :tearsofjoy:

Yeah I know about the last one and responded to your post in MtnRoo Northeast. Glad to hear it man.
AHHHH yes! Thank you. I really appreciate it! Starting tomorrow, so I am pretty amped

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Question..... for those coming from/caravaning from other areas of our region , how is everyone going to mark their camp sites? Or will they?

I’ll be traveling down from VA/DC with a couple guys and I wanted to camp near other OB members if possible.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I am 3 hours North of you. What time did you want to roll out on Wed morning?
I honestly haven't settled on a time. Partially because I'm not sure if I'm going alone yet but its a straight through 6-7 hour drive to Flagpole for me. If we were rolling down together I could certainly be accommodating to the 3 hour jump that you need.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to interest a few more members into doing the same thing by the time November rolls around. It would be cool to meet and camp and then roll into Expo together.

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I honestly haven't settled on a time. Partially because I'm not sure if I'm going alone yet but its a straight through 6-7 hour drive to Flagpole for me. If we were rolling down together I could certainly be accommodating to the 3 hour jump that you need.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to interest a few more members into doing the same thing by the time November rolls around. It would be cool to meet and camp and then roll into Expo together.
It would be cool to roll in as a group! I could roll out around 5am and reach you by 8ish if that would work. We can fine tune it as we get closer.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

I'm sure that could work! Once @Ian McAdorey joins us that'll make 3... so what do you think @dziner @CFTAdventures @outwardbound?
I'd be up for that if we could solidify link up point somewhere in GNFW or enroute to the expo. Remember, I moved to southern IL this summer, so I've got a 9 hr drive down I-64 from here, so I can do a map recon tonight and see what a potential overlap to your route would be.

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

First day at the new job today kind of put a damper on these plans for me. I was banking up PTO from my previous job in order to utilize it to take some extra days off (Monday and Tuesday after Expo East) but I lost that PTO when I lost my job (thankfully I did get paid back the 70+ hours I banked up). New job only leaves me with 45 hours from now until the end of the year. If I am going, I may have to take it unpaid which doesn't let me take off the extra days. I have to weigh some options and get back to you guys

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

So based on my projected route from Belleville,IL, I'll be on I-24/40 the whole way thru Tennesee and pick up I 26 in Asheville. Depending on how you guys come down, we could link up at the I40/ I81 interchange, or in Asheville, and drive into Hendersonville together.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Remember, I moved to southern IL this summer
My bad man. I thought you moved but then I saw that it still says Columbia under your name there.

So based on my projected route from Belleville,IL, I'll be on I-24/40 the whole way thru Tennesee and pick up I 26 in Asheville. Depending on how you guys come down, we could link up at the I40/ I81 interchange, or in Asheville, and drive into Hendersonville together.
I'd imagine we'd be coming down 26 since the ride to 40 on 81 takes an additional 45+ minutes. There are an endless number of unique places we could link up, grab a bite, an adult beverage, or whatever south of the 26/40 confluence. Depending on how we drive out of Flagpole its probably a 7.5 hour drive to that point from there

First day at the new job today kind of put a damper on these plans for me. I was banking up PTO from my previous job in order to utilize it to take some extra days off (Monday and Tuesday after Expo East) but I lost that PTO when I lost my job (thankfully I did get paid back the 70+ hours I banked up). New job only leaves me with 45 hours from now until the end of the year. If I am going, I may have to take it unpaid which doesn't let me take off the extra days. I have to weigh some options and get back to you guys
It is what it is man. I hope you can make it but we all understand if you can't.

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

My bad man. I thought you moved but then I saw that it still says Columbia under your name there.

I'd imagine we'd be coming down 26 since the ride to 40 on 81 takes an additional 45+ minutes. There are an endless number of unique places we could link up, grab a bite, an adult beverage, or whatever south of the 26/40 confluence. Depending on how we drive out of Flagpole its probably a 7.5 hour drive to that point from there

It is what it is man. I hope you can make it but we all understand if you can't.
I'll have to update my signal and info. Somewhere in Ashevill sounds good. As we get closer we can identify a time and place.

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

Info updated (I think). So, reviewing the OXE site, Overland Experience, and Weekend Pass (With Camping) attendees can arrive and check in between 10am and 6pm Thursday. Having worked check in and parking last year, and not knowing the new venue this year, I think we need to ensure we are checked in before 6pm on Thursday as they'll close the check in desk and we could risk getting stuck outside the campground area or off the premises for the night.

The confluence of I-40, and I-26 (southwest of the city center/I-240) is 39 min (29 miles) away from REEB Ranch. Assuming we want to link up and grab a dinner and a beer, we'll need to link up around 3 or 4 pm at the latest, so we don't have to rush. And by that time of year, remember, it's after Daylight Savings Time, which means a 5-6PM nightfall. Down I-26, headed to Hendersonville, there are two decent restaurants, Stone Ridge Tavern, and Papas Beer and Mexican. They're just outside (South) of Asheville Outlets on Brevard Road.

Open to Suggestions.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Info updated (I think). So, reviewing the OXE site, Overland Experience, and Weekend Pass (With Camping) attendees can arrive and check in between 10am and 6pm Thursday. Having worked check in and parking last year, and not knowing the new venue this year, I think we need to ensure we are checked in before 6pm on Thursday as they'll close the check in desk and we could risk getting stuck outside the campground area or off the premises for the night.

The confluence of I-40, and I-26 (southwest of the city center/I-240) is 39 min (29 miles) away from REEB Ranch. Assuming we want to link up and grab a dinner and a beer, we'll need to link up around 3 or 4 pm at the latest, so we don't have to rush. And by that time of year, remember, it's after Daylight Savings Time, which means a 5-6PM nightfall. Down I-26, headed to Hendersonville, there are two decent restaurants, Stone Ridge Tavern, and Papas Beer and Mexican. They're just outside (South) of Asheville Outlets on Brevard Road.

Open to Suggestions.
No lie... I was going to mention Papa's Beer and Mexican and based our travel time to their front door haha. I'd say we have a decent tentative plan.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Just bought my tickets will be heading down the blue ridge trail and the sky line rd from pa, any one interested in linking up.
If you're leaving Wednesday and you'd like to play on dirt instead of asphalt you're more than welcome to join us on the opposite side of 81.

Reactions: Ian McAdorey