Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I’ve been around labs my whole life they’re awesome. We had to put our 4 yo silver down last year. She was a big time camper. Rode in the truck like that’s where she was born to be. She wasn’t from a hunting line so she didn’t have the high energy level our new yellow male does. He seems like he will make a great bird dog but whines a little more until he settles down in the truck. Either way they love to please and love to camp!

I find their loyalty to be very high. Trigger knows I’m the boss, and while he is friendly towards everyone, he responds best to me. Thanks for this thread!
Wore him out - He has big feet

Reactions: 9Mike2

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Sadie , our current Lab, was from a Breeder who raises them for law K9 or helper/blind/support, she failed as she is too nosey, has to check out everything. She had a brother who didn't past the tests, but as a couch Queen and part time hunter and is happy to go any where with us...

Reactions: Ubiety

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Did the a long road trip first time with my 6 months chocolate lab... It is the long hair one, I was told by the breeder that is a bad thing, it will not be accepted to shows - like I care. My wife just liked it so we took it.. :)

By long trip I mean first day I drove 16 hours and second day 12 hours.
Most of the time it was painless, something like this .
14387.jpg

As a first time owner I got lucky, he seems to be pretty lazy, if there is nothing special to do he seems content to just sleep or lie around. I remember it took about 4 days to hear him bark for the first time after I got him( he was about 3 months old ) . I was starting to get worried the breeder gave me a mute dog...
Found out a few things during this trip. This so called pet friendly hotels charge you extra for the dog :) . If you come drunk with some buddies and vomit all over, it is no issue...

We took him everywhere with us, he behaved very well in general. A couple of issues.If he sees any kind of water, from a small puddle to a dripping faucet up to a lake or river, he will go straight for it.
If there is no one around , an empty field or park for example, very good recall -never goes too far anyway. Where there are other people or other risks, recall does not work at all :) . But he is still a puppy and we work on it.
Otherwise seems he is good to go on camping trips.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Darn Hotel's Frustrate me on the Fee's - Drunk or even having Kids Ne fee's - I was told one Time it had to do with Pet Hair I asked her if there was a fee for Peanut's, She waived the Fee LOL
He does seem pretty laid back - Just about every Lab Love's water.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I used to take my English Lab on all of my trips. He was a great travel companion and would stop dead in his tracks if I called him back. I lost him in 2018.

I adopted my current pups (pit/rot/chow/cattle dog mutts) at the end of 2019 and they have been impossible to train in comparison to the lab. Individually they behave and listen okay, but with both of them together they will flat out ignore me. They love other people and other critters way too much. Taking them on a trip would simply be an awful experience for both the human and canine.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I used to take my English Lab on all of my trips. He was a great travel companion and would stop dead in his tracks if I called him back. I lost him in 2018.

I adopted my current pups (pit/rot/chow/cattle dog mutts) at the end of 2019 and they have been impossible to train in comparison to the lab. Individually they behave and listen okay, but with both of them together they will flat out ignore me. They love other people and other critters way too much. Taking them on a trip would simply be an awful experience for both the human and canine.
This is the Reason I am thinking of Trying a Dog Training / Overland Tour Company. do a Little Overlanding / Touring and Dog Training - First Aid Added in. Give you that Leave no Dog Behind Vibe - I have met a couple would Not Take there Dogs But didn't like Leaving them behind Either. Got me thinking

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

I think that’s a good idea. Would that be a side hustle or a full time gig? Any ideas what your format would look like? How much would you charge?

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Did the a long road trip first time with my 6 months chocolate lab... It is the long hair one, I was told by the breeder that is a bad thing, it will not be accepted to shows - like I care. My wife just liked it so we took it.. :)

By long trip I mean first day I drove 16 hours and second day 12 hours.
Most of the time it was painless, something like this .
View attachment 229623

As a first time owner I got lucky, he seems to be pretty lazy, if there is nothing special to do he seems content to just sleep or lie around. I remember it took about 4 days to hear him bark for the first time after I got him( he was about 3 months old ) . I was starting to get worried the breeder gave me a mute dog...
Found out a few things during this trip. This so called pet friendly hotels charge you extra for the dog :) . If you come drunk with some buddies and vomit all over, it is no issue...

We took him everywhere with us, he behaved very well in general. A couple of issues.If he sees any kind of water, from a small puddle to a dripping faucet up to a lake or river, he will go straight for it.
If there is no one around , an empty field or park for example, very good recall -never goes too far anyway. Where there are other people or other risks, recall does not work at all :) . But he is still a puppy and we work on it.
Otherwise seems he is good to go on camping trips.
Reminds me of our Choco chunks Shayna, Damn I miss that dog! Yours almost looks like a Chesapeake! Does the lab have yellow eyes...? If the dog is bigger then most Labs it could be a Chessy..

Rav4_Overland

Rank VIII

Steward I

Kyle, Texas, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

I either bring my 4 year old son, Levi or my 1.5 year old dog, Bear. Never both. I did once a year ago, we went to the beach and it was a bit much. I will attempt it again this summer now that they are a year older. Bear is a Mastador and doesn't know how big he is and Levi gets annoyed by him pretty easily.

• Haha

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Reminds me of our Choco chunks Shayna, Damn I miss that dog! Yours almost looks like a Chesapeake! Does the lab have yellow eyes...? If the dog is bigger then most Labs it could be a Chessy..
Got it from a farm across the border from me, In Belgium, about 60 km. I saw the parents, both chocolate labs. The guy told me that in each litter from this pair, about 25 % come with long hair. I did some reading, many labs still have a recessive gene for long hair, and if both parents have it , there is a a 25 % chance that it becomes dominant. When he will be a full adult, most likely it will resemble a golden retriever, but with this special color ...
Of course, being a long coat will require more cleaning and brushing....

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

With that color and eyes sure looks like a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, just saying, their great dogs too. They were breed for protecting your gear and retrieving waterfowl . I grew up there next to the bay and marches and few of the adults had them , I love them. And like I said we had Shayna and she was a big Choc Lab, very much like a Chessy. I did notice that his fur is not long all over, still looks cool and very stoic in that shot of him, Good looking dog!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
With that color and eyes sure looks like a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, just saying, their great dogs too. They were breed for protecting your gear and retrieving waterfowl . I grew up there next to the bay and marches and few of the adults had them , I love them. And like I said we had Shayna and she was a big Choc Lab, very much like a Chessy. I did notice that his fur is not long all over, still looks cool and very stoic in that shot of him, Good looking dog!
We had a rescue, literally rescued from a gas station, Chesapeake Bay Retriever as a kid. Nice dog but this particular copy was nuttier than a bag of walnuts ;)

• Haha

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

He is till changing the fur . Around the head he still has the pup fur . On the back is longer and curly, will try get another shot. Whatever he is, all family loves him

• Love

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

With Labs a pair chocolate can throw all black and yellow no chocolate, or even all Black, Chocolate are special and was my first Lab. But don't let some people seem to think only Black for hunting , that is not true as I know a few Field Champs that are all colors.
All round Labs are a great family dog, and can get along with cats too. Our Huskies ,cats were a furies chew toy

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Me, I love dogs.
If you trust your dog for sure bring him.
I'd likely be the guy encouraging him to visit.

I was in London England years ago. a guy walking thru Parsons Green Park came by with a Golden Lab, the dog stopped by, I ruffled his neck, we said Hi..... The guy said yer Canadian.... I said yes, from Yellowknife..... this is how small our world is and what a dog can do.... He said I was a miner there 30 years ago..... and we had a few beers as one can do in London Parks... legally.

Your does not really need to be obedient, as long as he is friendly.
But understand to respect the few who are terrified of off leash dogs.

Dogs are fabulous. I doubt that those terrified are overlanders but be ready, be respectful of the fear, keep the dog chained or move on.

My latest dog, a rescue from reserve north of Winterpeg, loves to run wild. Great on a leash but unleash him and he is gone. Come is not a word in his vocabulary. We go to the beach, he would be out of sight for a hour, I'd spot him on the horizon. Never a problem he would skirt a wide berth around anyone at the shore. When their dogs came out for the meet and greet he'd do the sniff bark charge and in a minute it was over and he'd continue his tour.

I heard dogs have a 2 year memory and I'll say yes as we head into the third year. He has mellowed incredibly. If he is out of sight he is still close. And his runs are less than 30 minutes.

I doubt I'll ever take hm camping. Finding that open off leash area is just too challenging with a dog who ignores "come".

Here he is once HE decides the run is over..... I want to know what goes thru his mind once he decides to come home. It is an all out run every day.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9Mike2 and leeloo

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Sampson is the first dog I've had who lives for the ride. He will be just like this for 6 hours from Nakusp to Calgary..... and sleep like a log once we arrive. He LOVES the drive.

I love having him on board.

• Love
Reactions: 9Mike2 and leeloo