Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I was just wondering is there a reason you don't take your dog's Overlanding or Camping with you?

Reactions: Kent R

Fireskyte

Rank V

Advocate II

San Leandro, CA, USA
First Name
Rochelle
Last Name
Czajka
Member #

I love bringing mine with me! She goes just about everywhere with me.. as a matter of fact I will be working with a shop that outfits K-9 units so I can keep the rig cool when I need to leave her in it.

Reactions: XC70_OVERLANDER

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Yes there is a reason, actually multiple reasons. That does not mean they never go, just not always.
There any thing in Particular would get you to take them more often? 15 Years ago I used to Train and show dog's I was good at it and i enjoyed it. Got me thinking about doing something with dog's and Overlanding

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Only reason I domt take one of my dogs is beacuse he is aggressive towards other animals (Akita rescue). We are still working on it and he is getting a lot better but not quite there yet. Once I get him where he needs to be both of the dogs will always tag along
How old is He? Fixed Yes - No??

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Only reason I domt take one of my dogs is beacuse he is aggressive towards other animals (Akita rescue). We are still working on it and he is getting a lot better but not quite there yet. Once I get him where he needs to be both of the dogs will always tag along
How old is He? Fixed Yes - No??
He is almost 3, and he is fixed. it took him a little over a week to cohabitate with my other dog (10yr old german shepherd). they are great now, and he doesnt immediately run after any animal he sees. so he is getting much better.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

He is almost 3, and he is fixed. it took him a little over a week to cohabitate with my other dog (10yr old german shepherd). they are great now, and he doesnt immediately run after any animal he sees. so he is getting much better.
Occasionally They Mature out of the aggression. Hard to say with out seeing how he acts.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Occasionally They Mature out of the aggression. Hard to say with out seeing how he acts.
For the first year of his life he was drugged and beat by his owner. The guy who rescued him did an amazing job with him for a year and a half but needed to rehome him due to life circumstances (I'm just fostering him for now). The why is definitely known and the progress he has made in a short period is awesome. he has been getting a lot of exposure, and we are slowly working in socialization.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
There any thing in Particular would get you to take them more often? 15 Years ago I used to Train and show dog's I was good at it and i enjoyed it. Got me thinking about doing something with dog's and Overlanding
It comes down to available space and other family members being the primary companions of the dogs. On short trips without my family I will take my wife's dog if my wife consents; our son relies on his dog to help him with anxiety, etc., so I choose to leave him with our son. If the family is along for the ride there is not enough room for the dogs. Some day I hope to have a dog that is primarily my companion but that is not the case right now.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

For the first year of his life he was drugged and beat by his owner. The guy who rescued him did an amazing job with him for a year and a half but needed to rehome him due to life circumstances (I'm just fostering him for now). The why is definitely known and the progress he has made in a short period is awesome. he has been getting a lot of exposure, and we are slowly working in socialization.
Hope to meet him some time..

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

It comes down to available space and other family members being the primary companions of the dogs. On short trips without my family I will take my wife's dog if my wife consents; our son relies on his dog to help him with anxiety, etc., so I choose to leave him with our son. If the family is along for the ride there is not enough room for the dogs. Some day I hope to have a dog that is primarily my companion but that is not the case right now.
So not a Issue of Training just a space issue. Maybe a Smaller Dog. :grinning:

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Yep, we bring our dog 95% of the time we go on trips. She is a rather rambunctious 4 year old Blue heeler. She has good recall but not perfect, mostly when there are other dogs in the mix.. For some reason she does amazingly well on road trips and camping adventures. I almost feel like she knows that she has to be good or she will not be invited back, as crazy as that sounds.

We took her on a 30 day road trip last summer. 5 national parks. We were able to board her for the day or overnight on 3 of the 5, 1 allowed dogs (great Sand Dunes) and the 5th Glacier we were staying at a place that had a RV.

She did so well last summer that we plan on taking her on the road with us this summer for 2 weeks. The first week is staying with family and a few little camping adventures. The second week will be a 6 day canoe trip in the Boundary Waters in MN.

Reactions: Sylvester

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

You getting a Self Unlocking
I love bringing mine with me! She goes just about everywhere with me.. as a matter of fact I will be working with a shop that outfits K-9 units so I can keep the rig cool when I need to leave her in it.
You getting a self unlocking door? K9 Units have them just in Case

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I think dog's
Yep, we bring our dog 95% of the time we go on trips. She is a rather rambunctious 4 year old Blue heeler. She has good recall but not perfect, mostly when there are other dogs in the mix.. For some reason she does amazingly well on road trips and camping adventures. I almost feel like she knows that she has to be good or she will not be invited back, as crazy as that sounds.

We took her on a 30 day road trip last summer. 5 national parks. We were able to board her for the day or overnight on 3 of the 5, 1 allowed dogs (great Sand Dunes) and the 5th Glacier we were staying at a place that had a RV.

She did so well last summer that we plan on taking her on the road with us this summer for 2 weeks. The first week is staying with family and a few little camping adventures. The second week will be a 6 day canoe trip in the Boundary Waters in MN.
I find dogs have a certain intuition about things, A Fifth sense I guess! I once had a Black Mini schnauzer Jinx, Terrible dog Barked non stop Take him to a dog Show 100% different dog almost Perfect. Did You can take them into National Parks all National Parks your just Limited on some of the Trails and Building's

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I think dog's

I find dogs have a certain intuition about things, A Fifth sense I guess! I once had a Black Mini schnauzer Jinx, Terrible dog Barked non stop Take him to a dog Show 100% different dog almost Perfect. Did You can take them into National Parks all National Parks your just Limited on some of the Trails and Building's
The only National park she came to with us was Great Sand Dunes, because they are allowed. It was a pain though because the sand was so hot the dog needed to stay near the creek while the others were sand boarding. No biggie though, it was still fun. Arches we boarded her for the day, Yellowstone and Tetons we boarded her overnight because we took 2 days. Wasn't ideal because we had to do a loop and come back to Driggs, ID to get her but it was OK because we were staying with friends and wanted to spend 1 more night with them. When we went to Glacier we were staying at a friends property and they had a RV out there with an A/C she stayed in.
In the grand scheme of things the boarding was not cost prohibitive, It is only like $30/day $50-70 for an overnight. You might have to go a little out of your way to get them there, but it is worth having the pup with you.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

We try to take Sadie with us all the time, but there is times we can't. As for the Boots, I hunt the So Cal desert , and we started using boots on the Dogs as not only the heat can destroy pads of their feet, the cactus everywhere. As one of Hunting Dog handler said, if you wouldn't walk on it bare footed don't make your Dog do it.