Does Overlanding Require You to Go Off Pavement?

• HTML tutorial

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
because someone needs to drive the vehicle...
ha! yeah, i just thought that would be taken as a given by everyone...

that was a statement intended to be funny while at the same time reflecting on how we fuss over definitions and equipment but rarely consider the company we keep. i have a lot of friends and family that travel, camp, fish, etc and they are always worried about better gear and equipment and then are also always complaining about the people in their group. for example, brother-in-law has a fishing camp and a group that goes. there is ALWAYS drama about who did or said something. i think it is ironic how they spend so much time and effort worrying about having the right equipment and constantly updating the boat and stuff so they can have a good time, and then the times are ruined by people acting a fool. i think its people that can make or break a trip more so than equipment.

nothing to do directly with the OP's post...but as i read the other replies, that thought came into mind

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Don't give it any funny ideas, we'll have unmanned self-driving electric cars clogging up the trails as well as the roads! xD

Reactions: grubworm and Anak

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Don't give it any funny ideas, we'll have unmanned self-driving electric cars clogging up the trails as well as the roads! xD
No kidding!

Google will send its autonomous camera rigs out and create street view maps of everything. Then the hordes will really invade.

At that point manned submersibles will have to be the next thing. "Underwatering" will be the new trend and we will argue about who built their own Nautilus vs who bought theirs.

The government used to auction off Jeeps. I wonder what it would take to get a nuclear sub?

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Anak Hush, we don't want to give our new escape any public attention! :P

Why not do a bit of private research and see? They have to do something with the old submarines, ya know! That would make a gnarly tiny home, thinking about it.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
They have to do something with the old submarines, ya know! That would make a gnarly tiny home, thinking about it.
i was on the uss shark the last 3 years of its life before decommissioning it in velejo, ca. in 1989. i dont know what finally happened to it, but it was a cool sub and would make a great airbnb or an awesome dockside bar somewhere.
out at sea we only had freeze dried or canned food and the water distillation unit was always breaking, so we'd be a week between showers sometimes. submarining was a lot like overlanding in some ways...

1678967365384.png

Reactions: DintDobbs