Does Overlanding Require You to Go Off Pavement?

• HTML tutorial

The Durangler

Rank VI

Member I

Port Alberni
First Name
David
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Service Branch
Search & Rescue (R)
I spent many years “Overlanding” in a 2006 Dodge Caravan. I installed a Tepui roof top tent. I put a set of ko2’s on it. It was the “Overland Minivan”. It went many places I never expected it to. My family and I had many adventures, both on road and off. People in the “Overland” community laughed at us. They said we should have a 4wd. Sadly, last year it died. We now have a 4 wheel drive that is significantly more capable. The other day my 13 year old son, who loved all things “Overland”, said to me, “Dad…I sure miss the minivan. It was the best.” He was right. We did not let haves or have nots prevent us from adventure. We did not let the opinions of others deter us from getting after it. It was simple. It was about the love of adventure. I think that many get lost in tires this and air compressor that….

Adventure is what you make it.
A-effin-men! I wish I would have seen you out on the trail with the minivan when I was in one of my solid axle, locked rigs... the only laughing would have been me laughing at myself for being in such an over-prepared rig as you cruised through with the van!

-TJ
Lol. Don’t get me wrong I wanted a super rig but I had kids and owned a minivan. I just made it work and we had fun.

• Love
Reactions: tjZ06

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Hi Dilldog
Overlanding is always on roads, but the road’s may turn to dirt and in some cases just disappear be at from storm damage or just ending.

Any vehicle can be used and the most inappropriate vehicles can turn into big adventure, Top Deck Travel used to drive Overland trips from London to Kathmandu in old UK double deckers on roads that today most people would only take a Jeep Rubicon!
We kept running into a Dragoman Overland tour in Peru. A quick glance at their fleet and one will see they just use a school bus for their North/Central American tours.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Actually if we all admit it. Overlanding is nothing but a new name for camping and 4wheeling but more expensive...
At Expo East 2019 we ruffled quite a few feathers when we were answering a question during a panel discussion. I guess we said the quiet part out loud. The question was multifaceted but it came down to the difficulty and expertise required to drive the Americas. Our answer was "all we did was drive roads, some were great and some were horrible but we weren't felling trees and building bridges. If you can drive a vehicle you can drive around the world, just like all the locals do."

Thomas Hastings

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Duncan, Spartanburg County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Hastings
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Actually if we all admit it. Overlanding is nothing but a new name for camping and 4wheeling but more expensive...
At Expo East 2019 we ruffled quite a few feathers when we were answering a question during a panel discussion. I guess we said the quiet part out loud. The question was multifaceted but it came down to the difficulty and expertise required to drive the Americas. Our answer was "all we did was drive roads, some were great and some were horrible but we weren't felling trees and building bridges. If you can drive a vehicle you can drive around the world, just like all the locals do."
Man if that isn’t the truth. People have been traversing these roads with far less capable transportation long before us. But I like the part, “just like all the locals do.”

Maintained FS roads can be driven by nearly anything. Get you a case of bottled water, couple cans of spaghettios, pull into that designated camping spot and just like that, you’re an “Overlander” in your Prius for about $10, depending on how many cans of spaghettios you buy.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Overlanding is nothing but a new name for camping and 4wheeling
Actually, we had 4wheeling and sometimes you went camping in your 4wheeler. Essentially, yes.

I hope everyone realizes, if this thread was in a diffrent forum, all the trolls would have screamed that "Its already been covered, multiple times". To me its fun reading diffrent perspectives.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@SoCoRuss Pretty much that's where this thread was going! Overlanding isn't car camping, overlanding is car "glamping".

But the ultimate answer to the OP is still no, according to the definition given on the forum.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Wh
@SoCoRuss Pretty much that's where this thread was going! Overlanding isn't car camping, overlanding is car "glamping".

But the ultimate answer to the OP is still no, according to the definition given on the forum.
What definition on the forum clearly states no?
The forum is designed to be inclusive to all by leaving definitions loose and painting a broad pictire. Its up to everyone else to come up with their own opinions.
Suchbis life. Nobody will agree on everything. Screenshot_20230311-100221_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: K12

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Red_Leaf_Overland That picture in your post is the part that says no, my guy.

Thread title: Does Overlanding Require You to Go Off Pavement?

(Refer to your pic of the forum's definition of Overlanding)

No, overlanding does not require you to go off pavement.

No joke. I don't know how to explain it better, my guy. The pic in your post right there says no.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

@Red_Leaf_Overland That picture in your post is the part that says no, my guy.

Thread title: Does Overlanding Require You to Go Off Pavement?

(Refer to your pic of the forum's definition of Overlanding)

No, overlanding does not require you to go off pavement.

No joke. I don't know how to explain it better, my guy. The pic in your post right there says no.
Your right I was reading what you wrote wrong lol... so much back and forth on here... I'm tapping out.

Reactions: DintDobbs

rich5665

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Jamesburg, NJ, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Webb
Member #

One must travel the paved road to travel the gravel road. So yes in my opinion, traveling over pavement would be considered over landing. I always thought the point was to throw your gear in your truck, SUV or all wheel drive,get away with friends and have a good time doing it.

Thomas Hastings

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Duncan, Spartanburg County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Hastings
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Isn’t everyone and everything technically over land unless you’re at sea but there’s land at the bottom of the sea so even when you’re boating or swimming your over landing. But there would not be anything if there wasn’t a planet in the first place so maybe the correct term is over planeting. Overplanet Bound!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Isn’t everyone and everything technically over land unless you’re at sea but there’s land at the bottom of the sea so even when you’re boating or swimming your over landing. But there would not be anything if there wasn’t a planet in the first place so maybe the correct term is over planeting. Overplanet Bound!
well, that did it for me! :grinning:

shizzle.gif

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Being a part of this community, filled with thousands of amazing builds, it's very easy to forget that almost everyone around the world are doing amazing adventures with stock rigs. Here, and places like this, we're just in a niche that showcases the modified. As a percentage of what's on the road globally, it's almost completely insignificant. Out of the major vehicle manufacturers here in the US, I can think of maybe 6 truly offroad-capable models amongst the dozens they offer.

It really can be as simple as having a vehicle, traveling with it, and sleeping in/around it.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i see where overlanding is vehicle dependent travel...but i dont see anywhere where it is people dependent travel...

just sayin'...:grinning: