Do you really need heated seats and remote start?

• Thread starter Deleted member 43520
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Love my heated seats on cold mornings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back when I bought my truck, it came with the trim package. As [B]bgenlvtex[/B] said, heated seats are very nice. How nice, VERY!, I would never have optioned them on my own, But after a long trip, a day bending, or any stressful extended work day, they are nice to have going home after a workday. The first few times I used this feature I was amazed how much better I felt on arriving home. Truly did not realize what I was missing. So yes, I definitely recommend them.

On the subject of heated steering wheels, they were just coming into
vogue, and were not common. So I can not comment. On remote starts, I would say that it is a climate call, as Winter plays a big role. I would have to defer to those with a remote start, and having a diesel (glow-plug) and how much battery stress is involved (cold cranking) to get your engine started.

I would say that if I lived in Sicily, a remote start would be a good idea....:sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile: . Ha-Ha.

Larry the cable guy says thats funny right there.:grinning:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ubiety

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Sorry boys, and it may be the coupla beers in my belly as I'm planning vehicle mods and yet another year's extended adventures, but I do not understand the want/need/desire for such frills as heated seats, remote starts, or, really, heated steering wheels? Or to consider get-it-now because of future sales, though you may only use it yourself a couple of times?

Good Lord. That isn't 'overlanding' or adventuring, it's trying to recreate the comforts of home and/or worrying about potential future profits.

Not meant condescendingly at all, but y'all need to spend more real time outdoors and adventuring to know those things are small stuff in the bigger picture of things.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm getting ready to order a new JLU Rubicon and I don't think I'm going to max it out. Some of what I'm leaving off are the heated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, and remote start. I don't have them in my current rig and don't think I'd use them very much if at all. Does anyone have any arguments as to why I would want/need these features or am I good to save the money? Thanks!
resale

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I'm getting ready to order a new JLU Rubicon and I don't think I'm going to max it out. Some of what I'm leaving off are the heated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, and remote start. I don't have them in my current rig and don't think I'd use them very much if at all. Does anyone have any arguments as to why I would want/need these features or am I good to save the money? Thanks!
All of them are a very nice luxury. Remote start is awesome during the summer and the heated seats/steering wheel is nice in the cold morning. I personally love the ventilates seats much more.

I absolutely love the adaptive cruise control. On long road trips it is a super nice feature to have. Now that I experienced I wouldn’t want to go back.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
In the end, it's like always with equipment. You listen to many opinions and experiences and then you have to decide for yourself what you think is right for your purpose.

But I would like to bring another aspect into the discussion. I have a heated seat in the car. For me, it is not only comfortable and pleasant, but for me it is also a safety aspect. Safety aspect? Yes, I don't sit in the rig with a thick jacket or vest. Because that can cause the seat belt to not fit properly and tightly enough. By the way, this is also taught here in driver training courses! I think that's an important point!

Reactions: Road and Ubiety

Sclary3

Rank VI

Advocate II

Hahnville, St. Charles Parish, Louisiana, United States
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Clary
Member #

Service Branch
Sheriffs Deputy
I wonder if I coule find some in a junk yard and wire them up
Prolly. I think they come in a couple flavors - fan/blower in the seat and ducted from the car's AC - I think ;)
Ima look it up on the computer when I get to work, I have a 86 Isuzu... If its possible ima atempt it if I can find the seats

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Sorry boys, and it may be the coupla beers in my belly as I'm planning vehicle mods and yet another year's extended adventures, but I do not understand the want/need/desire for such frills as heated seats, remote starts, or, really, heated steering wheels? Or to consider get-it-now because of future sales, though you may only use it yourself a couple of times?

Good Lord. That isn't 'overlanding' or adventuring, it's trying to recreate the comforts of home and/or worrying about potential future profits.

Not meant condescendingly at all, but y'all need to spend more real time outdoors and adventuring to know those things are small stuff in the bigger picture of things.

I worked outdoors for decades, rain snow,blistering heat made no difference my job had me outside.

"Overlanding" is a hobby, not some glorious voyage into the unknown carrying everything I own on my back, it's a hobby. It's a hobby filled with conveniences and unnecessary items. I do not feel compelled in even the slightest way to walk past a convenience or a comfort because that doesn't comport with someone else notion of what "overlanding" is.

Because of that first line up there two things are carried forward, some omnipresent physical reminders which are somewhat mitigated by comforts others may not understand, and the financial means to buy whatever I want but particularly comfort items.

These "do I NEED" some such threads all turn out the same, every last one of them, sooner or later somebody comes out with some thinly veiled bullshit suggesting that if you don't do it their way, you're a little light in the loafers. The ONLY answer, ever unless the question is "do I need water and air" is "no"

I got out, I get out, and I don't have to project my sturdy outdoors facade by embracing antiquated, obsolete vehicle technology or enduring even one moment of discomfort that I don't invite.

Now I have to go fashion a pair of socks out out of a desiccated porcupine husk and walk to work.
Uphill
Both ways

Ghost of Albert Johnson sneers in the general direction of your brand of "overlanding" and thinks to himself (not condescendingly) "y'all need to spend more real time outdoors and adventuring "

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
No. The fewer options the better. Give me heat, A/C, and power steering. The rest of it is useless fluff that is just another point of failure.

Reactions: Road and Sparksalot

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I had a nice luxury two-door coupe once, though of a vintage too early for heated seats. Drove it all over the country east of the Mississippi through New England blizzards and southern humid summers and all.

I bought some real sheepskin covers--thick son-of-a-bitches-- for both front seats and never worried about cold or hot "pleather" again. I'm seriously thinking of looking up the same guy, a sheep farmer in Maine, who made my first set decades ago and getting some for Vannery O'Connor. Reminded me of working on farms every time they got wet if I left my sunroof open and it rained; quite a pleasant smell really, full of lanolin and wool; not offensive at all.
Good point - I had sheepskins in Europe, once again before heated seats existed. They were great as you say, at least for temperatures down to zero C or so.

Reactions: Road and Ubiety

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I grew up in an era before AC. If you have to be that comfortable, just stay home. :blush:

It is no longer an adventure if you bring your whole world along with you.

Reactions: UgotWheelz and Road

RMCM

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Esquibel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5FMF
Service Branch
USMC/USN
Need, no. Like, yes. But if they weren’t part of the vehicle I wanted, I would not not order them separately.

Reactions: Road

J-P

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Jp
Last Name
Jerome
Member #

Hi! It all depends on 2 things,
1. will it be your daily
2. do you have an actual winter where you live

I'm from Montreal so yes remote starter a must with -30C and diesel truck
the seats heat up a bit so I dont have to sit on an iceberg for 20 minutes:tearsofjoy:

cruze control is not necessary but sometimes useful on the highway for long rides, saves on tickets lol
I wish I had a heated steering wheel but more of a luxury than necessity
good luck with your purchase

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Heated mirrors are nice. But the things you mentioned are useless to me. And when they fail, they devalue the vehicle more than if they were never even there.

I start my truck in the winter and have to brush snow off and load up, so remote start isn't too handy either.

Avoid the LED headlights.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm never going to buy anything newer than a TJ.

You realize the new 4 cylinder JL has a 48 volt lithium ion battery under the drivers seat AND to work it has a coolant loop to keep it warm, plus an air conditioning loop to keep it cool. Se you just ran coolant and AC lines under the chassis to keep the stop/start battery operational. So yer on the Rubicon and the engine shuts off. PRAY you don't damage the coolant, AC or extra battery cables under the chassis.

I just convinced myself, I want a Willys

55 willis pu 03.jpeg