Do the early Tacomas deserve their reputation?

• HTML tutorial

Arkansas_SR5

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Cave Springs, AR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Last
I’ve got a 96 that is currently in need of its third 3.4 V6 at “only” 250,000 miles after originally being replaced in early 2020. The driveshaft also recently gave out, along with the dripping steering rack and mysteriously disappearing brake fluid.

I also had a 98 with the 2.7 that had a cracked exhaust manifold which luckily in my case didn’t lead to a burnt valve. But I did eventually find a hole in the frame - it looked clean, but at the time I was unaware of their propensity to rot from the inside out even in relatively mild conditions.

Yes, I know these are typical things that come up on older cars, but they still seem at odds with their “bulletproof” reputation. I talk to people about whether it’s worth it to throw another 5VZ in my truck, and they tell me “those are always worth fixing.” I’m left wondering why they’re any more “worth it” than any other old truck, however.

I’m beginning to think “old Toyotas run forever” just means that fanboys are so infatuated with them being so reliable that they dunk thousands of dollars into their clapped out jalopies in order to make them reliable, regularly replacing the engines and everything around them when they shit the bed. And with Toyota, everything counts as maintenance, up to basically rebuilding the whole vehicle.

Marketplace is chock full of Toyota V6s, and the forums are full of accounts of burnt valves, cracked heads, and of course the infamous tension loaded ball joints that literally cause the wheels to fall off when they fail (see: Toyota LBJ Failure Support Group on Facebook).

And this particular generation of IFS is piss weak when tested on truly technical trails - put on tires bigger than 33s, especially when used with a front locker, and they will snap CVs and third members like candy. See post 26 and onward on this thread: Is a Land Cruiser really better off-road than a Tacoma? My experience says the opposite...

Before all the Toyota cultists come after me, I’ve had good experiences with some Toyotas, like a 1996 Camry wagon and 97 Land Cruiser, along with a 13 Avalon. But for me, the quality and reliability wasn’t there with the early Tacomas. At least they’re not any less crappy than any other truck of that vintage; in fact, most OEMs made a pretty decent drivetrain in the 90s, even Dodge. In fact, there’s plenty of Big 3 domestic trucks from the 2000s and earlier still putting in work in fairly brutal conditions on American farms, racking up the miles without all the fanfare of Toyota.

I guess I’m just curious where all the hype comes from. Maybe it’s the sleek good looks, or the reputation Toyota built by offering a higher-quality product in the 1980s, which was a low bar set by GM and the other domestics at the time.

Anyway, go ahead and flame and downvote if you want. I’m just a bit frustrated from having wasted so much money after buying into all the internet hype instead of digging deeper into what all can go wrong on these trucks. Oh well, I have no one to blame but myself. Regardless, I think I’ve owned my last Tacoma.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
sounds like you pretty much have it figured out....

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Regardless of internet hype, that thing was worn out 100k ago. You also cant mod a vehicle then say it doesn't hold up to...... I've spent decades in the industry and just as long modifying/racing vehicles. I don't look at the "IFS" or "solid axle". I look at axle spline and diff size then say "it will hold up to these gears and these tires" "or not". I also know the strengths and weakness of most of the vehicles we love to mod. I don't care who made the engine, the seals are pretty much the same. That means they all start leaking about the same time. No magic with power steering pumps (sorry ford) same with gear box's and steering racks. Again, I look at the size of the part and determine what it can do. There's a video of a new Tacoma with 37's snapping his steering in the rocks. The remarks are "I thought they were strong" Uhhh..... Look at the size of the steering. Not designed for that. If you want to hard wheel that truck, lift and tires wont cut it. Stronger steering, bigger diffs and axles to start.

My cruiser engine, cylinders were coated with niklasil. 200k rebuild and not only was there no taper but the cross hatch was still there. Block wise, there's little out there to compare strength wise. But, not designed for commuting even though people do.
Toyota trucks for their class have always gone overkill with their trans and brakes. That doesn't mean they are any better offroad. I have close to 30k in a 96 Cruiser. 230k miles what's not new is heavily modded. I'm also running 33" tires. My expectations are met but I wont leave it stock and drive it the way I do. If I want to go to 37's, i need stronger parts and more mods. People ask my opinions and then say "I'm not racing it in Baja". No your not, if you were, your about $100k short on the build.

I could find fault with every manufacture out there but when a Toyota doesn't last 1m miles, people are disappointed. I wont go on a rant comparing Jeep or Ford or GM.

Bottom line is, newer generation vehicles are better. I commonly discourage people from buying older unless they know exactly what their doing.

Reactions: rgallant

Arkansas_SR5

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Cave Springs, AR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Last
Regardless of internet hype, that thing was worn out 100k ago. You also cant mod a vehicle then say it doesn't hold up to...... I've spent decades in the industry and just as long modifying/racing vehicles. I don't look at the "IFS" or "solid axle". I look at axle spline and diff size then say "it will hold up to these gears and these tires" "or not". I also know the strengths and weakness of most of the vehicles we love to mod. I don't care who made the engine, the seals are pretty much the same. That means they all start leaking about the same time. No magic with power steering pumps (sorry ford) same with gear box's and steering racks. Again, I look at the size of the part and determine what it can do. There's a video of a new Tacoma with 37's snapping his steering in the rocks. The remarks are "I thought they were strong" Uhhh..... Look at the size of the steering. Not designed for that. If you want to hard wheel that truck, lift and tires wont cut it. Stronger steering, bigger diffs and axles to start.

My cruiser engine, cylinders were coated with niklasil. 200k rebuild and not only was there no taper but the cross hatch was still there. Block wise, there's little out there to compare strength wise. But, not designed for commuting even though people do.
Toyota trucks for their class have always gone overkill with their trans and brakes. That doesn't mean they are any better offroad. I have close to 30k in a 96 Cruiser. 230k miles what's not new is heavily modded. I'm also running 33" tires. My expectations are met but I wont leave it stock and drive it the way I do. If I want to go to 37's, i need stronger parts and more mods. People ask my opinions and then say "I'm not racing it in Baja". No your not, if you were, your about $100k short on the build.

I could find fault with every manufacture out there but when a Toyota doesn't last 1m miles, people are disappointed. I wont go on a rant comparing Jeep or Ford or GM.

Bottom line is, newer generation vehicles are better. I commonly discourage people from buying older unless they know exactly what their doing.
Newer is better to a point, maybe. Look at the disastrous engine failures with the new 3.4 V6 TTs in the newer GXs. And all the emissions failures on the newer diesels.