Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I ordered a snowpeak and didnt realize it was 50$ for 1 cup of coffee. good grief what a tiny container. i mean, i have a cup of coffee before i have a cup of coffee. the thing wont even fit on my stove...

just use the regular percolator but boy am i excited by some of you folks setups. about to throw my Kurick away and use one of these at home...
My percolator took FOREVER to brew coffee.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
My percolator took FOREVER to brew coffee.
This is why I use the Stanley french press. It takes a bit to get your recipe right, but you just boil water, pour over the grounds in the press, let it steep for a minute or two, then press the filter down in to trap the grounds in the bottom. It'll make a couple cups, usually enough to get me up and going and keep it warm. I usually drink from a stainless, single layer cup so I can pour the hot from the press into what's in the cup to warm it back up and sip on while I'm piddling around camp or fixing breakfast.

Reactions: theMightyGoose

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

This is why I use the Stanley french press. It takes a bit to get your recipe right, but you just boil water, pour over the grounds in the press, let it steep for a minute or two, then press the filter down in to trap the grounds in the bottom. It'll make a couple cups, usually enough to get me up and going and keep it warm. I usually drink from a stainless, single layer cup so I can pour the hot from the press into what's in the cup to warm it back up and sip on while I'm piddling around camp or fixing breakfast.
Yeah. But I don’t like press coffee. I use the GSI pour over.

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

I have a Areopress but it only makes one small cup of coffee. I have to brew twice to get a regular sized cup.

Once I have my house batteries and a inverter, I’m bringing my nespresso machine.
I put a second battery and solar panel in just so I can bring an espresso machine with me. Nothing like a cappuccino in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: HeliSniper

crjdirt

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've roasted coffee @ home for my last couple camp trips. I don't have to make coffee in the mornings, just open and pour. Sounds silly but it's been great. My giant Stanley Thermos will last me 2-3 mornings.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I've roasted coffee @ home for my last couple camp trips. I don't have to make coffee in the mornings, just open and pour. Sounds silly but it's been great. My giant Stanley Thermos will last me 2-3 mornings.
Your stanley keeps it hot for 2 -3 mornings :flushed:

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Folgers single use bags for me. They're just like tea bags, only coffee. Taste great and easy to pack and dispose of. I started using them for camping and liked them so much they are all I use at home now too.

Reactions: TerryD

Reid Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rogue River, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7BHH
I usually have 2 or 3 ways to make coffee depending on the situation. My preferred method is heating Water with Jetboil then using silicone collapsible pour over filter holder with conical filter. This way is really quick and can make enough coffee to roughly fill two 27 oz. mugs (wife needs hers too). The Jetboil also has a French press option which I use occasionally but adds time and cleanup.

Reactions: TerryD

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Not exactly portable, but we got this system for our daughter for Christmas. She's spent the last three years in Seattle at college, and has become a coffeeholic. She and her roommate even made an ABC Coffee list, trying a coffee shop beginning with every letter of the alphabet. Got them all before graduating on Wednesday except X, and she's stopping at Cafe X in San Francisco on the way home to complete the list.

Anyway, one of her favorite shops in Seattle's Queen Anne district where her college is, is a place called Storyville. Deb got on their newsletter, as we've given our daughter gift cards from there previous Christmases. So, when Storyville decided to liquidate their way expensive coffee system for 1/3 of the original price, we decided it would make a perfect Christmas gift for her upon returning to Ohio and starting her "adult life."

I don't even drink coffee, and think this thing is awesome!!

freedomi_productImage.jpg

prod-freedomone.png

freedom2.png

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I use an Ikea french press when I'm out adventuring. I can't deal with crappy instant coffee, so I deal with the mess of cleaning the french press, which really isn't too terribly bad. Plus the bonus that it can be used for other things when not being used as a coffee press.

I did see a folding silicon pour-over coffee maker at a nearby dollar store a few months ago. All the posts on here touting the pour-over method are making me think perhaps I should have bought it. Maybe I'll get one if they carry them again in the spring. I think it was like $2.50, so even if it sucks, not much of a loss. Maybe use it when backpacking and use the french press for vehicle based adventures.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Stickbow

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Georgia, USA
Member #

I use an Ikea french press when I'm out adventuring. I can't deal with crappy instant coffee, so I deal with the mess of cleaning the french press, which really isn't too terribly bad. Plus the bonus that it can be used for other things when not being used as a coffee press.

I did see a folding silicon pour-over coffee maker at a nearby dollar store a few months ago. All the posts on here touting the pour-over method are making me think perhaps I should have bought it. Maybe I'll get one if they carry them again in the spring. I think it was like $2.50, so even if it sucks, not much of a loss. Maybe use it when backpacking and use the french press for vehicle based adventures.

I'll have to look for one of the silicone pour-over funnel things around here; that sounds like a good solution. There are some on Amazon for less than $10. I've carried my lexan press or skipped coffee when backpacking, but tea just doesn't have enough caffeine. Don't know how people survive on small amounts/no caffeine.

Reid Adventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rogue River, OR, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7BHH
This setup goes with me everywhere. It is the simplest and best way I have found to make great coffee:
1st picture is of my Maxpedition bag that contains my Jetboil and all needed components along with my GSI Silicone Pour Over Filter BasketPhoto Dec 18, 7 32 22 PM.jpg
Next is how I contain my coffee as well as salt and pepper for those rehydrated mealsPhoto Dec 18, 7 33 01 PM.jpg
And then there are the filters for the GSI Silicone Filter BasketPhoto Dec 18, 7 35 05 PM.jpg
And last but not least is all setup and ready to make coffee with my Dutch Brothers HydroFlask. Photo Dec 18, 7 36 15 PM.jpg If I want to use the French Press method with the Jetboil alone I also have the Jetboil plunger, however, that way is much more messy.

After playing around with the recipe you can get very consistent results.

Attachments