Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lexington Ky
First Name
Jeremiah
Last Name
Oschwald
Member #

I've only done a section from Slade to Means, KY, a couple weeks ago (green line follows the route my wife and I took). That stretch we did solo was only about 20 miles, and it was pretty tricky. I got hung up in a mud pit once and three wheeled on another obstacle as well. I had very little beta and went into it pretty blind. I've since installed a winch for self recovery and 3" lift, so you could say it made me want to step my game up a bit.
What app is that picture off of?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

I'd be up for a meet in Kentucky. There are some excellent trails on the DBBB, and I'm interested in doing some of the Kentucky Adventure Tour before too long.

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

I think getting a meetup going/scheduled would probably be the best course of action prior to a trip like DBBB. Having never done any section of the trail before, it would be a good opportunity to discuss planning a trip or deciding on a particular section of the trail. It would also help us find out what our truck's limitations are based on the input of those like Beard House and WindyBadger who have done it. I've got 33's and lift, but no rock sliders.

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

I think getting a meetup going/scheduled would probably be the best course of action prior to a trip like DBBB. Having never done any section of the trail before, it would be a good opportunity to discuss planning a trip or deciding on a particular section of the trail. It would also help us find out what our truck's limitations are based on the input of those like Beard House and WindyBadger who have done it. I've got 33's and lift, but no rock sliders.
The great thing about the DBBB and that general area is that it varies so much - you have sections of the DBBB a stock Subaru Impreza can do no problem, areas nearby you'd only want to do in a rock crawler, and you can find everything in between. If we all meet in one location near Slade we can see what we have, what everyone is comfortable with, and decide there. I'm personally not comfortable leading anyone along anything more than an easy trail (the main DBBB loop). I can take you to some medium trails, and suggest best lines, but I'm not a good spotter!

roamingram44

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bowling green ky
Member #

The great thing about the DBBB and that general area is that it varies so much - you have sections of the DBBB a stock Subaru Impreza can do no problem, areas nearby you'd only want to do in a rock crawler, and you can find everything in between. If we all meet in one location near Slade we can see what we have, what everyone is comfortable with, and decide there. I'm personally not comfortable leading anyone along anything more than an easy trail (the main DBBB loop). I can take you to some medium trails, and suggest best lines, but I'm not a good spotter!
What time frame were you thinking for this its 3 hours for me so not crazy far. As long as I dont have any prior obligations and a full size truck will fit through the trails id probably go

Sent from my LG-LS777 using OB Talk mobile app

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

I've been to the DBBB once, first time out, was a good time, only did a small part of it. I would like to go out again, not interested in anything real difficult just due to lack of experience on trails.

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

What time frame were you thinking for this its 3 hours for me so not crazy far. As long as I dont have any prior obligations and a full size truck will fit through the trails id probably go

Friday November 17th from approximately 7:00 PM at Callie's Campground (5515 Campton Rd, Stanton, KY 40380) until late Sunday November 19th morning (time TBC).

Friday night we can set up camp and chill. Saturday morning we can get up and meet at 9, with the intention to leave for the trails at 10. A night ride for Saturday night is a possibility. I'll be camping on Saturday night, but probably won't personally be riding on Sunday.

Trails can vary, depending on what people are comfortable or capable of. Expect easy trails. We can take most 4WD and AWD vehicles, but don't expect your stock Honda CRV with street tires to make it unscathed! As a side note - a stock Honda CRV with street tires did make it through the most difficult trail on the loop. All terrain tires recommended. Reasonable ground clearance recommended. CB radio recommended.

I'll post something to the rally point/map when I get home.

EDIT: Does anyone have one of those flags? Do I need to get one!?

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Friday November 17th from approximately 7:00 PM at Callie's Campground (5515 Campton Rd, Stanton, KY 40380) until late Sunday November 19th morning (time TBC).

Friday night we can set up camp and chill. Saturday morning we can get up and meet at 9, with the intention to leave for the trails at 10. A night ride for Saturday night is a possibility. I'll be camping on Saturday night, but probably won't personally be riding on Sunday.

Trails can vary, depending on what people are comfortable or capable of. Expect easy trails. We can take most 4WD and AWD vehicles, but don't expect your stock Honda CRV with street tires to make it unscathed! As a side note - a stock Honda CRV with street tires did make it through the most difficult trail on the loop. All terrain tires recommended.

I'll post something to the rally point/map when I get home.
I can probably come out for the trails on Saturday, can drive down from Louisville that morning most likely. I'll be looking for the rally point.

Reactions: Clint1911

ShawneeHills

Rank III

Advocate II

Kentucky
I am all for this, I can camp Friday night and ride on Saturday. I have also done several sections of the DBBB some with WindyBadger, it really can be whatever you want it to be!

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

Will I have any issues as far as width being in a full size truck

I've never traveled with a full sized truck. The only tight spot I can think of is at 5:09 on this video: http://bit.ly/2hasOVX. If you think it's too tight then we can skip that section. We can also check it out. If it's a no-go, then worst that happens is we turn around and come back out.

Camp_Llama

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Lamar
Member #

I'm in, I probably won't be able to camp that Friday night, but would be able to drive down that Saturday morning as I should be finishing up a hunting trip on the 17th.

Reactions: dj_mccomas