Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Merrimack, NH, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Leone
Member #

Most guide services and websites that advertise "runs" or trips use a trail rating system like ski resorts. (Green-Easy, Blue-Moderate, Black-expert, Red-insane!) and then describe the level of vehicle (mods) and potential damage related to each level. This just ensures all that participate in a run/trip/adventure know what they are getting into and are prepared. I've adopted this for anything I do.
1597432086059.png
1597432142886.png

Reactions: 12Seven95

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Most guide services and websites that advertise "runs" or trips use a trail rating system like ski resorts. (Green-Easy, Blue-Moderate, Black-expert, Red-insane!) and then describe the level of vehicle (mods) and potential damage related to each level. This just ensures all that participate in a run/trip/adventure know what they are getting into and are prepared. I've adopted this for anything I do.
View attachment 166875
View attachment 166876
Thank you for that! I was looking for something that worked for all of us.

I believe you leave Overlanding as you enter Blue.. I see a scale of 1 to 10 being 1 as stock anything can do. Once you hit 2, 4x required, then 4 being slightly modified. Your mid-point (to black) is 'experienced only'.. My 10 would be that...

Thank you! I was curious by what rating. Now I know..

tonyl11

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Merrimack, NH, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Leone
Member #

all good. I guess it all depends on what you end up as a vision. i have a full skid package, rock sliders, lift, bumper and winch. blues are a fun technical challenge but keeping the risk of real vehicle damage to a minimum or none. (pin striping, scratches aside). So for me they just keep the trip interesting. we'll do about 70 miles tomorrow from starting point to end and 80% will be o. class 6 roads.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

all good. I guess it all depends on what you end up as a vision. i have a full skid package, rock sliders, lift, bumper and winch. blues are a fun technical challenge but keeping the risk of real vehicle damage to a minimum or none. (pin striping, scratches aside). So for me they just keep the trip interesting. we'll do about 70 miles tomorrow from starting point to end and 80% will be o. class 6 roads.
Cool! Have you done Clapp Road in Strafford yet? That one is an 8 to me. I would do it again with others, but not alone again (in fact I bailed alone). I would guess deep into your Blue, maybe even Black. Been trying to get a rating on that road from someone. Would be a good basis for me.

tonyl11

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Merrimack, NH, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Leone
Member #

Hey Rj, no, I haven't been out that way yet. There is so much off of 89 between exit 5 and 13, so I've been spending all my time around there to build my routes.

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

May a exploratory run n/w of Barrington. It's along a route I'm working to get out to Mount Agamenticus in York, ME. The area has been taken over leaving only a trail (class 6) still available. We did run all the way to Mount Agamenticus and was worth the run! If you haven't been, it will surprise you! Just make it a clear day!

View from Mount Agamenticus

IMG_5033.jpeg

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm working on a Class 6 road map of NH. Wondering if any others may be interesting on assisting. I've mapped out Belknap County and moving to Carroll next. I have the list of Class 6 roads I can provide. Requires a mapping program that can produce .gpx (I'm using Gaia) To be able to share.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Next trek for me, starts Tuesday am. Figuring actual mileage at 55-60 miles starting in New Boston and ending in Charlestown (campground). Unity/Charlestown has quite a few roads out there! Yet I do think they may be more than I wish to do.. Shall see.

Those loops are alternative roads if required...

New Boston to Washington.png

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

Hey Kilo,

All good! I'm trying to do another one in mid-September but we'll see with the schedule.

I've boycotted the VOBS. I understand, there is a lot beyond Peter's control regarding the current restrictions but as far as I'm concerned the current "experience" of the VOBS isn't what I signed up and paid for. It is basically, show up whenever, between these dates, get a spot in a field and go out. No venders, No food, No meeting people and joining others on rides. And unfortunately, due to the way it's been handled, I won't even consider it next year.
I get what you're saying and with the maps this year being the same as last year, I'm using more as a shakedown for my KOAR2020 (UP in Michigan) trip in a few weeks. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing it again as I'm looking to go on either long multi-day runs in NH/VT & ME, or doing some events and runs to the south and west.

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

I'm working on a Class 6 road map of NH. Wondering if any others may be interesting on assisting. I've mapped out Belknap County and moving to Carroll next. I have the list of Class 6 roads I can provide. Requires a mapping program that can produce .gpx (I'm using Gaia) To be able to share.
I'll assist where I can, even if it's joining you scouting roads.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm back from exploring a run from New Boston to Washington NH, mostly by dirt! That was fun and successful. Once my tablet decides to update the laptop, I'll get a map route shown. Till then, I'm updating the YouTube site with videos of the run. I'll get a couple a day processed over the next few days.

Here's the first that's up now.

BNH New Boston to Washington NH pt1

Reactions: NHMachinist

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Gaia finally decided to share!!! Guess my WiFi is just slow today.. Here's the map for ya'll.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 12.55.11 PM.png

I only ran to Antrim for gas and a porcelain break, but did manage to get on dirt fairly quickly back to our route. I drove 4 class 6 runs and opt'ed out on nearly as many, you can see the stub lines were I turned back. King St entering Washington was the most technical Class 6 we did. I had my wife drive as I spotted/directed. Given I'm only on 33's and barely a 1.5" lift, we did very well! She was surprised how well she did!

Pillsbury SP was booked up for the 1st night, but Sweet Song CG came through nicely! You can book with them through Sweet Song CG Hipcamp Pillsbury had a couple open for the 2nd night and we just wanted to flop and it was a good site (pond view)! The run in all was 102 miles and with all the discoveries/mistakes/re-routes it took us 7hrs. I see this as a good 5+hr run once cleaned up.

Charlestown/Unity is mostly dirt roads and several Class 6 to explore/enjoy! I will happily return there!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm still working through the list of Class 6 roads in NH. I'm now 1/2 way into the mapping. 800+ miles, consisting of 600+ roads. Ya.. half way!

The deal here is very simple. Help build the map, you get back as much as you contribute. Have routes/tracks, swap for the same in your area of choice. Wish to explore and report on some, so others can use?

No costs involved, just your effort. That's what I believe this site is all about!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I seriously can not post a picture of any detail better than this to give you folks a clue of the Class 6 NH Map I've put together. I'm looking for folks to rate routes and compile info for us all. Cost is participation in the project.

PM me if interested. I'm building another file of Dirt Roads in NH, they'd be great connectors and travel ports. If you're like me and prefer Dirt over Tar, then help me build this and we all share and enjoy!

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 5.35.43 PM.png

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Anyone know if Beebe River Road is open to Sandwich Notch? If so Trail condition?
I should update this.. Beebe Road requires permission to travel across. I didn't call to check procedure. I entered from Sandwich Notch and was hoping for a drive through.. gated!