Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Good news! I found a reasonable priced engine and my mechanic is being more then kind on pricing the install! I'll be up and running in about 2 weeks (only be worked on Saturday's, they can't tie up the shop weekdays). Since it's used, they'll pull the front off and replace the notorious timing chain guides! The 4.6L is know to be a strong working engine, but those guides are what get every engine after 200K miles. I had all intentions of doing that this spring, but.... I waited that little bit too long!

This puts me at planning stage for a run to explore some more come June. I want to tweak the foliage run I have a bit. Any runs I do will be weekday's, so maybe tough for some of ya to join in, yet still welcome if you wish.

Auburn to WMNF Osceola Vista Campground is typically my first stop. Would like to find an alternative, like in the woods.. Tripoli Road is possible, but a real PITA coming in from the Waterville end.

I like the day two run up to WMNF Cold Water Campground. I hope to check out another site that's a bit deeper in the woods and along the river near by. I've found several back road routes last year that I'm trying to combine into another/different run.

I now have two versions I like for day 3 up to Errol. I have found a couple stealth spots, but with Moligiwock Campground being open this year, that's a great spot to overnight (or spend a week). Both versions travel dirt into Errol, just one is more dirt than the other.

Day four I have worked out a really nice run by dirt into Pittsburg. Plenty of stealth opportunities, but again with the State campgrounds opening back up, Deer Mountain Campground is the place!

Hope I got excited about doing a run (or two). Let's make it happen this year!

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I tend to do overnight runs, well... because I can and love that part! That does not mean you need to as well! There's always the 'meet up' and run the day, or stay over just that night. How ever it works out, I'll be doing these right into Foliage Season and probably a bit beyond (like last year).

I'd love to share these runs with ya'll.

NHMachinist

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin NH
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Minzner
Member #

Good news! I found a reasonable priced engine and my mechanic is being more then kind on pricing the install! I'll be up and running in about 2 weeks (only be worked on Saturday's, they can't tie up the shop weekdays). Since it's used, they'll pull the front off and replace the notorious timing chain guides! The 4.6L is know to be a strong working engine, but those guides are what get every engine after 200K miles. I had all intentions of doing that this spring, but.... I waited that little bit too long!

This puts me at planning stage for a run to explore some more come June. I want to tweak the foliage run I have a bit. Any runs I do will be weekday's, so maybe tough for some of ya to join in, yet still welcome if you wish.

Auburn to WMNF Osceola Vista Campground is typically my first stop. Would like to find an alternative, like in the woods.. Tripoli Road is possible, but a real PITA coming in from the Waterville end.

I like the day two run up to WMNF Cold Water Campground. I hope to check out another site that's a bit deeper in the woods and along the river near by. I've found several back road routes last year that I'm trying to combine into another/different run.

I now have two versions I like for day 3 up to Errol. I have found a couple stealth spots, but with Moligiwock Campground being open this year, that's a great spot to overnight (or spend a week). Both versions travel dirt into Errol, just one is more dirt than the other.

Day four I have worked out a really nice run by dirt into Pittsburg. Plenty of stealth opportunities, but again with the State campgrounds opening back up, Deer Mountain Campground is the place!

Hope I got excited about doing a run (or two). Let's make it happen this year!
I would be up for that run.During the week works for me , retired.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Great! I will add more detail as we approach the timeline. Nothing that I have routed requires anything over a stock rig and some common sense driving. I do have a couple runs I like that do prefer others to spot in areas. It was a great experience for the wife and I. She has yet to learn spotting, but as a driver.. she's got it!.

Again, none of what I'm proposing on this first run involves any of that. Actually.. none of what I'll propose will take anything of a mild lift (taller tire) and woods driving experience. Then, with others along, that experience can be gained.

It's just fun to share what is found with others of same. Let's try to make this year a good year for NH exploration!

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

We'll have to get together and go over peoples availability and plan some things. Even if its just a day run. Us working folks have to schedule things...
That's where I see an overnight for some and extended for others. I figure there is a way we can all meetup/join in if we so try!

I can resolve to camping on a weekend if so required... lol!

We're together here. What time do you have available? Let's plan time, then plan route.

NHMachinist

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Franklin NH
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Minzner
Member #

We'll have to get together and go over peoples availability and plan some things. Even if its just a day run. Us working folks have to schedule things...
It would be great to have you guys
That's where I see an overnight for some and extended for others. I figure there is a way we can all meetup/join in if we so try!

I can resolve to camping on a weekend if so required... lol!

We're together here. What time do you have available? Let's plan time, then plan route.
I agree