Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

So I am maxing out what my rig can carry, and frankly, don't need all my gear on the truck all the time. Same story as many of you I am sure. This is compelling me to consider a trailer. I'm an amateur welder, and have the shop space to build, but it seems like a daunting endeavor vs. buying one of the many great options on the market. So, my line of questioning is mostly centered on build vs. buy, but also solicits input from those who have built (and/or bought before) and some of the pros, cons, and "wish I knew that's".

1) The primary question: Build one or Buy one? Lets assume budget is 10k for the sake of discussion. Take the Patriots and Turtlebacks off the table!
2) If buy, what are you seeing that is worth a look? Same constraints as question 1.
3) If build, what are some of the things to know before you build, i.e. lessons learned?

For context, I already have an RTT, Fridge w/ slides, full kitchen, 270 awning, and a set of 5 TRD Pro Take-off wheels/tires. Full pack out also includes recovery gear, 4 jerry cans, 8.5 gallon Waterport, battery pack and solar, bags/chairs, potty, etc...

Thanks in advance for entertaining my questions and for your valued feedback!

Cheers,
Dave

Reactions: trail_runn4r

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So I am maxing out what my rig can carry, and frankly, don't need all my gear on the truck all the time. Same story as many of you I am sure. This is compelling me to consider a trailer. I'm an amateur welder, and have the shop space to build, but it seems like a daunting endeavor vs. buying one of the many great options on the market. So, my line of questioning is mostly centered on build vs. buy, but also solicits input from those who have built (and/or bought before) and some of the pros, cons, and "wish I knew that's".

1) The primary question: Build one or Buy one? Lets assume budget is 10k for the sake of discussion. Take the Patriots and Turtlebacks off the table!
2) If buy, what are you seeing that is worth a look? Same constraints as question 1.
3) If build, what are some of the things to know before you build, i.e. lessons learned?

For context, I already have an RTT, Fridge w/ slides, full kitchen, 270 awning, and a set of 5 TRD Pro Take-off wheels/tires. Full pack out also includes recovery gear, 4 jerry cans, 8.5 gallon Waterport, battery pack and solar, bags/chairs, potty, etc...

Cheers,
Dave
I recently went through this same thought process. I don't have 5 grand to spend, let alone 10 grand to buy a trailer (though I suppose I could finance it, but don't really want to go down that route, with two car payments and a mortgage), so the decision was pretty easy for me.

Unlike you, I don't have the skills or equipment to weld it using steel, so I have to go the wood route. While it's not ideal, I figure what the types of trails and routes I'll be taking, wood will work just fine.

The idea of having a trailer that's always ready to go is very appealing to my wife and I, since we love to get out and go, but currently it takes me many hours to collect all the equipment, and get it loaded into the rigs (and we currently take two due to space, and gear, and the fact that we both love driving).

The question is.....if you look at what's available in the $10k range, can you build something much better for less? If the answer is yes, the to me, it would make sense to build your own, even if you start from pre-done frame.

Reactions: Dave Purvis

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Check out the trailer from CVT, while the price has continued to go up this last year it's still under 10k.

Reactions: Dave Purvis

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
You have some skills @old_man, wish I had talent like that. Now Conqueror doesn't look like it costs anything close to $10K, also the CVT starts under $10K but with just a few options it quickly goes over! You might want to try and look for a local builder around you to stay under $10K.

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

I kept a strict tally on building mine. I fabricated most everything except the doors. I still spent around $4000.
Thanks Tom, that thing is impressive! I checked out your build thread, its awesome. How long did it take from start to finish? (ok, start to really useable; I know it is never truly finished :smirk: )

Last edited:
Reactions: old_man and Shahn

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
My theory on this is the same for many things in life. If you have the skills or want to learn... Always do it yourself! This way if something breaks, you know exactly what it will take to fix it. Besides you will have better quality and the satisfaction that you made that!!!
I cannot agree with this more. You also know your rig better than anything you can get from the factory. makes upkeep and maintenance much easier. Not to mention if something fails (in my experience) it has been easier to trace the problem.

Robert Fullen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kerrville, Tx
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Fullen
Member #

Service Branch
None
I bought mine from a local builder and saved me a ton of time! I can now finish it however I like!

Attachments

Reactions: Shahn

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Buy vs Build ????

Are you a handy guy?
Can you build a beautiful fence ?

If yes then definitely have a go at a trailer to fit the camping stuff.
Lord knows there is plenty of info on just this forum. Pick some key design musts. Plan it out on paper or in yer head. Have at 'er.

I've seen hundreds of builds that never make the internet. 1 in 10 are great. 2 in 10 function as intended. 3 in 10 are disasters waiting for reality to set in. 4 in 10 never get finished.

To build you need some tools and some skills and a design plus, the big one, the ability to complete the project as designed.
You have all the compnents why not just buy a trailer..... OR you have all the components it should cost less than $2K to build an EXPO trailer to carry it all. $10K is crazy.
If you buy a trailer.... even a Harbour Fright thing..... getting it road ready should be no harder than setting up the Toyota you already use.

PS I'm wondering why you need 5 TRD rims...... ??

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I find $10k to be a lot of money to spend, but I do love my trailer. I think since 2014, I have about $4-5k in it.
I was lucky that a friend built the frame based on his M416 trailer, another friend helped me build a box from plywood to look like a M416 box. In 2017 I built a new box out of Hickory wood (tongue and groove for sealing and strength), the tongue hitch slides up to 3’ for adjustment in towing and I just purchased a new axle because I bent the old one. This trailer has over 50k miles on it, two trips to Alaska, the Arctic Ocean, a lot of the mountains in CO & NM and trips to Texas and the Midwest. I use matching wheels with my vehicle and when I replace the vehicle tires, I do so at 5-6/32 of tread and then use the older tires for the trailer.
Now, I use my trailer to carry stuff, camping gear, supplies, etc. When I camp with my friends, we set up a central cooking, eating and sitting area, so to have pull out stove and sink or whatever it’s not what I want, I want it portable. This year I will add a smaller box to carry my older ARB fridge and mount my RTT to the trailer.
One more thing, I can remove the box on my trailer and use it as a stake box or flat bed to carry other stuff, like a load of fire wood, a pallet of pavers, etc.

Some questions, can you buy what you want? Can you better build what you want and do you have the time? Should you decide later that you want to modify it, which is better?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahn

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have owned 3 DIY and 3 production trailers. I currently own one of each. Yes, I am nuts. IF you have the skills (or friends with skills) and the time building can be fun. I have seen a lot of junky DIY trailers that IMHO are just waiting to fall apart. Bad frames, overloaded, poor welds, etc. See the Do you have the skills question. DIY will never be as nice fit and finish-wise as most production trailers. If that isn't an issue go for it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The guys that say they can build an "insert trailer manf/model) here for $500 blah blah blah are full of it. For 10k you could likely build a very nice trailer. But if you don't have the skills to build it you will dump a bunch of funds into materials just to mess them up during your build.

I have some articles on my website that go over all of the trailers I have owned.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
We've decided to build our own. I built this cap for the Toyota, then sold the Toyota. Tried to sell it but as I already knew, it's hard to sell a one off piece. So.....I'll build a bottom and put this on top. Cost should be minimal. If you have the skills and the desire to ask the right questions, build it yourself. You'll be much happier than slamming 6-8 stacks down on the counter for something you have no control of.
Zim
IMG-1569.JPG

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Including the cost of the original trailer (4x6; Carry On) I have a bit under 4,000 dumped into it, ending up with a heavily modified, overbuilt, lightweight trailer, 1500 lbs loaded. It does go anywhere our Landcruiser will go. I cannot weld, but I have friends that do. A year ago we were in the San Rafael Swell with a friend that rented an “off road” trailer that retailed for well over $20,000. It was big, heavy and cumbersome. What struck me though was how poor the fit & finish was. Hardware was rusting, drawer & fridge sliders were weak and flimsy, and the water heater attachment points had failed. Gaskets were flopping around as well. I figured normal wear & tear maybe after a few years, but no, the trailer was less than a year old.. here’s mine. Build your own, would be my best advice.

My next trailer will be a home build. Time is also a issue for me so decided not to do my build until after I retire from my full time job. My projects always take longer then I estimate. I am a certified welder and aircraft mechanic so I want to use those skills and build a super lightweight trailer based on aircraft type structure.

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
My next trailer will be a home build. Time is also a issue for me so decided not to do my build until after I retire from my full time job. My projects always take longer then I estimate. I am a certified welder and aircraft mechanic so I want to use those skills and build a super lightweight trailer based on aircraft type structure.
I would love to see what you have in mind.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I build things daily ... like in my build thread below. I often wake up in the middle of the night to, among other things (I'm old) make notes or sketch something on paper for ongoing projects. I'm OK with this. When I start taking naps in the shop THEN I will have a problem. :blush:

Reactions: MSD

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

Cheers,
Dave
I have heard that Bushwacker makes cheap trailers. However, they have some quality control issues.