Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Without a doubt, they are huge advantage for safety. Not a requirement for safety, just a convenience. My only criticism of them is they breed bad drivers. Like what happens when the camera fails. Basic driving skills and safety procedures cannot be replaced by technology. Pay attention, learn to drive, use a spotter if you need one.

Technology only substitutes stupidity for skill.

Reactions: MOAK

RoverLander

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Don
Last Name
MacGregor
Member #

The view back is much more clear than the standard mirror and the field of view is close to 180 degrees which provides the ability to see both down the left and right as I backup allowing me to ensure there is no oncoming traffic.
This, 100%.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Handy for hitching trailers and backing in parking lots. Oh, and seeing if you left your tailgate down. I still use my mirrors for most things.
Unfortunately I have experienced times when my camera became totally washed out by sunlight. So I still make sure to back up the old fashioned ways -either just using mirrors or twisting around with my hand on the passenger seat. However, I have gotten used to using the back up camera IN ADDITION to the old fashioned method

They are well worth it, as mentioned in other posts, to make sure someone small doesnt jump out and run behind you as you back up.

Anyway, I believe the government is mandating them going forward so you may as well get it. Dont use it if you dont want to, but it's nice to have it in a tight spot.

Now that I have the back up cam, I wish I had a camera on the FRONT of my truck for easier parking in thw city

Reactions: Desert Runner

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I use my backup camera even though it's partly blocked by a swing out. I added a low mount front camera for better vis off roading, great investment.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Another helpful use: I installed an override switch so that I can turn it on while moving forward. It is really handy to be able to look at the hitch, safety chains, electrical hookup, etc. without stopping. It has saved my bacon a couple of times.

Reactions: Old Tanker

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I relocated mine as soon as I put my rear spare on. I have to parallel park daily, so it is a real help. I built a wiring harness with a second cam and when I take the tire off, I unplug the aux cam, and flip a switch to use the stock cam again.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I have a stock rear camera and just added a front camera last month (I can switch to those anytime regardless if I’m in D or R).

I find those very useful on trails, especially on tight switchbacks or when I need to crawl over big rocks.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Changing out factory radio for a new double din alpine but should I really install a back-up camera?
I had both rear and forward facing cameras connected to my Kenwood head unit in the Jeep. For the cameras I just bought cheapies from Amazon and they work great (~$10 ea). I never really needed the rear for backing up on the street, but it really helped in the woods. The front camera was the clutch, and why I got them, as I used it when breaking over terrain where all I could see from the drivers seat was sky. Flip on the camera and I did't have to get out to see what was ahead!

I have the head unit in the van now, but only need the rear camera since there isn't a hood in the way out front. :p I also have a rear facing camera for my dash cam. I may use the 'front' camera for a blind spot camera on the Drivers side.

At $20 - $30 for both, why not? Don't feel like you have to buy the $100 Alpine cameras!! These are the ones I have and they work great for the price:

I was looking for a pic showing the front camera, but guess I don't have one..

IMG_20190414_130258.jpg

I mounted the front camera under the fair-lead. When I was on road I had a license plate the fit over he fair-lead, and also covered the camera so it wasn't getting hit by bugs on the highway. Here you can see it (I had just used the winch, hence the cable)..

IMG_20190417_121323.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RoarinRow

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

All throughput my first 3 decades of driving there were no back-up cameras, but I must admit I like them a lot, I just don't "need" one to back up safely.

Nbyapp

Rank IV
Investor

Influencer II

Fort Worth, Texas, United States
First Name
Nolen
Last Name
Yapp
Member #

It’s not really something I think of as an additional “safety” feature, I think of it more as a convenience feature. It makes my life soooo easy when I have to hitch up a trailer and my Canyon has the guide line. And I know, I know “back up like a man using mirrors” blah blah BUT think of it like this, you can always paddle a boat... however, it makes your life easier to just strap a motor on it haha

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
It’s not really something I think of as an additional “safety” feature, I think of it more as a convenience feature. It makes my life soooo easy when I have to hitch up a trailer and my Canyon has the guide line. And I know, I know “back up like a man using mirrors” blah blah BUT think of it like this, you can always paddle a boat... however, it makes your life easier to just strap a motor on it haha
I find the backup cam useful on trails, to help watch my departure angles. I suppose it could also help with parking, but I am old school enough to still look out the mirrors and back window!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Like others have stated they are useful for many things. I still use my mirrors when backing up but with the camera I can back into a parking spot & put my trailer hitch right at the line, no guessing how close I'm getting to the car in the other parking spot. I don't need help hooking up a trailer, that is priceless in itself. Many times I've used it to see if I closed the tailgate! In the next couple of years I'll be getting a new truck and looking forward to having a 360 degree camera system!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The camera curmudgeon says NO. The cameras are a device that will keep you from becoming one with your machine. All those cameras and lane sensors are great, until you’re driving in snow and they get covered up. Or until they simply fail. Then what? Our RAV4 has one and I turned it off long ago. If it did anything well, the screen was plenty bright. So bright that I couldn’t see anything outside the vehicle at night. The curmudgeon says LOL

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I'm going to add one to the back of my truck. I have a 3500 Ram Megacab and its really long, especially when I have a ball hitch in the receiver, so when parking I need to back in as far as possible to not stick out into the drive aisle. A camera will help with that. I view it as a tool, not a crutch, to aid in successfully accomplish a task.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

In actuality, my truck was parked on the street (!) And the person parked behind me on the street was a brand new driver. She left the parking space... badly. Raked the whole side of her car from front marker light to rear marker light with the double crease of the step bumper.

Seems like some people would also use a FRONTWARDS camera

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
In actuality, my truck was parked on the street (!) And the person parked behind me on the street was a brand new driver. She left the parking space... badly. Raked the whole side of her car from front marker light to rear marker light with the double crease of the step bumper.

Seems like some people would also use a FRONTWARDS camera
She probably needs glasses as well as a front camera lol.

Reactions: Old Tanker