Rank II

Contributor III

Virginia Beach, VA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Blankenship
Member #

Using the camera is honestly the only way I back up now. In my truck and work truck. Once I clear my surroundings. Put it in reverse. And then onto the next location. I also utilize an anytime switch so I don’t have to be in reverse to use the back up camera in certain scenarios. It’s a good safety net in some scenarios.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I have found the backup camera on my Jeep Wrangler to be more useful than expected. The view back is much more clear than the standard mirror and the field of view is close to 180 degrees which provides the ability to see both down the left and right as I backup allowing me to ensure there is no oncoming traffic.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I spent many years driving trucks on the highways across America. (Using my mirrors constantly.) My KL is the very first vehicle I've owned in 40+ years that has a back up camera, blind spot warning and lane departure controls. I must admit, I've gotten pretty spoiled to the back up camera. What surprised me is ho much I use it on the trail. (It's become invaluable to me.)

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

many injuries happen in driveways, you will usually injure a close family member, or your dog, etc. If you have a vehicle with poor visibility in back, like most pick ups or even classic 4x4 when packed full I would go for back-up camera.
I am sure all of you are super drivers and can park with just the mirrors.. but some added safety for your kids and animals will not hurt.
At least for the new vehicles they should be mandatory by law...
I saw a statistic, I think it was Australia, where most injuries for kids related to car traffic were in driveways.. parent backing out.. kid not careful running arround.... bam... ..

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

As noted above. I also added a front facing camera, for parking and trail riding, as well as a camera under the bumper so I can see the front of both front tires - kinda helps going over ruts, etc. All is interfaced through the factory radio. I like exterior cameras.

Reactions: sabjku

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I run a dual camera setup in my little JK. The rear area is packed with my Overlanding gear and it really comes in handy when backing off road and on switchbacks. It is all in the rear view mirror and is activated whenever the vehicle is on, I can have just front, just rear or any combination of both cameras on at any time. I use the rear camera as a rear view mirror all the time. When I actually go in to reverse the camera angle changes and I can almost read my license plate it gets so low. :smiley:

BritKLR

Rank 0

Traveler I

That isn't a Tigre version is it? I read that they only use 1 ton chassis for the motorhome conversions.
It's one of the orginal ones built in Colorado.....1995 Provan Tiger on a Chevy 3/4 Ton/light duty/6 lug/4wd/V8. I've completely restored/rebuilt it and its taken us to some incredible places but, you do have to pay attention and know its limits
.4617EAE5-67B0-45C8-8253-3453F9B532E6.jpeg01816464-E28C-4F84-B3C1-692368C24F48.jpeg405094C5-4D49-4787-9FE9-0BE528085D90.jpeg
D17399F5-543D-4E75-B369-7C21D8CF9165.jpeg

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
not only is the answer to your question of "is it worth it?" a resounding yes...

in my Tacoma, once the budget allows, I am going to be adding a 4 camera set with a 7" display (I do not think I can fit a 9" display) tucked into the left corner of the dash.I have a bed cap on my truck, but if you have a typical overlander set up with a bed full of gear and a roof top tent mounted to a low profile rack, you are going to loose rear vision... the camera set up I want includes the factory camera being replaced with a bumper mounted camera hooked up to the radio for backing up and trailer connection, but also a camera mounted higher (near the third brake light) attached to my monitor, plus right and left side cameras mounted to my front bumper (I have designed modifications for the bumper to mount them to the side and armor them.) used in conjunction with my side mirrors I will have very li'l in the way of blind spots :) the 4th camera I plan on mounting up front and using in conjunction with IR spot/driving combo lights as at night this will give me extended visual range without blinding oncoming trafic (unless they are wearing NVGs in which case it is their fault) it won't have much value during the day or if I am using off road lights, but at night the IR will cause reflections on signage, people, and critters on the side of the road a significant distance further than I could see them with the headlights alone.

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Changing out factory radio for a new double din alpine but should I really install a back-up camera?
Yes.

Personally I prefer the camera in the mirror, but the backup camera is the only thing I upgraded in my bare bones Nissan Frontier. So nice for towing and hooking up the trailer. Also nice for not accidentally backing over toys and little people.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I cannot see anything without my rear view camera. Lots of kids where I live even my own kids and street cats lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Viking1204

Snerk

Rank 0

Contributor I

Santa Rosa, CA
First Name
michael
Last Name
baker
I never really cared for them before but after getting the Subaru with one stock, I get it.

I still rotate my head around, but day-to-day it's nice to have a much better idea of where the edge of the bumper is, and when out in the thick it's come in handy for reversing up roads.

Reactions: Desert Runner