Any vegan overlanders out there?

• HTML tutorial

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

Vegetarian going on 15 yrs here. We eat our own version of camp food like taco, potatoes, 'burgers', etc. There are endless recipes and storage strategies out there for long hauls. I used to sail and learned a lot about long term food storage from the sailing community. I've been thinking about flying a Veg flag to attract the like minded. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Vegetarian going on 15 yrs here. We eat our own version of camp food like taco, potatoes, 'burgers', etc. There are endless recipes and storage strategies out there for long hauls. I used to sail and learned a lot about long term food storage from the sailing community. I've been thinking about flying a Veg flag to attract the like minded. [emoji106]

That is awesome! I have found that just changing the filling in tacos or burgers has really been an adventure. It certainly allows for some creativity.

Reactions: The_Just

SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M

Yes!! Lets all get a flag that would be classic!

Sent from my SM-J320V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Schake and The_Just

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I like it either way. It definitely encourages one to eat their veggies. [emoji12]

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
-Nietzsche

Reactions: SCrunner

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
I've been obsessed with this lately: One-pan pasta dishes! Basically, just saute ingredients, add broth and dry noodles, and cook until the pasta is done and sauce is thick.
I also think Bucatini may be my favorite pasta, so this recipe is the best of both worlds:

One-Pan Bucatini with Leeks and Lemon

Serves 4
1 to 1 1/2pounds leeks
12ounces bucatini, see notes above
4cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 to 1/2teaspoons red pepper flakes
2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
4 1/2cups water
Zest of one lemon
1/2cup finely chopped parsley
Parmigiano Reggiano, for serving, optional OR use Vegan Parmesan Substitute (see below)
  1. Trim off the root end and dark green portions of each leek. Slice in half lengthwise. At this point, you want to slice the leek into long, thin strips. This is the method I have been using: Place each half cut side up, and slice in half again, then slice each half in half again — essentially you're cutting the leek into eights. Once the leek is in eighths, most of the strips will be nice and thin — you may just need to cut the outer most layers in half again. If leeks are dirty, soak them in a bowl of cold water to allow dirt to settle. Once clean, scoop leeks out from bowl.
  2. Combine leeks, pasta, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like heat), oil, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, pepper to taste, and water in a large straight-sided skillet (the bucatini should nearly lay flat).
  3. Bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer mixture, stirring and turning pasta frequently with tongs or a fork, until pasta is al dente and water has nearly evaporated, about 9 minutes. Add lemon zest and parsley and toss to coat.
  4. Season to taste with salt (I consistently add another 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste), pepper, and pepper flakes for more heat. Serve with Parmesan, if using.

Vegan Parmesan recipe
Yields 1-1/4 cups

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup raw pine nuts (you can also use raw cashews)
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon (little scant) sea salt
  • Zest of 1 small lemon
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. To a food processor, add all the ingredients.
  3. Gently pulse until the pine nuts are very fine in texture (you do not want to overprocess this, or you will have a cheesy glob of pine nut butter.)
  4. Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes, stirring periodically.
  5. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely.
  6. Sprinkle onto anything you would normally use Parmesan cheese on or just for added flavor to any dish. Store the "cheese" in a jar with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

Here's a good lunch option and the filling can easily be made ahead:

Chickpea "Tuna" Salad

Serves 4
  • One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, or vegan mayonnaise, depending on how creamy you'd like it
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 2 scallions, roughly chopped
  • 1 jalapeño, roughly chopped (optional)
  • 2 ribs celery (include any leaves), roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup roughly chopped red onion
  • 1 teaspoon capers, with liquid
  • 1/4-sheet crumbled nori, plus more for sprinkling (optional)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 pinch smoked paprika (optional)
  • Rye bread, lettuce, sliced avocado, and/or sprouts, for serving
  1. In the bowl of a food processor, pulse chickpeas until roughly chopped but not obliterated.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse to combine.
  3. Serve on rye bread on top of a leaf of lettuce. Top with sliced avocado and sprouts.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I've been obsessed with this lately: One-pan pasta dishes! Basically, just saute ingredients, add broth and dry noodles, and cook until the pasta is done and sauce is thick.
Way to make me hungry bro. I am gonna add it to my list of recipes to try.

Reactions: Dana Ramos

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Veggie Man
Here is another vegan dish that is on my list to try:
http://sweetpotatosoul.com/2015/07/sweet-potato-falafel-sandwich-video.html
I don't think the falafel recipe should be too difficult to make camp ready with a dutch oven. Might need to pre-make the balls, freeze them,
@Veggie Man

Figured I'd report back. I made the Sweet Potato Falafel along with Breakfast burritos based on the Honey Lime Taco recipe for last weekend's trip to Capitol Reef NP.
For the Sweet Potato Falafel I made up, baked, and froze, a double recipe of the Falafel balls. Used aluminum take out tins. Then made the cucumber salad and Tahini topping onsite. We used a pre-made spring mix salad. Packed all in the Igloo Sportsman cooler for the trip. On day 3, we heated them up by tossing the tins of Falafel balls on the Propane BBQ Grill on low temp. When hot everyone grabbed a pita, stuffend in a couple of Falafel balls, then topped as desired. They all disappeared.

Boort

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Winner bro! I'm on it. I love falafel and need to start making better dinners. I've gotten lazy.

Thanks for the feedback. Reviews are always a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk