Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Hey @Roloc , any chance you can measure the distance between the front of the half bin and the cab bed wall? I'm thinking I might want to section that area off as a kennel for my dog and want to get an idea of how much space he would have. Thanks.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Hey @Roloc , any chance you can measure the distance between the front of the half bin and the cab bed wall? I'm thinking I might want to section that area off as a kennel for my dog and want to get an idea of how much space he would have. Thanks.
Ack sorry this took so long to respond to I totally missed it. It's right around 31.5" I have a molle panel on there so that's why it's not exact.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I have been thinking about this project and trying to plan it for a year and then waiting on parts and the time to finish for months! But I have done it. Dual battery setup on the 2020 Ram Power Wagon complete and ran it to a box with the bluetooth Garmin PowerSwitch to control from my phone or Garmin Overlander as well as a fuse block for future accessories in the truck bed/rack.

Below is my writeup from this thread where a BUNCH of Overland Bound folks helped me figure all of this out.

Optima Yellowtop DH7 for the battery and the NHOverland Battery Mount the mount was key to this whole thing to my knowledge there are no other options to do this for the Gas Ram 2500s 2019+. That is charged from the starter battery by the Redarc BCDC charger. I will eventually put an Anderson plug on there for solar and then either charge temporarily or permanently but I haven't figured that out yet. The reason for this being is that for some reason Ram decided to put the ECU there where it isn't there on the diesel engines so you can't use the factory battery mount like the diesels have... trust me I tried....

Also not particularly satisfied with those battery terminals. I may swap them out. But I do LOVE the blue sea terminal fuses. Great option that saves wiring and less connections is always better I think.
IMG_6497.jpeg

All of that through a 2/0 cable to this "custom" built box that is meant to take up as little space as possible in the RSI box so I can still use it for storage. This is where eventually I will run all of the auxiliary lighting and hard wire the fridge to also a rear facing dash cam. The big kicker Is I have a 50amp Anderson plug I mounted on the top that you can't see. I plan on using that to charge the trailer as well as plug my portable air compressor when needed. I am also thinking about hooking up a permanent compressor for the air bags to keep them inflated to a constant pressure. So lots of fun to be had now that is accessible.
IMG_6498.jpeg
IMG_6499.jpeg

So yeah pretty happy with the results. A few things I am going to fix like vacuuming around the box to get all the saw dust away and waiting for big enough heat shrink for the big cables but after that it's just all about getting things wired up to the box and getting out there!

Last edited:

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I like you power station setup. I plan to run half bins on both sides of my RSI SmartCap. I will mount my on board air system on one side and do a power setup on the other. For the power side I'm thinking about running a 25-40ah LiFePO4 battery connected to my 100w solar panel. That will run my fridge SmartCap lights and maybe even all my off road lights. That way my truck battery is just used for the truck. With the dogs using the space in front of the half bins and both bins already allocated for air and power, I'll need to find a good way/place to put my recovery gear.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I like you power station setup. I plan to run half bins on both sides of my RSI SmartCap. I will mount my on board air system on one side and do a power setup on the other. For the power side I'm thinking about running a 25-40ah LiFePO4 battery connected to my 100w solar panel. That will run my fridge SmartCap lights and maybe even all my off road lights. That way my truck battery is just used for the truck. With the dogs using the space in front of the half bins and both bins already allocated for air and power, I'll need to find a good way/place to put my recovery gear.
Sounds like a plan the half bins are awesome. I have a full bin on the other side and that’s where I put the recovery gear. There is a weight limit of 55lbs on the full bins I’m not sure what the half bins are but gotta keep that in mind. Maybe under the backseat for the recovery gear?

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Sounds like a plan the half bins are awesome. I have a full bin on the other side and that’s where I put the recovery gear. There is a weight limit of 55lbs on the full bins I’m not sure what the half bins are but gotta keep that in mind. Maybe under the backseat for the recovery gear?
RSI says the limit for half bins are 25lbs. I plan to attach the wire grating for the dog's create to the ends of the half bins. That should allow them to carry a bit more weight since they will be supported on one end from the bed. I don't think I'll need to go over teh 25lbs limit, but it can't hurt having the bins supported more. I'm thinking of adding some molly panels to the insides of the half bins and all of my straps could be attached to that. The traction boards may end up on top of the SmartCap along with the solar panel and other tools. The straps might also fit nicely in the under floor cubbies in the back seat area. I'm sure I'll have to play around with stuff to figure it all out.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

RSI says the limit for half bins are 25lbs. I plan to attach the wire grating for the dog's create to the ends of the half bins. That should allow them to carry a bit more weight since they will be supported on one end from the bed. I don't think I'll need to go over teh 25lbs limit, but it can't hurt having the bins supported more. I'm thinking of adding some molly panels to the insides of the half bins and all of my straps could be attached to that. The traction boards may end up on top of the SmartCap along with the solar panel and other tools. The straps might also fit nicely in the under floor cubbies in the back seat area. I'm sure I'll have to play around with stuff to figure it all out.
Yeah for sure more support is better. That recovery gear gets heavy though which is why I meantioned it. Also you shouldcheck out icky concepts molle panels too. Really good stuff I may add them to the sides but I have them in the bulkhead and keep the portable compressor and my jack all secured against those.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Yeah for sure more support is better. That recovery gear gets heavy though which is why I meantioned it. Also you shouldcheck out icky concepts molle panels too. Really good stuff I may add them to the sides but I have them in the bulkhead and keep the portable compressor and my jack all secured against those.
Thanks, I'll checkout icky concepts. I run a molle panel on the front of my Gladiator's bed now. I have my hi-lift mounted to it and that works well.

Uberland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Springfield, VA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Thanks! There are some pictures above of the bins on the side and here are some of what the inside looks like. I will get some better shots or a video if you'd like. Ultimately they aren't to deep to be obnoxious and you can still see out the back window.

A couple of additions I didn't update this thread on but you can see the table in the top of the Smart cap it is very nice thing to have and out of the way for such a big table. Also my favorite part by far is the fact that the whole thing is metal so I can use a ton of magnets to get stuff up and out of the way but still accessible. Those MaxTrax are mounted with magnets! No drilling and allows me to be totally modular.

View attachment 198680
View attachment 198681

View attachment 198682
I've really appreciated your build thread, especially the RSI cap. How are you liking it now that you've owned it for a while? Is it insulated? I definitely like the look and the roof load potential, but I'd be looking to probably set up a sleeping option inside (hence my question on the insulation). Thanks!

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Dual battery setup on the 2020 Ram Power Wagon complete and ran it to a box with the bluetooth Garmin PowerSwitch to control from my phone or Garmin Overlander as well as a fuse block for future accessories in the truck bed/rack.
Hey Roloc, what made you go with the PowerSwitch over something like the SwitchPros or the like?

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I've got another question/ask for you if you don't mind. Can you measure the distance between the center most roof supports for me? I want to get some lights to go in there and thought I'd add them to the Christmas list for the wife, but my cap will not be here until next year.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I've really appreciated your build thread, especially the RSI cap. How are you liking it now that you've owned it for a while? Is it insulated? I definitely like the look and the roof load potential, but I'd be looking to probably set up a sleeping option inside (hence my question on the insulation). Thanks!
Love it. It is not insulated though, I have only slept in the back once and it was fine but the low was only like 45. One thing to keep in mind is there is no way that I know of to lock them from the inside or open them so you have to rig something up to keep the door closed. I just use a rope, no biggie but a oversight in my opinion by RSI. I usually sleep in my Hiker Trailer these days.

Hey Roloc, what made you go with the PowerSwitch over something like the SwitchPros or the like?
Three reasons... 1) I already had a Garmin overlander which means I had the switch panel already installed and no need to run more wires. 2) I like the bluetooth app and it actually works, I had an spod before and the app was god awful, the Garmin one works fantastic. 3) You can program your own buttons, so like say you want three separate lights to come on at 50% (think rack lights and setting up camp) you can make one button that does that so it is very customizable. I don't know a ton about Switchpros but I know that wasn't possible with the sPod.

I'll have to do the measurements later, I am not near a tape measure.

ROD_5207.jpg

Reactions: Uberland and Neuvik

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks Roloc. I've looked at the Garmin Overlander a few times in the past, but it never seemed to offer enough to justify the cost. I've always ran Gaia GPS on my 10" tablet for maps and just used my phone for the times I need on road nav. GPS and SOS is handled by an InReach Mini. I'll have to give it another look now that they have it working with some other modules. For the PowerSwitch, you still have to wire in your own fuses/relays correct?

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

Thanks Roloc. I've looked at the Garmin Overlander a few times in the past, but it never seemed to offer enough to justify the cost. I've always ran Gaia GPS on my 10" tablet for maps and just used my phone for the times I need on road nav. GPS and SOS is handled by an InReach Mini. I'll have to give it another look now that they have it working with some other modules. For the PowerSwitch, you still have to wire in your own fuses/relays correct?
no it’s got all of that built in. And yeah I mean the overlander is a bit overkill when compared to On-x or Gia or something but I like not having to download anything and then being able to just randomly look for dispersed campsites while out on the trail has saved us more than a few times with the overlander.

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

I've got another question/ask for you if you don't mind. Can you measure the distance between the center most roof supports for me? I want to get some lights to go in there and thought I'd add them to the Christmas list for the wife, but my cap will not be here until next year.
found a tape measure! It’s 41 inches also I’d look into their hide away table for in that space I have it and really like it

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Thanks for the measurement. I was hoping to find the lights I want to mount inside the cap on a Black Friday sale, but it was not meant to be :( The table seems pretty cool, but I already have a nice aluminium folding table that I carry with me. Plus, $400 for a folding table is a bit much. I'd rather put that towards some other mods.

Reactions: Roloc

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Looking at your half bin power set some more, what size hole did you drill in the to to pass your wires through? What tool did you use and did you add a grommet of some type?

Reactions: Uberland

Roloc

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Rodda
Member #

It’s about an inch and a half and I just used a step up drill bit to get through it. And grommet? That’s to nice for me, I painted it to prevent rush and wrapped it with electrical tape :)

Reactions: Etoimos