Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

I bought this truck mid-summer to replace a 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax Diesel 4x4 and when I got it home, I began setting it up for traveling and doing some off-roading.

Frontier crew cab, short-bed 4.0L V6, 4x4, Automatic.
IMG_2897.jpg
First thing I did was install Weather Tech floor mats, front and rear.
IMG_2870.jpg
IMG_2872.jpg

I ordered and installed Radflo Coil-overs for the front suspension(3" lift).
IMG_2978.jpg

And Dever AAL-2 springs and Bilstein 5125 extended shocks for the rear(3" lift).
IMG_2901.jpg

Also for the front suspension was SPC Upper Control Arms w/adjustable position ball-joint.
IMG_2908.jpg

Once I had all the suspension components in my possession, I installed it on the following weekend.
Once the lift was complete, the extra height came out to 2-7/8" front and 3" rear.
IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

Now, it was time to install the new wheels and taller tires. I went with Ultra Crusher 195 wheels(16X8) and Mastercraft Courser CXT LT255/85-R16 (33'1").
IMG_3205.jpg
IMG_3216.jpg

Last edited:

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

I then began building a Accessory Power board using a section of ABS. Installed 5 relays(four 30/40AMP and one 50 AMP).
I added a 12 position Blue Sea fuse block and HD buss-bar.
IMG_2934.jpg

The accessory panel is install above the driver's side kick panel, under the dash.
IMG_2944.jpg

The Fuse & Relay accessory panel is fed by a 100 AMP breaker and 100 AMP relay mounted under the hood.
IMG_2958.jpg

While waiting for other items, I added my own tough to the rear quarter panels.
I designed and ordered the SV-4X decal.
The OFF ROAD sticker & Mountain Theme was ordered from two other sticker supplier.
IMG_3245.jpg

The raw metal front HD winch bumper was ordered from ShrockWorks w/full grill guard and head light loops.
IMG_3336.jpg

I had a 17K winch that was purchased for my 3/4 ton truck Chevy, but was never installed, so I decided to use it in this bumper.
I did a test-fit to make certain it would fit. It did, with only a couple inches to spare. Then I removed it to prep the bumper.
IMG_3339.jpg

Last edited:

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

In between the floor mat and lift installation, I installed the Prodigy P3 trailer brake controller at the lower section of the dash, in easy reach.
IMG_2871.jpg

The front and rear traffic cameras were transferred from the 3/4 ton truck, to the Frontier.
IMG_2875.jpg
IMG_2876.jpg

A GMRS radio was installed, along with a Comet CA-2X4RS Dual Band Antenna.
IMG_2936.jpg
IMG_2942.jpg

A modified 90° galvanized bracket was used to mount the Comet antenna to the Nissan Uni-track rail inside the truck bed.
IMG_2956.jpg

Reactions: Wallygator

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

It was time to prep, prime and paint the ShrockWorks front bumper.
IMG_3343.jpg

The 17K winch was then installed and re-tested for proper operation, prior to the installation of the bumper.
IMG_3352.jpg

A few days later, it was time to install the bumper.
IMG_3454.jpg
IMG_3453.jpg

I later replaced the winch cable hook with a SmittyBuilt 20K shackle. I then installed a Andersen connector(next to bottom of grill guard hoop) and cables from the battery, to supply power to the winch(see cables running through grill).
IMG_3531.jpg

The power cable and Andersen connector from the winch motor is stored behind the front grill, near the hood latch.
IMG_3498.jpg

When the winch is needed, the power cable is pulled out and plunged into the Andersen connector.
IMG_3493.jpg
IMG_3492.jpg

The Andersen connector also supplies power to a set of 20' jumper cables.
IMG_3502.jpg

Last edited:

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

In between a few of these upgrades, I installed bars onto the upper dash tray, to mount electronics.
IMG_3282.jpg

Upper dash tray removed.
IMG_3284.jpg

Items purchased for this are from two bicycle handle-bar phone mount.
IMG_3295.jpg

The lower clamp rings from one set of mounts were removed to be able to attach them to the dash tray.
IMG_3300.jpg

The dash tray was re-installed and one of the bars was slid into place and tightened down.
IMG_3307.jpg

The second set of clamps and bar was then place where needed and tightened down. Slight adjustments were made to the position of the bars as electronics were installed.
IMG_3314.jpg

A cell phone RAM mount(left), accessory switch controller(center) and 7" trail-camera monitor(right) is installed onto the bars.
The switch controller operates the accessory fuse & rely panel under the dash. The monitor has two channels. One each for front and rear trail cameras. Clamps to mount the phone holder and monitor are from also from RAM.
IMG_3518.jpg

Last edited:

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

It's about damn time you made a build thread!
Yep. Been putting it off for some time. Call me Mr. Procrastinator.

1. Where did you get your custom decals?
DIY Custom Lettering. ← click
If you need something specific, send them a Email. They'll walk you through it.

2. Where did you get the bars for your dash mounts?
Amazon. ← click

3. What paint did you use for your bumper? I have a hell of a time finding something that doesn't chip when you hit a lady bug.
I bought the primer and paint from a local hardware store. KRYLON Gray Primer and KRYLON Industrial Rust Tough. Color is OSHA Gloss Black. # K00799007

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Hi, Karl. View attachment 130980

Is the Navara available in Diesel, or Petro?
Most seem to run the diesel. The crazy thing is the Aussie version has coils in the rear instead of leafs. Check out Tyler's channel. He has a lot of great content and recently replaced his previous Navara after it was stolen with a new one.

Reactions: eagle_A40

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Most seem to run the diesel. The crazy thing is the Aussie version has coils in the rear instead of leafs. Check out Tyler's channel. He has a lot of great content and recently replaced his previous Navara after it was stolen with a new one.

The newer model of the Navara - the NP 300 / D23 has coils - the D40 only has leafs in the rear.

One of the reasons for diesels is because in a lot of remote areas you can't get petrol as they only sell diesel, so something to be aware of if you ever come here and want to go for a drive.

Karl

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The newer model of the Navara - the NP 300 / D23 has coils - the D40 only has leafs in the rear.

One of the reasons for diesels is because in a lot of remote areas you can't get petrol as they only sell diesel, so something to be aware of if you ever come here and want to go for a drive.

Karl
Ahh good to know. Thanks, Karl!

eagle_A40

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

Galvez, Louisiana. USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Somebody
Member #

Karl
How about I go there and ride shotgun with you?

Of course, I'll have to get used to sitting in the left seat with no steering wheel. mocking.gif

• Haha
Reactions: JCWages

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

How about I go there and ride shotgun with you?

Of course, I'll have to get used to sitting in the left seat with no steering wheel.
View attachment 131034
Anytime - I will take you to some remote but wonderful country :grinning:

And it will be a great experience sitting on the correct side of the vehicle and driving on the right (left) side of the road :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Karl