04 Land Rover Discovery NC

• HTML tutorial

chithead

Rank 0

Traveler I

That is awsome! Thank you so much. I definitely do feel timid appearing as the new guy asking where to go and all, but greatly appreciate sharing your suggestions and experiences.

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Good to hear the Richland rd run was fun. Did it about 2 months ago. Any problems on that first little ledge coming out of the creek? Hurricane is fun, easier than Richland. Do it after some rain to add some more excitement. Great looking rig.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Good to hear the Richland rd run was fun. Did it about 2 months ago. Any problems on that first little ledge coming out of the creek? Hurricane is fun, easier than Richland. Do it after some rain to add some more excitement. Great looking rig.
No problems on the gate keeper at Richland. Just kinda drove right up it soon as traction control began doing its thing. When I went last year it had been pouring rain so it made it a fun time. I think with out all the rain it would have been kinda boring. Windrock was still the most fun I’ve had. Myself and the group of friends I went with all agreed that was the best camping off-roading trip we had ever been on.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Ordered some new tires today! I have some 285/75/16 Cooper stt pros on the way. Also have some more stuff that I plan on ordering next week. I’ll try to keep the thread updated

Reactions: chithead

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

It's good to see someone buying something else instead of getting KO2's, I've got Toyo Open Country A/T's simply because they were the only only ones available in the size I wanted (235/60-17)

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

It's good to see someone buying something else instead of getting KO2's, I've got Toyo Open Country A/T's simply because they were the only only ones available in the size I wanted (235/60-17)
Yeah I wanted mud terrains since the vehicle isn’t a daily. Read tons of reviews and finally after a month of research decided on the coopers. I’ll try and get them mounted this weekend.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Put them on my ‘03 and love them. You’ll be beastly once they’re on!
Yeah it will be nice just to get rid of the Patagonia’s that are on there. I’m not sure why those tires have such high ratings, I have not have a good experience with them.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

IMG_3563.JPG
Finally had enough time, and the cooperation of the weather to get my front runner awning mounted. Had to get creative with the generic mounts that were provided and buy some addition hardware, but after an afternoon of bending, drilling, and measuring it is finally on there. I should have some more goodies on the way next week. I’m beyond ready to go take this thing off road.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Hey Man sweet Disco! I am in the Monroe area and I am also the Associate Ambassador for the Southeast Region. Coming this fall we will be restarting our monthly meet-ups and trips. We would love to have you there, are the very least to break the Jeep and Yota trend.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Hey Man sweet Disco! I am in the Monroe area and I am also the Associate Ambassador for the Southeast Region. Coming this fall we will be restarting our monthly meet-ups and trips. We would love to have you there, are the very least to break the Jeep and Yota trend.
I’d love to come out! Just let me know when and where

Motohead1

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nice Rover. Screen name threw me off. You a diesel tech? Im looking at tires now and those are on my possible list. Interested to see how you like them in the mud. With as much rain as we have had lately the mud will be here till march.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Nice Rover. Screen name threw me off. You a diesel tech? Im looking at tires now and those are on my possible list. Interested to see how you like them in the mud. With as much rain as we have had lately the mud will be here till march.
Yeah I guess you could say I’m a diesel tech. I work for caterpillar as a electric power generation field service technician. So I work on diesel, natural gas, land fill gas, gasoline, propane, dual fuel, 2 stoke, 4 stroke engines from .5 liter to honestly I have no idea how big a 3600 series engine is. But I know I fit in the crank case when the bearings had to be put in. I also work on the generator end as well. So yeah the screen name is a bit odd but I was out of ideas. As of yesterday the tires did fine in the rain. No noise as of yet up to 70mph. I’m sure that will change as time goes on and they wear more. I can’t wait to take them off road, just need some time off from work. With work I’m on call 24/7 and I generally work 60-80hrs every week. So here’s to hoping I get some time off to go test out the new gear! Also here is a picture of a 3616 that I worked on.

Last edited:

Motohead1

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Yea I was thinkin maby you had swapped a diesel into your rover. Wish we had gotten the oil burner rovers here in the US. Good to hear those tires are not to loud on pavement. Thats a factor for my next set.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Yea I was thinkin maby you had swapped a diesel into your rover. Wish we had gotten the oil burner rovers here in the US. Good to hear those tires are not to loud on pavement. Thats a factor for my next set.
I had thought about swapping in a Diesel engine, but in order for it to meet Nc emissions standards it would have been next to impossible unless I went with the new Cummins r2.8 and that would have been a lot of custom work and easy 20k with the transmission. So I ended up going with a new top hat flanged engine instead, knock on wood it has been running well.

Motohead1

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I had thought about swapping in a Diesel engine, but in order for it to meet Nc emissions standards it would have been next to impossible unless I went with the new Cummins r2.8 and that would have been a lot of custom work and easy 20k with the transmission. So I ended up going with a new top hat flanged engine instead, knock on wood it has been running well.
The 2.8 cummins does come with everything including CAN bus output but like you said thats a ton of money and really not in the realm of making sense unless you could do all the fab work yourself and it would still be in the $12K range. Being you have an 04 the best a cheapest and totally NC legal swap would be a BHW Tdi out of a 04-05 passat. Find a running car for $1000 and add another $5k in adapters, turbo, tuning and fab stuff. Still a ton of work but totally do-able and legal in NC. its been done. But all that said you have a newer block I see and running great. Get out and enjoy it.