Deb
Last Name
Lee (Ironhorse Overland)
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKU
Service Branch
Army Reserves
What a great idea. Think I would use Food Saver bags. They are safe to boil and they are heat sealed so you don't have to worry about the Zip "lock" unlocking. I'm eager to try freezing them as well. I use Food Saver bags for so many things. Even have a set of clothes sealed so no matter what, I will have a dry set of clothes to change into

Reactions: Matt Hixson

ADVchef

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cedar Hill, TX
Member #

The technique for cooking in water is called Sous Vide pronounced (Sou V) it's French. Not that I have cooked a lot this way especially at the campsite but I would recommend Sous Vide bags. It normally requires a vacuum seal but does not have to be. These are definitely the best option when you’re cooking foods that require temperatures above 158 °F —vegetables, lentils, beans, and certain braised meats. They’ll work great for any sous vide preparation. I don't reuse Sous Vide bags but they say you can.

FYI...At temperatures around 158 °F, the seams of ziplock-style bags can fail, exposing your food to the water in the bath.

David

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Ziplock Omelets

Homeguy had posted this up in a different thread, but in a search I could not find it again, so I am sharing this cool trick.

We do it at home, before the trip.

Each person picks out their ingredients (eggs, onions, cheese, meat, mushrooms, whatever) and puts them in a sandwich size sealable (Ziplock type) bag, and yes, the eggs are cracked and raw. Add condiments too if you want.

Store in ice chest.

When in camp, boil a pot of water and give the bags 12-15 minutes boiling/cooking time.

This-The little shortcuts that make camp life so enjoyable and not a chore. The simple things like cracking 2 dozen eggs into a juice container(pre-trip) for scrambled eggs on the trail..and not worring about bringing whole eggs and their propensity to get broken and damaged. Instead-just add milk and your favorite toppings. Having meals that take minimal prep time because of prior planning, rather than starting from scratch at camp.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

The technique for cooking in water is called Sous Vide pronounced (Sou V) it's French. Not that I have cooked a lot this way especially at the campsite but I would recommend Sous Vide bags. It normally requires a vacuum seal but does not have to be. These are definitely the best option when you’re cooking foods that require temperatures above 158 °F —vegetables, lentils, beans, and certain braised meats. They’ll work great for any sous vide preparation. I don't reuse Sous Vide bags but they say you can.

FYI...At temperatures around 158 °F, the seams of ziplock-style bags can fail, exposing your food to the water in the bath.

David

This looks like it would be a great kit for getting started with these camping omelettes
http://a.co/d/9APW7WG

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

It’s not just the bag giving up issue, it’s the chemicals that leach into your food as the plastic softens.
This is what we were told when the boys were in the Boy Scouts of America. We were told not to do this any more. We use freezer bags most of the time. But let me tell you the eggs were always lite & fluffy! It was one of our favorites!

Reactions: Cort