• HTML tutorial

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

Ziplock Omelets

Homeguy had posted this up in a different thread, but in a search I could not find it again, so I am sharing this cool trick.

We do it at home, before the trip.

Each person picks out their ingredients (eggs, onions, cheese, meat, mushrooms, whatever) and puts them in a sandwich size sealable (Ziplock type) bag, and yes, the eggs are cracked and raw. Add condiments too if you want.

Store in ice chest.

When in camp, boil a pot of water and give the bags 12-15 minutes boiling/cooking time.

Badaboom! Perfect omelet with little or no fuss and mess.

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

This is a great idea however ziplock bags are not safe to boil or microwave as their melt point is too low. Always use a boil specific bag like these:

https://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bag.html
well, so far we've not had one "give up" on us. Melting point of this ziploc type bag is 120 - 130 degrees C. And water in a camp pot boils about 100 -110 degrees C, from what I've been able to research. But again, we've not had one melt. Then again, if in doubt, go with your gut.

Reactions: RootedWanderers

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
well, so far we've not had one "give up" on us. Melting point of this ziploc type bag is 120 - 130 degrees C. And water in a camp pot boils about 100 -110 degrees C, from what I've been able to research. But again, we've not had one melt. Then again, if in doubt, go with your gut.
It’s not just the bag giving up issue, it’s the chemicals that leach into your food as the plastic softens.

Homeguy

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Calgary, AB
It’s something I wouldn’t do often. But it is an easy and mess free way of doing omelettes camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

I am going to look into these cook specific bags because yes, the wife and I are trying to cut back or cut out those unwanted chemicals that seem to be in everything these days. Thanks, @Cort for bringing this up and for the reference.

Reactions: Cort and Steve

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I am going to look into these cook specific bags because yes, the wife and I are trying to cut back or cut out those unwanted chemicals that seem to be in everything these days. Thanks, @Cort for bringing this up and for the reference.
Absolutely brother! I love your idea and I’m glad you didn’t take it as me crapping on it. I’m going to be using your idea with the cooking bags I listed(I already use them to make my own backpacking meals).

Coming from a guy who had chemo I tend to be on the careful side, there is no way I want to go through that again!

DRLExpress

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Estacada OR
Member #

Reactions: Road and Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Here’s the response I received from Packit Gourmet, they not only have great food but their customer service is just top notch.

Hi Cort,

Thank you for reaching out! The Cook-in-Bags are certified to accept boiling water in them, but they are not made to be submerged in boiling water for an extended period of time. We also sell Boilable Bags, which are made specifically for being submerged in boiling water and many of our customers use these for cooking eggs.

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if you have further questions!

All the best,

Loren

PACKIT GOURMET
Trailfood Beyond Your Wilderness Expectations

trailfood@packitgourmet.com
Packit Gourmet | Facebook | Instagram

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here’s the response I received from Packit Gourmet, they not only have great food but their customer service is just top notch.

Hi Cort,

Thank you for reaching out! The Cook-in-Bags are certified to accept boiling water in them, but they are not made to be submerged in boiling water for an extended period of time. We also sell Boilable Bags, which are made specifically for being submerged in boiling water and many of our customers use these for cooking eggs.

I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if you have further questions!

All the best,

Loren

PACKIT GOURMET
Trailfood Beyond Your Wilderness Expectations

trailfood@packitgourmet.com
Packit Gourmet | Facebook | Instagram
Wow - that was fast!

Good info.

Reactions: Cort

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
These are a fave of ours when we go. One thing I learned, make sure to squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible before it goes into the water. This keeps the contents in contact with the water as much as possible, and improves the speed and consistency of the cooking. For the bags themselves, Google "sous vide" for a bunch of options for appropriate bags. Bon Appetit!

Reactions: Stumblebunny

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Something else you could try.

- Mix your eggs and ingredients together.
- Put into a glass dish in the freezer.
- Once frozen put this egg brick into a vacuum seal bag and seal it with a Food Saver.
- Keep frozen or allow to thaw in your cooler.

Now you have an airtight, preserved, boilable bag that maintains contact with your hot water (no air pockets for eggs to remain raw).

Reactions: Firemom