Xterra Registry

• HTML tutorial

hn286409

Rank III

Influencer II

New owner of a 2007 X which is making the transition from daily driver to replacement off road vehicle now that I have discovered how much I like to drive it. First post on OB figured it was a great place to start since I'm new to the X as well. Glad to see some other guys with UT LPs on here as well. Hopefully see ya at GoneMoab unless work takes me away for the summer.

Fueltilities

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado
Member #

Does anyone know if XT Fabrication still makes bumpers for the 2nd gen Xterra? I stumbled across some old posts by him on other forums and found a pretty dated FB page. He has some of the cleanest applications I've seen for the 2nd gen, as opposed to many of the extremely bulky and heavy designs that are on the market today.

Link to the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/XT-Fabrication-514733841902886/

Doug M

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lake Orion, MI
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Mathias
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / 19K
Awesome pictures!!! YourX looks great. What’s your roof setup?
Thanks! The roof rack is from Cabela's, of all places. I got the one that has the option of adding a center extension. It fits perfectly on the 1.5 gen stock roof rack, width and length. I have a buddy who can do excellent welding (jet city spacecraft) so he's added the rear tabs for the backup lights, as well as gussets for the ARB awning and TREDS mounts.

Reactions: Darren01

RangeWarriorIncOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lynwood, CA
Member #

All the Xterra's on this post look great. I'm looking for a new rig to build and have been looking at 4runners and 1st gen Sequoias(more room). All your Xterra builds have me looking into them too. How's the reliability, from what I've seen locally there's lots available with low mileage and within my budget. Anything I should be looking for or looking out for?

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

All the Xterra's on this post look great. I'm looking for a new rig to build and have been looking at 4runners and 1st gen Sequoias(more room). All your Xterra builds have me looking into them too. How's the reliability, from what I've seen locally there's lots available with low mileage and within my budget. Anything I should be looking for or looking out for?
This is my 2nd vehicle with the Nissan 4 liter V6 engine and automatic transmission and no issues. Regular maintenance and full synthetic oil changes every 5000 miles have kept my rigs running perfectly. I use Mobil 1 and a Bosch D3323 Distance Plus High Performance filter.

Look for a 2012 or newer to avoid the radiator - transmission cross contamination issue from earlier models. The PRO4X model will also have a better rear differential with an e locker (M226). A manual transmission in the other models also comes with the M226. If you can find one with upgraded suspension you will be ahead of the curve. The rear leaf springs are a known weak point that bottom out easily with a load on board.

For more detailed information on the 2nd generation Xterra (2005+) visit http://www.thenewx.org/.

RangeWarriorIncOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lynwood, CA
Member #

This is my 2nd vehicle with the Nissan 4 liter V6 engine and automatic transmission and no issues. Regular maintenance and full synthetic oil changes every 5000 miles have kept my rigs running perfectly. I use Mobil 1 and a Bosch D3323 Distance Plus High Performance filter.

Look for a 2012 or newer to avoid the radiator - transmission cross contamination issue from earlier models. The PRO4X model will also have a better rear differential with an e locker (M226). A manual transmission in the other models also comes with the M226. If you can find one with upgraded suspension you will be ahead of the curve. The rear leaf springs are a known weak point that bottom out easily with a load on board.

For more detailed information on the 2nd generation Xterra (2005+) visit http://www.thenewx.org/.
Thanks for the information I will look into them a little more.

Darren01

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hope Mills, North Carolina
Member #

Do you have a year preference? The 1st gens (00-04) are awesome rigs with huge potential, but a slightly limited aftermarket. The vg33 engine is a bit underpowered but it’s reliable and can run forever. 1st gens, and Xterras in general for that matter, are very overlooked but are extremely capable and make great overland rigs.

Zerobird

Rank IV

Advocate II

I thought SMOD was limited to 2005-2009...? I've got a 2011S Auto and I didn't think I needed the bypass. I've searched, but now I can't find anything definitive.
You are correct. I ran my 08 auto trans with the original radiator till 100k before I swapped it out for an aftermarket one for a lil piece of mind. When I was a Technician for Nissan, most of the SMOD vehicles were 05-07. Most people suggest 09+ since that is when the Xterra got the face-lift so it's easier to identify.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using OB Talk mobile app

hn286409

Rank III

Influencer II

Any of you xterra guys using air bags in the rear? Plenty of threads on this out there on other sites but figured id ask. I'm about to add some to help support all the junk I carry around between jobs

RangeWarriorIncOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lynwood, CA
Member #

Do you have a year preference? The 1st gens (00-04) are awesome rigs with huge potential, but a slightly limited aftermarket. The vg33 engine is a bit underpowered but it’s reliable and can run forever. 1st gens, and Xterras in general for that matter, are very overlooked but are extremely capable and make great overland rigs.
I was looking at the 05-07, since they're a little bigger and there's a few posted within my budget locally. My concern would be what it there's already cross contamination? What are some tell-tell signs besides looking at the fluids.

Zerobird

Rank IV

Advocate II

I was looking at the 05-07, since they're a little bigger and there's a few posted within my budget locally. My concern would be what it there's already cross contamination? What are some tell-tell signs besides looking at the fluids.
Look at the under side of the radiator caps, it will look like yogurt stuck to the underside of em. You'll know if it's contaminated, they drive like shit, trans will shift erratically or won't shift at all, you'll have warning lights in dash. Can look and see if the radiator has been bypassed, alot of people were doing that since it was a relatively cheap option. Ya just run the tranny cooler lines to the external cooler only and back to the trans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using OB Talk mobile app