Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

As with everyone, there is always a fight for space and weight. I finally finished my drop down and Skottle suport rack.
I also went from a 5lb. (1.2 gal) tank to a 11lb. (2.7gal) tank to run my Fireplace, skottle and Heater for my shiftpod tent.
Also did a 5lb. bottle test with my fireplace thats on my instagram (Ruff_me_and_a_jeep_cherokee). 6 hours at full approx. Details there.
The kitchen utinsels lift out as a unit and I store my winter gear there on solo trips.

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
As with everyone, there is always a fight for space and weight. I finally finished my drop down and Skottle suport rack.
I also went from a 5lb. (1.2 gal) tank to a 11lb. (2.7gal) tank to run my Fireplace, skottle and Heater for my shiftpod tent.
Also did a 5lb. bottle test with my fireplace thats on my instagram (Ruff_me_and_a_jeep_cherokee). 6 hours at full approx. Details there.
The kitchen utinsels lift out as a unit and I store my winter gear there on solo trips.
wow...very organized! that is a SWEET set up!
i recently went to the 11# LP tank as well...love it

Last edited:
Reactions: Things

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Does your tank have any issues leaking out liquid propane when it vents? Probably not as much a safety issue on the roof as much as it is wasting propane but I've always been told to store them vertical so it just vents gas.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Does your tank have any issues leaking out liquid propane when it vents? Probably not as much a safety issue on the roof as much as it is wasting propane but I've always been told to store them vertical so it just vents gas.
The biggest issue with not mounting vertical is the pickup in the tank. The vent only comes into play when filling the tank and then only if they fill it that way, not using weight.

Reactions: Things

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Storage on the side has never been a problem, it is taken off and used vertical. The 5lb has been down Black Bear Pass and all over Colorado and Az. etc, never a problem.
There are RV 20lb. tanks that are made to use on the side or "lazy" as their pickups are designed for that.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

The biggest issue with not mounting vertical is the pickup in the tank. The vent only comes into play when filling the tank and then only if they fill it that way, not using weight.
The vent definitely comes into play in AZ with the tank in the sun. Not an issue as the volume gets down but for the first few days, it will definitely blow off pressure even when filled properly by weight. I think most tanks are only supposed to be like 80% filled or something now though so it might not be an issue anymore.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Excellent use of space. I'm taking notes for Renegade build ideas.

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

There is always a percent of volume left as propane burns as a gas/vapor. They unscrew the overflow when filling and shut it when it reaches that level ensuring that there is enough room for the vapor to form. The "pick up" is at the top unless you have one designed to lay flat as some are in Lance campers running dual tanks with automatic switch overs.

My tank has sat in the sun all summer and NEVER had a issue.

Reactions: old_man