Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I appreciate the case as it has allowed me to simply throw them in the back of other folks rigs when I was a passenger or borrowing a vehicle. That said, if you get them sloppy you are probably going to want to bring them home on the outside as it’s tough to get them back in that case without getting mud all over it. Also, the case is simple nylon which leaks & probably won’t hold up all that well to washing. Still, I’m glad to have that option & all for $63.

I have also simply strapped them to my load bars or to a rack, either on it or in it, using cam straps. I see people mount them crosswise but I have always lined them up with the axis of the truck to reduce wind resistance. Since I live in the continual wet & my truck sits outside, I don’t ever leave any gear mounted long term outside. Consequently, I haven’t bothered with a fancy mounting system. When I lived in AZ, I used to mount my HiLift to my load bars simply using Yakima load bar plastic mounts but with longer screws that could come up through the HiLift bar holes. I imagine the same could be used for these.

Mrgalantguy

Rank I

Traveler I

Any updates for those that just purchased these? I am looking to buy a pair of traction pads but Maxxtrax is pricey for something I don't see myself using a lot since my overland build isn't going to be aggressive like some of those that do more hardcore stuff. I just want something that is will get me out of a bind and the reward out runs the price which these X-Bull traction pads seem to fit the bill after reading several reviews here and on the internet.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Any updates for those that just purchased these?
At ExpoWest I was camped next to Waypoint Overland. He had 2 pair. He said he used them extensively. He originally had MaxTracks but broke them over time. He said he’d broken these too. Other than the MaxTracks stacking more compactly & their price, he couldn’t tell any real functional difference between the two. He’s stopped buying MaxTracks & now uses these. BTW, I bought the ”Wild Boar Off-road” brand as well as a couple sets of X-Bulls-they are literally identical except for the color of the bag. I’ve bought 3 pair & paid $64-79.

Last edited:

pizzle007

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I just bought a set and used one to stabilize my factory jack since I had to replace a tire on my Range Rover Sport. We were on really deep sand on the beach. No damage on the boards and it worked like I expected.

Reactions: RainGoat

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
My experience is, and I don't intend this to sound elitist, but these are clearly Off-shore-made knock-offs of the TRED 1100's (as we already know) and if you want them for decoration, that is an awesome price.

But if your life, or a quick, safe vehicle recovery depends on them, pay once for the real deal and use them hard as they were intended.

I have used my TRED's and other's MaxTrax in recovery situations, it would have been a bad scene had they cracked or broken, let alone embarrassing that someone bought the wrong thing.

TRED's have a lifetime mfg warranty (no affiliation here), not just a one-year warranty.

Thanks for posting this thread up, it's good to know the alternatives and the competition, but there's no replacement for quality.
I hear this mentality a lot in the off road community. “Buy once, cry once” is the mantra. If I were to apply this to every purchase I would have nothing. While many out there can afford to justify this mentality, I can not. Fortunately, theses are not life and death, so it comes down to: are you better off having a cheap version, or none. After reading through this I’m glad to see they’re holding up. I have contemplated these for more than a year without finding any real world reviews.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I hear this mentality a lot in the off road community. “Buy once, cry once” is the mantra. If I were to apply this to every purchase I would have nothing. While many out there can afford to justify this mentality, I can not. Fortunately, theses are not life and death, so it comes down to: are you better off having a cheap version, or none. After reading through this I’m glad to see they’re holding up. I have contemplated these for more than a year without finding any real world reviews.
Agreed. I love the “buy once cry once” philosophy. It’s super fun. It means you bite the bullet, and end up with the fancy piece of gear everybody else talks about. However. I’m finding I often can’t afford anything else after that.

I know that I am NOT a full time off-roader/Overlander. I’m a weekend warrior getting out once or twice a month at best. In a state where the off pavement choices are PINS, Big Bend, or one of a few off-road parks. Which means “off-road” is often just dirt roads for us. All of this means I don’t need the best out there, a budget option practically does work for me.

I also ordered 2 sets of the xbull traction pads. Super excited about the money saved too!

Reactions: sabjku and RainGoat

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

I have 4 of them and they have worked on my 8k lbs suburban with no issue.

I believe in a hybrid approach to buying things. I bought a warn m15 for a winch, I buy OEM or better aftermarket for mechanical parts but for a rarely used item that I can, in most circumstances, find a workaround for, I'll buy cheap. With time, effort, and a shovel I could generally get by . For those that I couldn't I have other recovery tool options.

Reactions: Baipin

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It’s also worthwhile to point out that there is no evidence MaxTracks, or TREDs actually, are a superior product (other than stacking height with MaxTracks & probably handle comfort). People who don’t like the knock offs generally haven’t even tried them. The few people I’ve run across who have used both have generally gone for the knock offs unless they need the thinner stackability or get the MaxTracks as a sponsor, write off or subsidy. I would love to see a neutral 3rd party evaluation. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to recognize when you aren’t really getting value in a top of the line item. Besides, the competition pushes improvements & value for us all.

RigidYota

Rank 0

Contributor I

Some of you have now had these for a good year or more, how do they last sitting on the rig for all that time, essentially im asking:

How long have you had it outside on the rig exposed to the elements?
Do they still seem solid and usable?

I'm about to pull the trigger on these, I don't do anything too hardcore so these should fit the bill. For the price id hope they last the elements as id have them sitting in the sun most of the summer on the rig as im out every weekend hiking or camping.

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

No discoloration or obvious weathering, used them a couple times and they still look fully functional. I do us
303 aerospace uv protectant on everything exposed to the sun. (except for the solar panel) who knows if that helps or if they would be fine regardless.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I don't store mine on the rig. They spend most of the time in the garage.

They are pretty stout though. We used them with several rigs last year and there's some wear on them but nothing unexpected. I'm not sure they were helpful in the situation we were in but they held up to the abuse ok. I don't feel bad for spending the $100 on them.

Reactions: RainGoat

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I've had 'em on the rig for about a year and a half, mounted on my rack in direct sun (brutal Arizona sun, too). There's not really any noticeable discoloration and they've held up great. I've used them more than a few times, I've even bridged with them. We also use them for leveling the rig and/or trailer quite often.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Do they ship to Canada? Having trouble finding a spot that ships up here.
I don't know where in Canada you are, but I shipped my Amazon-purchased X-BULL to one of those package holding places just south of the border in Detroit (I used SCC). I think the eBay-listed ones will ship to Canada though. Regardless, great product! I've used them with my Forester; twice for some help getting out of a gully, once for staying comfortably level while having to drive sideways across a slope.

Reactions: RigidYota