Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

My worst time being stuck had absolutely nothing to do with overlanding.

My girlfriend at the time lived on a state highway in west-central Ohio. Her family's house was quite a ways back from the highway, and had a looping gravel driveway to get there with some off-camber curves.One winter night, instead of driving my VW Scirocco, I was driving my mother's 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. All these years later, I don't remember why. Maybe we were on a fancy dinner date, or maybe the VW was broken.

I was there until well after 1 AM, and while we were inside, it had snowed about 8" on top of the several inches of snow we already had, and out in the country like that, it drifted a lot. I'm sure you can see where this is headed...

So there I was, very late at night, off the side of the driveway, in over a foot of snow, spinning the wheels trying to gain some traction in a car with no weight on the rear end and wide, useless tires. I'd try to dig some out with my gloved hands, and go at it again. Eventually, my girlfriends' father and brother, who had already gone to bed, came out to help push me out. Very embarrassing, and certainly endeared me to her family.

That's her in the avatar above. :hearteyes:

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

My girlfriend at the time lived on a state highway in west-central Ohio. Her family's house was quite a ways back from the highway, and had a looping gravel driveway to get there with some off-camber curves.One winter night, instead of driving my VW Scirocco, I was driving my mother's 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. All these years later, I don't remember why. Maybe we were on a fancy dinner date, or maybe the VW was broken.

I was there until well after 1 AM, and while we were inside, it had snowed about 8" on top of the several inches of snow we already had, and out in the country like that, it drifted a lot. I'm sure you can see where this is headed...

So there I was, very late at night, off the side of the driveway, in over a foot of snow, spinning the wheels trying to gain some traction in a car with no weight on the rear end and wide, useless tires. I'd try to dig some out with my gloved hands, and go at it again. Eventually, my girlfriends' father and brother, who had already gone to bed, came out to help push me out. Very embarrassing, and certainly endeared me to her family.

That's her in the avatar above. :hearteyes:
And the rest they say, is history lol.

Reactions: Steve

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

That's her in the avatar above. [emoji813]eyes:
Man thats a great story! Glad you made it work out all these years

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

You know if you haven't been stuck you haven't been trying hard enough. Will have to think about my worst.

...I was driving my mother's 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.
I had a '70 Supreme convertible in high school and had a lot of fun in the snow with that car. :sunglasses:

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Got stuck on my wife and I's anniversary 2 years ago coming back from Gatlinburg TN. I told her i wanted to take my truck in case it got bad, she insisted that her car would be fine and she'd rather take it because it is more comfortable....her car is a supercharged V8 Olds Aurora. Needless to say, it is not great in the snow. On the drive home it took us 16hrs to drive what normally would be a 7hr drive. So we got tired and took a pitstop and a friends house in Lawrenceburg, IN. That was a mistake. We came back out from his house to find 6 more inches of snow had fallen. To leave his house we had to drive up an incline to leave. We got stuck in her car and it required the use of one of these to get out!

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Got stuck on my wife and I's anniversary 2 years ago coming back from Gatlinburg TN. I told her i wanted to take my truck in case it got bad, she insisted that her car would be fine and she'd rather take it because it is more comfortable....her car is a supercharged V8 Olds Aurora. Needless to say, it is not great in the snow. On the drive home it took us 16hrs to drive what normally would be a 7hr drive. So we got tired and took a pitstop and a friends house in Lawrenceburg, IN. That was a mistake. We came back out from his house to find 6 more inches of snow had fallen. To leave his house we had to drive up an incline to leave. We got stuck in her car and it required the use of one of these to get out!
Those are fun!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

You burnt the car? That's over the top man. :smilingimp:

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I've never had a really bad "stuck". I managed to slip into the gutter in an old RWD Volvo when someone ran a stop sign - I had to slam the brakes to avoid a crash, and being from the 70s, the car locked up and went sideways. I borrowed a snow shovel from the house on the corner and dug myself out in about 10 minutes. No biggie.

I was driving an FJ-80 down a canyon in deep snow when I got my tires a little off the pavement (couldn't see the road and the markers were well off on the shoulder). The uneven traction caused a slow-motion spin that ended with me nose-first in a snow bank 90-degrees to the direction of travel. The front wheels were in bottomless powder and the rear end couldn't get enough grip to pull me back up. Digging was pointless, so I hunkered down and waited for rescue. Eventually a state work truck came by and we used my recovery strap to get me back on the road. The problem was that now his front end was off the road on the other side. Fortunately, we were still connected with the strap, so I was able to change my angle and pull him back on the road. Mutual rescue - double points awarded.

I've never been stuck in the XTerra, partially because I'm so used to driving with open or limited-slip diffs that I am a bit more conservative. A locker is a like a magical "ohshitohshitohshit-*click* ... Nevermind, it's all good" button.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I high centered a Hmmwv at NTC and it required everyone standing on hood to tip it over the edge and get traction.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I was stationed there for 5 years, lol. Strangest duty station ever.

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

Probably the worst was when it took 2 yotas to pull my hi-centered 3/4 ton chevy sideways enough for me to get traction. After rethinking I had to unload 1/2 a load of firewood to stuff under the tires of the same truck and the farmer (at least 80 YO) tugged on me with his JD tractor to get me out.

The first time getting stuck was when my dad had to pull my motorcycle out of the mud. The mud was so thick the bike would stay upright with no kickstand. I did this twice.

The last time I was stuck would have been my f800 ford, after delivering a tractor, the LADY had to pull me out with the tractor I had just unloaded.

Between the first and last at least 35 years of ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, experience has taught me it will happen again.

I have been stuck in mud, snow, and mid air. I have also been in 2 ice storms where I had the only driveable rig to check on and help people in the areas I lived at the time.