Wiring CB radio to cigarette lighter adapter? (help)

• HTML tutorial

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

Hi guys! I am pretty new to setting up my own radios and was wondering how I would set up the CB wires to the cigarette lighter adapter pictured.

Do I just crimp it? Will I need more pieces? I am pretty new to all this so I apologize in advance if it's something really simple!
2017-05-07 17.26.20.jpg 2017-05-07 17.26.27.jpg

Reactions: Luis Merlo

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Technically, yes you could crimp the terminal ends on the wire. But to do it the proper way, what you need are 2 male bullet connectors and crimp them onto the bare wires of the CB. Then you can just plug them into the cig adapter and wrap each wire with electrical tape around the connector. If you crimp the wire on, and have to remove it later, you'll have to cut the connectors off.

Reactions: XPlore

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
That will work, but you would be well served to look into Power Poles and using them for the connections. In the future they could prove to be very useful for other means of communication.

It's also a good practice to use a fuse in both power leads. If you have a circuit loose a ground path through the body and decide to use your antenna coax back through the radio, your finals will be cooked without the fuse in the ground lead of the radio.

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

Technically, yes you could crimp the terminal ends on the wire. But to do it the proper way, what you need are 2 male bullet connectors and crimp them onto the bare wires of the CB. Then you can just plug them into the cig adapter and wrap each wire with electrical tape around the connector. If you crimp the wire on, and have to remove it later, you'll have to cut the connectors off.
Thanks I will try that!

XPlore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lomita
Member #

That will work, but you would be well served to look into Power Poles and using them for the connections. In the future they could prove to be very useful for other means of communication.

It's also a good practice to use a fuse in both power leads. If you have a circuit loose a ground path through the body and decide to use your antenna coax back through the radio, your finals will be cooked without the fuse in the ground lead of the radio.
Power Poles? The cig adapter currently has a fuse, and I will be wiring to a CB antenna should I be worried about anything?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Power poles look like little bullets that crimp onto the wire making them the male end to the plug or female ends that you have already installed on the cig lighter side. You don't need no extra fuse installed for a CB if you have a 5amp fuse in the cig lighter plug.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
These are power poles:

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpole-connectors-30amp-unassembled

As I explained in my original post, since your antenna is grounded to the body, if the area the antenna was in was suddenly presenting a high resistance path to ground then current in that area would travel down your coax into the radio and attempt to go through the radio's finals to the negative side of your power corrector. If that is a large current, it will cook your finals and ruin the radio. Its good to have a equal size fuse in the neutral leg of a radio power lead, which is why many radios cone with fuses in both leads from the factory.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
I think you'd have less noise by running directly to the battery with a fuse.... My opinion only

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app
I have installed many CBs and linears. As 94Cruiser has said, you would be best served by running straight to the battery to prevent as much interference as possible. Don't run you wires close to ignition coils, alternator wires, or near any computer wires. The ignition coils and the alternator output create enough current that it can create RFI in your system/noise. You don't run your antenna wire by computers for the same reason. It can cause runability issues, engine lights, etc. in your vehicle. This isn't 100% but there is a high percentage. Most computer vehicles run shielded wire but it can still happen.

Sent from my LGLS996 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: XPlore and TerryD