Traveler III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
French
Member #

Hey guys-
Looking for advice on a Whynter fridge. I am military and AAFES carries this brand, but don't know much about them. I would love ARB but can't afford that right now.
Anybody have any comments on the Whynter? The 2 they have are the 45Q and the 34Q.
Thanks!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey guys-
Looking for advice on a Whynter fridge. I am military and AAFES carries this brand, but don't know much about them. I would love ARB but can't afford that right now.
Anybody have any comments on the Whynter? The 2 they have are the 45Q and the 34Q.
Thanks!
They also have a 65Q. I got one last summer and have been using it 24/7 ever since. @PNW EXPLR also runs one. You could probably get a better deal from Amazon on the fridge than you can at the PX.

Reactions: Downs and PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Like @M Rose mentioned, I have been running the same 65 for about 5 years now. It pretty much lives full time in the back seat (60% seat delete). I have had no issues. I will say the the 65 is great for those extra long trips or if there are several mouths to feed,....or if you really love cold beer! However, I would actually like to have a 45 for when it is just me on a weekend trip. The advantages would be a smaller footprint, less unused space inside which would actually make it more energy consumption friendly.

Greg French

Rank III

Traveler III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
French
Member #

As long as we are asking, what are thoughts on fridge/freezer vs all refrigerator? And is bigger better? 65 vs 45. Thanks, these seem much better than my cooler with ice.
[/QUOTE]
I am currently using the Coleman electric cooler which is WAY better than a cooler with ice. No sogginess and the ice doesn't take up room.

I highly recommend this as a step up from a cooler with ice. But they only cool to like 30-40 degrees below the outside temp and have a continuous draw on the battery. These are great for short trips, but fridges are the way to go if you are planning a longer trip or want to keep your food cold and not worry about it draining your battery while you are sleeping.

Jdsint

Rank V

Creator III

90 New Jersey Highway 94, Vernon, New Jersey 07462, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
S
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2ZBE
As long as we are asking, what are thoughts on fridge/freezer vs all refrigerator? And is bigger better? 65 vs 45. Thanks, these seem much better than my cooler with ice.
I am currently using the Coleman electric cooler which is WAY better than a cooler with ice. No sogginess and the ice doesn't take up room.

I highly recommend this as a step up from a cooler with ice. But they only cool to like 30-40 degrees below the outside temp and have a continuous draw on the battery. These are great for short trips, but fridges are the way to go if you are planning a longer trip or want to keep your food cold and not worry about it draining your battery while you are sleeping.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much Greg! I didn't know about "electric coolers". I had been looking at the fridge/ freezers. The coolers are way cheaper and that makes it an easy way to get started. I'll buy a 45qt electric cooler this week. (Although I see where this is going and see the fridge in my future lol)

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The Colman Cooler is no where as hood or even close to being the same as the Whynter Fridge/Freezer. I ran a Colman for several years and was greatly disappointed with its performance when temps reached above 80 degrees ambient temperatures… I couldn’t keep the fridge below 40 degrees during the day.

With my Whynter I set the temperature at -8 degrees for a couple of days before leaving on a long trip filled with my frozen goods. The night before I leave I set the temperature to 35 degrees and add my refrigerator items (milk, eggs, coffee creamer, ect). During my adventures, the fridge never gets above 40 no matter how hot it stays during the day and night.

By the way, I don’t run the fridge at night. Just during the day.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've had my Wynter 45 qt for......5 years? Ish. It spent most of its life mounted in my M-100 trailer and now its living in my new trailer. Both trailer see their share of abuse and I haven't managed to break the fridge yet. BTW, the carry handles don't count. Replace them with metal handles from home depo or something. I use them to tie it down on the slider rack, the stock ones are plastic (Like most of the others out there).

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I've had my Wynter 45 qt for......5 years? Ish. It spent most of its life mounted in my M-100 trailer and now its living in my new trailer. Both trailer see their share of abuse and I haven't managed to break the fridge yet. BTW, the carry handles don't count. Replace them with metal handles from home depo or something. I use them to tie it down on the slider rack, the stock ones are plastic (Like most of the others out there).
The new models have upgraded handles… @PNW EXPLR and I compared our two side by side, and the only difference from his 5 year old model and mine was the latches and the handles… mine seamed to be heavier duty.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
The new models have upgraded handles… @PNW EXPLR and I compared our two side by side, and the only difference from his 5 year old model and mine was the latches and the handles… mine seamed to be heavier duty.
I would agree.

Reactions: M Rose

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
[/QUOTE]
I would LOVE to have a freezer side……but I like my whiskey on the rocks…just saying.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
That's good to know. If you search the internet, you find the handles being the only real flaw with portable fridge's.

HYRYSC

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0YIN
Not to revive an old thread but I am certainly happy to hear about the great reviews on the Whynter fridges. I recently purchased one and waiting for it to arrive late next week.

So question. How is the noise level and the energy consumption on the 45?

Greg French

Rank III

Traveler III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
French
Member #

It is whisper quiet and doesn't use much electricity. I have a Rocpals electric generator and had it plugged in for 16 hours in the back of a pu truck this Summer.. Still had battery left when I arrived.

Also- as the OP I have to say I am extremely happy with this purchase. I have used this thing more than I ever imagined I would and it works better than I imagined it would.

Reactions: HYRYSC

HYRYSC

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Southwest Missouri
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Conn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0YIN
It is whisper quiet and doesn't use much electricity. I have a Rocpals electric generator and had it plugged in for 16 hours in the back of a pu truck this Summer.. Still had battery left when I arrived.

Also- as the OP I have to say I am extremely happy with this purchase. I have used this thing more than I ever imagined I would and it works better than I imagined it would.
Great to hear and thanks for the quick response! Definitely looking forward to checking this off my growing "to do list".

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Not to revive an old thread but I am certainly happy to hear about the great reviews on the Whynter fridges. I recently purchased one and waiting for it to arrive late next week.

So question. How is the noise level and the energy consumption on the 45?
I have the larger 65l, no noise… a 220aH battery lasts me 24 hours set at -8 degrees on regulat power… I can get 72 hours at 45 degrees in economy setting.

Reactions: HYRYSC