Launch Member

Advocate III

Shropshire, UK
First Name
Daryll
Last Name
Woodcock
Member #

Hey nice Disco, I'm a Defender owner myself. where in blighty are you? I'm way down in sunny plymouth. welcome to OB
Ey up Kieth,

Thanks for the welcome i'm currently in Shropshire but originally from Yorkshire, I get about abit been in the forces, I was posted down in Dorset last year so not too far from you. Nice part of the country down there.

Looking forward to getting involved with the community once this Covid-19 is all blown over!

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Ey up Kieth,

Thanks for the welcome i'm currently in Shropshire but originally from Yorkshire, I get about abit been in the forces, I was posted down in Dorset last year so not too far from you. Nice part of the country down there.

Looking forward to getting involved with the community once this Covid-19 is all blown over!
ex forces eh? Which one? I'm ex Navy. @Polaris Overland Dave our illustrious leader is also ex Navy but he is somewhat older than myself. some might call it "more experienced"

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

23 is long enough! Haha I might end up doing my full 22!
So how are you geting on with the Disco? My dad has one. Its certainly more luxurious than the Defender. One of the new Defenders drove passed me when i was coming back from a family funeral recently. Id loke the chance to test drive one. I certainly wont be buying one due to cost

WoodcockFamilyOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Shropshire, UK
First Name
Daryll
Last Name
Woodcock
Member #

So how are you geting on with the Disco? My dad has one. Its certainly more luxurious than the Defender. One of the new Defenders drove passed me when i was coming back from a family funeral recently. Id loke the chance to test drive one. I certainly wont be buying one due to cost
It’s been alright, I’ve had to do a few jobs, as well as go through all the servicing just for my peace of mind so I know everything is done (it’s like new now haha). I love the comfort of it and to me it’s luxurious and a nice place to be and great for the family (4 of us and a big daft wolf dog) big square boot.

funnily enough where I used to work in Bovington is where Land Rover used to come and do some testing on the Tank tracks so I saw the new Defender in all it Zebra camouflage and they let me have a sneak peak at it. I think it’s very similar to a Discovery 3/4 with it’s air suspension and just the general shape of the thing.

I’d love one but like you say the cost! I still can’t believe how much an old defender is! Haha I love them but every time I get the itch for one I get in an Army Land Rover and wonder why anyone would live with one! But saying that I still love them, there is just something about them Defenders.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

It’s been alright, I’ve had to do a few jobs, as well as go through all the servicing just for my peace of mind so I know everything is done (it’s like new now haha). I love the comfort of it and to me it’s luxurious and a nice place to be and great for the family (4 of us and a big daft wolf dog) big square boot.

funnily enough where I used to work in Bovington is where Land Rover used to come and do some testing on the Tank tracks so I saw the new Defender in all it Zebra camouflage and they let me have a sneak peak at it. I think it’s very similar to a Discovery 3/4 with it’s air suspension and just the general shape of the thing.

I’d love one but like you say the cost! I still can’t believe how much an old defender is! Haha I love them but every time I get the itch for one I get in an Army Land Rover and wonder why anyone would live with one! But saying that I still love them, there is just something about them Defenders.
Ive had a Freelander and a Disco 2 but this Defenser is by far my favourite. Ive spent a fair amount on it and have an ever increasing wish list too

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Oh yes the wish list is never ending! Just seen yours it looks well looked after!
I love mine to bits. My only regret was not getting a 110. In hindsight i should have gone for the110 hardtop. Its going to be a few weeks until i drive it next as i managed to break 3 ribs yesterday after challenging gravity to a test at the top of a ladder. You might have guessed gravity won

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I love mine to bits. My only regret was not getting a 110. In hindsight i should have gone for the110 hardtop. Its going to be a few weeks until i drive it next as i managed to break 3 ribs yesterday after challenging gravity to a test at the top of a ladder. You might have guessed gravity won
I broke a couple of ribs a few years ago and punctured my left lung which collapsed from a car accident. (Doctors re-inflated it somehow) It will be awhile before you have complete comfort from your injury so take it easy and let it heal. I have days that I can still feel pain in the area of my injury.
Thank God your fall wasn't more serious than it is.

WoodcockFamilyOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Shropshire, UK
First Name
Daryll
Last Name
Woodcock
Member #

Bloody Nora! Be careful especially times such as these!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I even managed to almost rip off one of my toes during the incident. They had to sew and glue it back on at the hospital yesterday
Oh s - - - , that hurts. I can feel the throbbing pain from here. I hope you have some crutches, you will need them I'm sure. Did that happen on Friday the 13th ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nah it happened yesterday. I cant use crutches as the toe in question is the same side as the broken ribs
Then your like me. I cant walk because of needing knee replacement so they gave me a cane to use on my right side. It helps to keep weight off the left knee. I'm slow but I can at least take 50% of the pain away when I walk.

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Neat thread! I really enjoyed looking through all of the old school Defenders. That's a project I'm going to take on when I retire...

I've got an LR5. I originally bought it for a new daily driver because driving 20+ miles, including on the interstate, was getting old in my '99 soft top TJ. It didn't take long before I found myself wanting to use it for all of its capability. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of gear out there for it. Almost four years in the new body style, it's really just a couple of vendors offering stuff for it. I don't know if it's because it's such a major departure from the previous versions or what, but I sure wish I could find more stuff like available for the LR3/4 or 4Runners.

Regardless, it's an awesome car and extremely capable! Here she is.IMG_2021.jpegIMG_2023.jpeg

Last edited:

SayNoToDisco

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walla Walla, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Gant
Member #

Neat thread! I really enjoyed looking through all of the old school Defenders. That's a project I'm going to take on when I retire...

I've got an LR5. I originally bought it for a new daily driver because driving 20+ miles, including on the interstate, was getting old in my '99 soft top TJ. It didn't take long before I found myself wanting to use it for all of its capability. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of gear out there for it. Almost four years in the new body style, it's really just a couple of vendors offering stuff for it. I don't know if it's because it's such a major departure from the previous versions or what, but I sure wish I could find more stuff like available for the LR3/4 or 4Runners.

Regardless, it's an awesome car and extremely capable! Here she is.
Very nice man, wish I saw more of ours out there. I actually came at mine the other direction, bought it to replace my Jeep as the “fun car” and now use it as my daily driver as well but probably drive about a tenth of your commute.

awesome ride and extremely capable, ive put mine in some dicey situations and always(almost haha) come away impressed.

Reactions: BchBum11511