Who else brings a grill?-1 cooking device to rule them all!

• HTML tutorial

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
So we recently did 4 nights on the Georgia Traverse. This was our maiden voyage so to speak in overlanding. I have camped all my life, but never really done the whole overlanding/vehicle camping thing. To simplify our life i bought a weber Q grill as A) I can cook anything on a grill, and B) no pots/pans to clean was a major bonus for the wife. I find that if you plan things right, you can cook anything from meat to vegetables nd beyond on the grill.

image - Copy (4).jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

I wouldn't want to camp without this thing now...Everything from chicken, to steak, to pork, to toast for the 6 month old...Might be a little larger, but sooooo worth bringing.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I use a home made grill... it works off of propane, wood, or briquettes. For grilling I usually use wood or briquettes and use the propane for heating water

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

Still rocking the coleman bbq/ burner dual stove....its ok....it has the small green tank connection but I got a 12 foot conversion hose to use a 20lb tank so works great on full blast...heats water in no time...

I do however want to get into a skottle

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Still rocking the coleman bbq/ burner dual stove....its ok....it has the small green tank connection but I got a 12 foot conversion hose to use a 20lb tank so works great on full blast...heats water in no time...

I kept looking into the skottles, but they just don't seem as versatile. I couldn't see forgoing the weber for a skottle at this point at least.

Reactions: Sinocai

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
I have a charcoal smokey joe I seldom use anymore, a couple coleman propane stoves I use frequently, a cooking grate I use frequently, and plans to incorporate one of the coleman/camp chef propane oven/stoves (which is large, but possibly the ultimate in camp kitchen convenience) into my next portable kitchen. yes a frill is a nice thing to have at the camp site, but typically if I am going to be someplace I can not cook on open flame, the propane stoves get packed. I am also going to be making a discotta soon which will become a part of my standard camp kitchen... I do like the concept.

I am afraid there is not a true one gadget that is best for all things... it just comes down to your personal preferences for how you life to cook Personally I will cook over an open fire whenever I can, but I am going to be building my "chuckwagon" around a propane camp stove/oven

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

I kept looking into the skottles, but they just don't seem as versatile. I couldn't see forgoing the weber for a skottle at this point at least.
Ya I hear ya. Plus where would ya keep a gian wok

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

I have a charcoal smokey joe I seldom use anymore, a couple coleman propane stoves I use frequently, a cooking grate I use frequently, and plans to incorporate one of the coleman/camp chef propane oven/stoves (which is large, but possibly the ultimate in camp kitchen convenience) into my next portable kitchen. yes a frill is a nice thing to have at the camp site, but typically if I am going to be someplace I can not cook on open flame, the propane stoves get packed. I am also going to be making a discotta soon which will become a part of my standard camp kitchen... I do like the concept.

I am afraid there is not a true one gadget that is best for all things... it just comes down to your personal preferences for how you life to cook Personally I will cook over an open fire whenever I can, but I am going to be building my "chuckwagon" around a propane camp stove/oven
Chuck wagon eh...whats the main dish?

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
when used properly (and with the right accessories), the discotta (scottle) can be very versatile. it can serve as a frying pan/skillet, a wok, an oven, a griddle... it can even be used like a grill but IMO is not as good at such as a proper grill, or even a cast iron grill pan. I can not think of many things that can not be cooked on a discotta EXCEPT items that need a pot. it is not well suited to boiling pasta, or or say making a batch of chile. so no... it is not a complete all in one cooker. in this respect a grill or propane cooktop are more versitile, but require much more in the way of pots and pans. so the discotta can also be more compact than a "traditional" cooking system...

in the end every cook system has pros and cons. we pick the cook system we want around our choice of food and environment, or we pick our food around our choice of cook system, but we do not truly get to have our cake and eat it too.

Reactions: Old Tanker

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
in various groups I have been in, I have been a camp cook for over 30 years now (boyscout style cooking in the 80s, and cooking for encampments of anywhere from 4 to 50 people since... the choice of menu depends on how much gear I can carry, the environment being camped in, and general preferences of the group :) for right now, I am rebuilding my gear, and since building my truck will be eating most of my budget, I can not build the trailer I have designed so the chuck wagon will consist of several chuck boxes in the bed of the truck so I can slide them out, slip the legs in them, and set up a camp kitchen in a screen tent. in time that will be converted to a utility trailer with significant modifications to be able to serve as portable kitchen.

<edit>oh and a wok has also been a part of my cook kit for 15 years now I think... but I prefer japanese steakhouse style stirfry as opposed to other styles, so I use my lodge griddle for my stirfry more often... I was at a historical recreation event around 10-15 years ago... I was doing up a stirfry of rice, mushrooms, onions, a few vegies, beef cut and marinaded in 3 different marinades, plus shrimp in 2 different marinades... and of course an onion volcano just for a li'l flare since I was not doing the full steakhouse stage show... one of my friends was a teacher, so he brought several of his highschool students to the event... they abandoned the fast food they had gone off site to pick up and lined up with bowls in hand for my stirfry coming back for seconds... I had offered one who did not have the money to spare on a burger a bowl of my stirfry, but I was glad he had let his try a taste so I was actually really glad they came "raiding"... I had gotten a might carried away, and while I was actually cooking for 4 people, when all was said and done I had about 6 pounds of the stuff made up :)

it was great... with the 3 marinades for the beef, plus the shrimp using 2 of them, every bite had a different flavor. the 2 biggest problems with that is I always make too much when I am making that one, and with all the different flavor combinations while eating, it is easy to just keep eating way more than you should :)

Last edited:

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

in various groups I have been in, I have been a camp cook for over 30 years now (boyscout style cooking in the 80s, and cooking for encampments of anywhere from 4 to 50 people since... the choice of menu depends on how much gear I can carry, the environment being camped in, and general preferences of the group :) for right now, I am rebuilding my gear, and since building my truck will be eating most of my budget, I can not build the trailer I have designed so the chuck wagon will consist of several chuck boxes in the bed of the truck so I can slide them out, slip the legs in them, and set up a camp kitchen in a screen tent. in time that will be converted to a utility trailer with significant modifications to be able to serve as portable kitchen.
Very cool!

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Between the webber Q and a classic coleman stove, i haven't wanted for anything. You never know, i still may find the space in my bed for a scottle at some point...I just don't see the value yet. Then again, I grill at home every chance I get as well so perhaps that's just my preference. I've never liked propane, but this new grill seems to be great for traveling, especially since you can almost use it like an oven.

Sinocai

Rank IV

Member III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Grant
Last Name
Iaconis
Member #

<edit>oh and a wok has also been a part of my cook kit for 15 years now I think... but I prefer japanese steakhouse style stirfry as opposed to other styles, so I use my lodge griddle for my stirfry more often... I was at a historical recreation event around 10-15 years ago... I was doing up a stirfry of rice, mushrooms, onions, a few vegies, beef cut and marinaded in 3 different marinades, plus shrimp in 2 different marinades... and of course an onion volcano just for a li'l flare since I was not doing the full steakhouse stage show... one of my friends was a teacher, so he brought several of his highschool students to the event... they abandoned the fast food they had gone off site to pick up and lined up with bowls in hand for my stirfry coming back for seconds... I had offered one who did not have the money to spare on a burger a bowl of my stirfry, but I was glad he had let his try a taste so I was actually really glad they came "raiding"... I had gotten a might carried away, and while I was actually cooking for 4 people, when all was said and done I had about 6 pounds of the stuff made up :)
Haha thats awesome....always good to have extra for lunch the next day lol

jmorin41

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Canoga Park, CA 91303
First Name
James
Last Name
Morin
Member #

+1 for the Coleman dual burner stove. Might not be the best kit/brand for a dual burner, but it worked for me over the years. I've flirted with the idea of the Skottle and Genesis Basecamp Two Burner System. Both are high end items and maybe I'll treat myself one day!

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

I typically cook over the fire. But have backup or other methods just in case.

We have a Coleman single burner and a Coleman road trip. The latter is heavy and I'm considering building a drawer for it in the rig.

I have a Biolite capstone, which I've reserved more for backpacking or emergencies. So not much use with it.

I also got a Biolite Firepit last year. I think that is probably one of the best pieces of kit I've added. It allows for fire when you can't have open fire or can't scorch the earth. And has been great to grill on. Love that it is also a firepit.

BioLite Firepit

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I typically cook over the fire. But have backup or other methods just in case.

We have a Coleman single burner and a Coleman road trip. The latter is heavy and I'm considering building a drawer for it in the rig.

I have a Biolite capstone, which I've reserved more for backpacking or emergencies. So not much use with it.

I also got a Biolite Firepit last year. I think that is probably one of the best pieces of kit I've added. It allows for fire when you can't have open fire or can't scorch the earth. And has been great to grill on. Love that it is also a firepit.

BioLite Firepit
Thats a neat concept, but i thought that open flame meant anything burning on its own, including charcoal. Thats one of the reasons i spent money for the weber q vs my typical preferance for charcoal. How fast does it fill up with ash?

Reactions: SorrTrek

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

At some parks, they allow charcoal but not wood due to sparks. May be different out west though.

It doesn't fill up with ash very quickly at all. I think for a full weekend of camping, we may have dumped it only once. The air flow feature is really cool though.

I know many get the Solo Stove and this seemed to be a good option with not the same cost.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I use a Weber Q as my daily at home grill for the last 10 years. Amazing grill. I do not take it out with me- too messy.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
I use a Weber Q as my daily at home grill for the last 10 years. Amazing grill. I do not take it out with me- too messy.
IDK about mess. That's the exact reason I love using the grill for every meal possible, almost no cleanup and never any mess. Went 4 days and didn't have to clean a single pot, pan, plate, etc. Magic.

Steward I

Nisku, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Westfall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
RamRunner78
Used to rock a old tried and true Colman grille/burner stove until we won a contest and received a Weber q grille. Much better, we also have to converter hose for the 20lb bottle.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Used to rock a old tried and true Colman grille/burner stove until we won a contest and received a Weber q grille. Much better, we also have to converter hose for the 20lb bottle.
Nice! It's always nice to win something.

I need to look into the hose for larger tanks. I thin its a matter of time before I wear out the valve from taking cylinders on and off 1,000+ times.