Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
After doing much research, I think the best way to keep our family safe is bear bangers and spray. Mec sells a bear spray with a practice can so I can test out what it's like to spray the bear. Interesting stuff. I am just a little freaked out about my wife's cousin's friend. I'm sure blackies around here are much less aggressive than grizzlies in bc.

Reactions: rgallant and Downs

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Great choices. My personal handgun preferences are Springfield XD's, they fit my hand better that Glocks. I carry either an XDE 9MM or an XD-M 9MM depending on the situation. In addition I used to keep either my 5.56 or my Benelli tactical 12G in the rig but recently I switched to this. Kel Tec Sub 2000. It's a little easier to keep out of sight in the rig and shoots 9MM, same as my pistols.

View attachment 155559View attachment 155560
Day to day I keep a Micro Roni brace in the Jeep. Takes about 30 seconds to drop my G17 into it. That 3rd point of contact makes quite a difference. I shot it at a 2 gun (PCC and Handgun) night match about a week ago and it worked great. I had my G17 in it and my G19 as my sidearm. With a Olight Valkrie Pro on there and my TLR-1 on the G19 it performed quite well.

I've currently got a preorder placed for the Recover Tactical 20/20 "stabilizer" (another Israeli made product) I like my Roni but wanted to try a more "slimline" solution. The Roni is kind of bulky compared to something like the Flux or Recover.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Autism Family Travels Black bears are a bit more a of problem in some odd ways,

• They are far more likely to be habituated to humans
  • They are omnivores so think of them like really big raccoons they will rummage through garbage so they like campsites
  • They are very smart and good memories of where to find food
  • And of course there are way more of them than grizzlies

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I'll do my best to keep my subsequent replies to this thread on topic and on question (though it absolutely infuriates me when fellow citizens comment on my legal gun rights who have absolutely no clue regarding legal firearms and legal firearm owners here in Canada - I hope that is ok)

I live in BC, if I am hiking or camping, or out for a day trip driving in the back country one of these 3 comes along with us.... always. 72378658_10156301627676637_4037516059945730048_o.jpg

And having some safe fun.

72392617_10156301628121637_8324382399085412352_n.jpg72324315_10156301627906637_1800799939475800064_n.jpg

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@trikebubble Top one a Dominion Arms shorty ?

This not the place to argue the Liberals doing the same stuff they have for the last 40 years, each time expecting a different result from the same action. All you can do is support the orgs, write a million letters (keep calm and rational) to every MP, and news outlet.

I changed mine up for better fit, she runs pretty good and I can hit a 2 inch circle at 75 yds with slugs reliably. I added a sling point for a single point sling since this was taken.
Makes a for a good truck gun.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

@trikebubble Top one a Dominion Arms shorty ?

This not the place to argue the Liberals doing the same stuff they have for the last 40 years, each time expecting a different result from the same action. All you can do is support the orgs, write a million letters (keep calm and rational) to every MP, and news outlet.

I changed mine up for better fit, she runs pretty good and I can hit a 2 inch circle at 75 yds with slugs reliably. I added a sling point for a single point sling since this was taken.
Makes a for a good truck gun.
True enough. True enough. Yes, the top one is a Dominion shorty. I really like it, it was my very first shotgun ever. Kicks like a freight train with big slugs..... but you'd know that. I bought the pistol grip Turkish one as it fits in my backpack better, though the pistol grip isn't exactly all that accurate. The Marlin Trapper is my newest acquisition and I love it. I bought just because. It also makes a nice truck gun.

maddscot

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

McKinney, TX, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Stuart
Member #

Interesting thread, as always it seems when it comes to firearms. I carry when I am out, always. I do so for my protection, by critter or creep. That being said, I was in law enforcement, high level security and have been trained and take training to this day. I have hiked backcountry (Sierras, NW, NE, etc.), have thru-hiked the AT, and have camped regularly since the early 60s' as a kid hunting with my father and family. I carry a 9mm when hiking, concealed 9mm when out in general, and when I feel needed, carry a Scout style rifle in .308 when camping in bear/lion areas.

As noted many times in this thread training is the key. Hitting the range at least 3 times a month, muscle memory, safety etc. are paramount for me. Coming from a hunting background, and my past, guns have always been around. I don't collect, to me they are tools for a specific purpose. Don't drink, carry or shoot.

I carry when overlanding or out on the trail as 1) Have had the need for it (camp raid by Pineys in South Jersey, and not so good humans in So Cal), 2) seen what people are capable of, 3) know when I am in an area that I may need to scare off, or defend myself from, animals (though the worst I have ever experienced was a night time bear encounter). More about being prepared (food in the right places, location, location, location). Though I have never really in all my years outdoors have had to shot off a shot but twice, both to scare off. I do feel some get a little carried away more than what is needed, and have seen many not even know how to use what they bought and show off. Like anything some have what they need, others have what they want.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
@Autism Family Travels Black bears are a bit more a of problem in some odd ways,

• They are far more likely to be habituated to humans
  • They are omnivores so think of them like really big raccoons they will rummage through garbage so they like campsites
  • They are very smart and good memories of where to find food
  • And of course there are way more of them than grizzlies
The populations are not HUGE here. But I totally get what your saying.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Autism Family Travels Well I would say on an average day trip I see anywhere from 1 to 15 black bears. As I am only 1 hour out of Vancouver so no grizz, but we get a black on the deck every now and then. That is always exciting, they come over the chain link looking for food and water. Not as common as it used to be since the city start fining for storing garbage outside.

DIYTaco15

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

I'll do my best to keep my subsequent replies to this thread on topic and on question (though it absolutely infuriates me when fellow citizens comment on my legal gun rights who have absolutely no clue regarding legal firearms and legal firearm owners here in Canada - I hope that is ok)

I live in BC, if I am hiking or camping, or out for a day trip driving in the back country one of these 3 comes along with us.... always. View attachment 155574

And having some safe fun.

View attachment 155575View attachment 155576
what lever action is the rifle?

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

@Autism Family Travels Well I would say on an average day trip I see anywhere from 1 to 15 black bears. As I am only 1 hour out of Vancouver so no grizz, but we get a black on the deck every now and then. That is always exciting, they come over the chain link looking for food and water. Not as common as it used to be since the city start fining for storing garbage outside.
I saw my first wolf last weekend in the Valley. We were driving on the KVR past Chute Lake heading toward Kelowna and it crossed the railbed in front of us. Probably 95 pounds or so, dark silvery grey and black. It was damn impressive, a little shocking to see, but very cool to see wildlife (at a distance) in nature.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Wow, we are lucky to see a bear in a year. You guys have way more than us.

Reactions: rgallant

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Well, this thread went to shit almost immediately. How about ammo types for wildlife defense? Pretty much the same strategy as for human defense? When remote I may carry a .40SW as my 9mm seems like a less ideal caliber for the potential animal I may need to defend from. They both carry 14+1 as the .40 is full size and the 9 is compact for carry.

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

As the old adage goes better to have and not need then need and not have.
One time camping outside of Las Vegas (Red Rock Canyon area) I found myself in a situation where I am very glad I had a pistol with me, as some folks who had probably been partying thought my campsite was a yard sale with all items were being sold at the price of Free.99. I rolled out of my tent to see it was just some drunk kids doing drunk kid stuff. After seeing a pistol in my hand they kindly left. Its entirely possible this could have escalated into a very bad situation of 4 on 1 had I not had the upper hand to neutralize any crazy ideas.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@GrundleJuice A handgun is generally not recommended for any use against larger predator's, regardless of caliber.

For bear in in BC I carry rifled slugs for my 12 gauge, but I have single ball rubber slug as my 1st round. The rubber round has been found work well against bluff charges that might go either way with black bears, in grizzly country it is all bear slugs.
Even with bear slugs it is suggested you aim for the shoulders, given the speed bears travel and the short range if they are actually charging they will likely keep coming if hit center of mass.
I practice for that but fortunately I have never needed to test it.

And in Canada if I pull the shotgun on a human even a serious low life I can expect to spend my retirement savings trying to defend myself in court. But so far in the last 30 years with one exception that has not been a problem.

Reactions: ELY-9999 and K-G