Who carrys a firearm with them while camping?

• HTML tutorial

RyuKyuRvr

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Makinson
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
As I frequently travel between Canada and the US National (Crown Land) forests and frequently run into predators I found that I carry a pistol when I am out. Usually it is either a hip carry or a chest harness for easy access and as of yet I’ve only had one issue with a person complaining about me being in public about it. Generally people don’t care and where I live open carry is pretty much accepted because of the dangerous predators ranchers and land owners have to deal with. I do have a vehicle safe if I need it, like crossing the border but I also own land in BC so I make sure I have all documents with me if and when I may get stopped.

Reactions: Wallygator

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Autism Family Travels a couple of things :

1. Get the big bear spray not the little one abour the size of a big can of spry paint
  2. Bear bangers they need to land close and in front of the bear - not behind
  3. You an get an emergency air horn they work reasonably well
  4. Finally get and read a book called When Bears Attack it is a little dated but still very good

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Up here … no.
Wasn't so much a legal question as much as the lens with which the OP views guns. If an AR is a killing machine but hunting rifles are ok, what is an AR that is used exclusively for hunting like my .308?

I also just realized they're the OP and suddenly this thread reeks of self-righteousness.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

@Autism Family Travels a couple of things :

1. Get the big bear spray not the little one abour the size of a big can of spry paint
  2. Bear bangers they need to land close and in front of the bear - not behind
  3. You an get an emergency air horn they work reasonably well
  4. Finally get and read a book called When Bears Attack it is a little dated but still very good
Good points and I agree.
1. I usually carry 225 gram cans but having larger ones would be better.
2. I usually aim for behind and then surprise them with the spray … NOOO!!! ... lol
3. I always carry a small air horn with me when hiking . I also hooked up a Cadillac horn to the underside of my trailer. I've never had to use it except for to wake up my wife for ... whatever.
4. Thanks. I'll look that one up. The basics still apply … and bears still don't read.

• Haha
Reactions: Kilo_17

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Wasn't so much a legal question as much as the lens with which the OP views guns. If an AR is a killing machine but hunting rifles are ok, what is an AR that is used exclusively for hunting like my .308?

I also just realized they're the OP and suddenly this thread reeks of self-righteousness.
I hear what you're saying but we have to follow the law. There's a LOT of push back to the "scary looking" looking gun law that was announced last week. I don't want to get political but this kind of shows you what we're dealing with ...

attachment.jpg

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I hear what you're saying but we have to follow the law. There's a LOT of push back to the "scary looking" looking gun law that was announced last week. I don't want to get political but this kind of shows you what we're dealing with ...
Oh, I get that. The law is the law and there's no way around that. My frustration is someone coming in, asking a question about firearms, then on just the 6th post of this thread, they turn it completely political. It takes much less effort to just say "I can't have these in Canada, what about x" without making a political statement completely irrelevant to the original question they damn well know will stir up the 2A crowd on a primarily US site.

It just reeks like someone coming in to start an argument.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Oh, I get that. The law is the law and there's no way around that. My frustration is someone coming in, asking a question about firearms, then on just the 6th post of this thread, they turn it completely political. It takes much less effort to just say "I can't have these in Canada, what about x" without making a political statement completely irrelevant to the original question they damn well know will stir up the 2A crowd on a primarily US site.

It just reeks like someone coming in to start an argument.
First off, my apologies to the forum. I have political views and this probably isn't the place for them.

If the OP had of confined things to Canadians in his first post (if that's even possible) most American forum members probably wouldn't have bothered to comment. What you guys can do and we can do are quite different. You might have observed and chuckled which is what we usually do. Honestly, I don't usually wade into this kind of thread. We're not likely to change anyone's opinion on guns and who cares? Guns amongst campers, explorers, hunters, etc. are the least of our problems. Guns in our communities are. Likewise, legal gun owners up here are not a problem. That's where our current government is a bit confused.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

First off, my apologies to the forum. I have political views and this probably isn't the place for them.

If the OP had of confined things to Canadians in his first post (if that's even possible) most American forum members probably wouldn't have bothered to comment. What you guys can do and we can do are quite different. You might have observed and chuckled which is what we usually do. Honestly, I don't usually wade into this kind of thread. We're not likely to change anyone's opinion on guns and who cares? Guns amongst campers, explorers, hunters, etc. are the least of our problems. Guns in our communities are. Likewise, legal gun owners up here are not a problem. That's where our current government is a bit confused.
I don't think you have anything to apologize for so my apologies if that's what you took from it. My only issue here is that OP brings up firearms and then, completely without prompt, fires off:

To bad America could not get on board and do the same thing. We just banned all ar-15 style crap up here too. No need to have stuff like that. Airguns are fine as you can't really kill anyone in mass quantities with those.
It's completely unnecessary and meaningless to the discussion. Politics are inevitable when discussing firearms alongside hiking or camping. What's not acceptable is OP turning the conversation that direction by injecting their opinion so quickly without any incitement. This wasn't a question about firearms, it was a fishing expedition for an argument.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
VI Overlander - If I told my wife I was taking a gun on our next camping trip she'd refuse to go. I have question … where do you plan to buy your gun!? :grinning:
If I told my wife that I was leaving the guns at home she would refuse to go and argue with me that I should not be going either. Better to have and not need, then to need and not have.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

If I told my wife that I was leaving the guns at home she would refuse to go and argue with me that I should not be going either. Better to have and not need, then to need and not have.
I hear you but our laws are a little different here.

Last edited:

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Who carrys a firearm with you for protection while camping? I have not in the past, however, bear activity seems to be increasing around the areas I camp in the past little while.
I do. As to what I bring depends on where I camp. If in the midwest, usually just compact 9mm like a G43 or Shield. If in black bear country, usually a mid or full size 9mm, either a G19 or Ruger SR9, with Underwood Extreme Penetrators. If in big bear country, such as out west, a Glock 20 10mm with either Xtreme penetrators or Underwood rounds with hard cast lead. I also carry bear spray. I'd really rather use it, IF I had a choice. Of course bear spray might work pretty well on 2 legged vermin, too! Lol!

I've honestly had more hassle from drunk yayhoos in the mountains of Tennessee more than bears or wildlife. Closest I ever got to a bear scare was a surprise by a momma griz and two cubs at Yellowstone. She wasn't hostile, just passing through. We were within 15 feet or so and just slowly stepped away backward as she meandered on. Really a neat experience to get such a close look and the cubs were cute as hell. Glad momma was in a good mood! I've had close encounters with black bears, but again, none were aggressive. Just casually milling around for food. Didn't seem to bother them at all that I was there and they never bothered me or my family.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I do. As to what I bring depends on where I camp. If in the midwest, usually just compact 9mm like a G43 or Shield. If in black bear country, usually a mid or full size 9mm, either a G19 or Ruger SR9, with Underwood Extreme Penetrators. If in big bear country, such as out west, a Glock 20 10mm with either Xtreme penetrators or Underwood rounds with hard cast lead. I also carry bear spray. I'd really rather use it, IF I had a choice. Of course bear spray might work pretty well on 2 legged vermin, too! Lol!

I've honestly had more hassle from drunk yayhoos in the mountains of Tennessee more than bears or wildlife. Closest I ever got to a bear scare was a surprise by a momma griz and two cubs at Yellowstone. She wasn't hostile, just passing through. We were within 15 feet or so and just slowly stepped away backward as she meandered on. Really a neat experience to get such a close look and the cubs were cute as hell. Glad momma was in a good mood! I've had close encounters with black bears, but again, none were aggressive. Just casually milling around for food. Didn't seem to bother them at all that I was there and they never bothered me or my family.
We had an encounter last year on our utv. We have a converted bus in the bush and the trail to get to it is pretty overgrown. On the way out momma and 2 cubs were in the middle of the road. We just backed away slowly and waited for 10 min. And just continued on. They were not far, but I was not hanging around to see where they went.

I just think of camping in tent. My wifes cousin's friend was eaten by a grizzly while he's was camping in northern bc up around Mackenzie. He was asleep in his tent and the bear just pounced. Since then I have been a bit weary of tent camping with my family.

• Wow
Reactions: Wallygator and DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

We had an encounter last year on our utv. We have a converted bus in the bush and the trail to get to it is pretty overgrown. On the way out momma and 2 cubs were in the middle of the road. We just backed away slowly and waited for 10 min. And just continued on. They were not far, but I was not hanging around to see where they went.

I just think of camping in tent. My wifes cousin's friend was eaten by a grizzly while he's was camping in northern bc up around Mackenzie. He was asleep in his tent and the bear just pounced. Since then I have been a bit weary of tent camping with my family.
Wow, that's so sad! I have not tent camped in griz country. Only camper, but I still wonder if a griz might look at a pop-up camper as just a fancier wrapper. Not sure a gun or spray would have helped in that tent scenario.

Looks like you live in some gorgeous country up there! You've got black bears there, right?

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
In newfoundland only blackies. They are a little more docile than the grizzly, they love Tim Horton's jelly filled donut too. :tongueout: My friend is an outfitter here and that is what they use for their bait boxes. As for the guy in the tent, Nothing would have helped then. By the time he realized what was happening it was too late.

I am starting a photography tour business after this virus crap is over with here. I see a huge opportunity in that. Small personal tours around our neck of the woods.

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

I do. But I also pretty much always carry concealed anyways. No different when out camping or overlandering. I honestly have almost zero concern that an animal is going to attack, and where we go camping and exploring I have just about zero concern that a human would be a problem either. Nor do I yearn for any such hostile type encounter. But I still feel - since it's legal here - that responsibly carrying a firearm is a great idea, similar to carrying a knife, or a jack, or a spare tire. I almost never have to use any of the tools in my tool chest, but that doesn't mean I don't bring them.

Last edited: