White Rim Favorite Campsites

• HTML tutorial

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

Hey everyone. I'm planning a trip back out to Utah with a friend this coming April. One of my must do's is White Rim Trail, since I didn't get to do it last time.
What is everyone's favorite campsites!?!? I know you have to reserve them, just trying to figure out the best ones to get. My original plan was to get the White Crack site, and call it good, because it seems to be pretty centered along the trail. But what do you all recommend? Should we do two nights and get different spots?
Pictures for bonus points!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Completed the White Rim back in October for the first time going clockwise. Stayed at White Crack and Hardscrabble B. Used those to split the trip in logical parts. I went fairly slow stopping to take a lot of photos and soak the place in. Can be done in 2-days but I wanted more time. Depends on how you want to slice it up.

Really enjoyed White Crack - great views, good terrain to go explore on foot, well off the main trail. Hardscabble was OK -- down on the Green River, some vegetation, but was shaded in the morning and cold. The Murphy Hogback camps looked interesting with great view but it could get really windy up there too.

Feel free to contact me if I can help.

White Crack camp near sunset

Hardscrabble B

Not that you feel small out here or anything!

feetforbrains

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Vashon, WA 98070
First Name
MatthewAlan
Last Name
Thyer
Member #

Either way works really. I guess I was planning clockwise, it seems to be the way most go.

Clockwise, in two days, I'd push for Murphy's Hogback. White Crack is nice but it will make your second day really long. White Crack works best for three-day adventures IMO because you need to break up the obstacles between there and Mineral Bottom.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZ WANDERING BEAR

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Based on these amazing pics I don’t think you could go wrong choosing ANY campsite along White Rim!

Reactions: Zaq

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

I think you all made it harder to choose! Haha. Thanks for all the tips guys. I have another day/two to figure it out, before I can reserve the spots online. Making me question it alot. I can't wait to get out there.

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

Also, kind of a dumb question but maybe someone knows...
The reservation site, looks like its 30 bucks, even if I add a few campsites on there. But, if I get on right as the days and sites are released, to try to get one of the good spots I want, then, the second day, I would have to get on, assumingly paying another 30 for the second night, being that id be buying them at separate times.... dang.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

The reservation site, looks like its 30 bucks, even if I add a few campsites on there. But, if I get on right as the days and sites are released, to try to get one of the good spots I want, then, the second day, I would have to get on, assumingly paying another 30 for the second night, being that id be buying them at separate times.... dang.

Speaking from experience, just choose two of the spots (assuming that you're on White Rim for 2 days) that you really want to see, and then plan on another revisit in a year or so to see the ones you didn't get to stay at (you'll see all of them on your travels). This is a trip you'll want to do again...and again.

Also, I would plan on taking a slight detour onto both Lathrop Canyon and Potash Road off of White Rim during your trip. Potash was awesome.

If I didn't understand what you were asking in your previous reply, apologies.

BTW, we also enjoyed staying in the Sand Flats Campground, where Hell's Revenge and Fins N Things are, after we were done with White Rim. We stayed at the Juniper campground in that area. Highly recommended if you have an extra day or two after you're done with White Rim.

Reactions: KD7WCD and Zaq

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ

The $30 is for your entire trip (up to 14 days I think). Just put in the notes for each camp that this is for a multiday trip and maybe add your first days's camp selection to the notes on the second day camp, etc. I had the same question and called the backcountry office. They were really patient and helpful and had already figured out it was all one trip for me. Enjoy. It is a fun scenic trip!

Taco Caliente

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Antonio, TX
Member #

I did White Rim way back in the 90s. Spent 2 nights on the trail, one was Candlestick, I don't remember the other. The night stars were awesome. The Milky Way was so clear that I thought it was clouds! It doesn't matter where you camp, you will love the trip. I plan on going back in a year or two.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Any suggestions for were to stay if I was going to run this clockwise and spend 3 nights there? Is that going to be too long of a time if we do not get out and do a ton of hiking (we both like to take pictures, so that could slow things down lol)

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Let me tack on another question as well...

I understand that you should apply for the campsites the day they become available so does that mean that you have to apply 2 or 3 times depending on the number of nights you want to camp on the trail?
Thanks.

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

This one is on my list! Ive been on part of the trail (I think) but would LOVE to do the whole thing.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Let me tack on another question as well...

I understand that you should apply for the campsites the day they become available so does that mean that you have to apply 2 or 3 times depending on the number of nights you want to camp on the trail?
Thanks.
That's my understanding of it. Each day you grab the now newly available date in the future and then pay for them all as a single trip.

Reactions: smlobx