RustyGoldz

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Magna, Utah
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Walters
Newer member in SLC area. Newish into Overlanding. Just wanting to say hey to some local OB members!
Welcome! I’m up in Ogden but still close-ish!
Ogden is still close enough to hang out. Maybe I’ll come up and see your rig for some ideas on mine. I just got some tools at my place to help make some things, hopefully for my set up.

Reactions: TheWrexTerra

Evangius

Rank I

Contributor III

Utah
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Stevenson
Hi Everyone,

New here but I am located in Bountiful. I had my first trip to Moab last month and it was a blast. I am looking though for areas a little more north around Salt Lake including east into the Uintas would love to learn about any places folks would suggest.
39F46A36-1A1B-4372-B458-D3DCE19B0043.jpeg

DToverlanding

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Layton, UT, USA
First Name
Damon
Last Name
Brown
Member #

New members here from Layton, Utah. Wife and I are looking for any advice on good trails to start with as newbies. We have a 2020 Tacoma we've been outfitting with armor and other gear to get out into the less-traveled parts of the US West and Rocky Mountain regions. Any recommendations on simple 1-2-3 day trails in northern UT?

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Hey guys, I'm here in Herriman. When the smoke from California goes away I want to get out. Haven't done any adventure this year and only a few times last year. We used to a monthly meeting once a month, but it looks like that has gone by the way side. I think we need to start something up again.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
New members here from Layton, Utah. Wife and I are looking for any advice on good trails to start with as newbies. We have a 2020 Tacoma we've been outfitting with armor and other gear to get out into the less-traveled parts of the US West and Rocky Mountain regions. Any recommendations on simple 1-2-3 day trails in northern UT?
Damon,
I usually like to head west from the SLC area. Mainly because you don't have the crowds like other places. I will never go up American Fork Canyon again! You could do the Transcontinental trail to the west of SLC. It is easily a 2 day run if you get out and explore.

DToverlanding

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Layton, UT, USA
First Name
Damon
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hey everyone...we are planning on spending the upcoming Holiday weekend (Sat-Mon) exploring....somewhere.... Looking for suggestions. May explore up in the Uintas, but also thinking of heading west. Anyone else planning on getting out that weekend? Anyone interested in meeting up for a group trip those days?

Reactions: AL Z.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I will be working Saturday and Sunday.

BOMBS

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

West Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
HOA
Last Name
HUYNH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WSAN860
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this thread chat. Located in the West Jordan area. Starting to use this app alittle bit more. I'll be busy working this Labor weekend. I hope everybody gets to enjoy and have a great holiday weekend.

DToverlanding

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Layton, UT, USA
First Name
Damon
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this thread chat. Located in the West Jordan area. Starting to use this app alittle bit more. I'll be busy working this Labor weekend. I hope everybody gets to enjoy and have a great holiday weekend.
Hello BOMBS...we are in Layton. New to the group as well but hoping to help get the UT folks more active with each other. Where do you typically/like to explore?

Reactions: BOMBS

DToverlanding

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Layton, UT, USA
First Name
Damon
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Damon,
I usually like to head west from the SLC area. Mainly because you don't have the crowds like other places. I will never go up American Fork Canyon again! You could do the Transcontinental trail to the west of SLC. It is easily a 2 day run if you get out and explore.
Where do I find information on the Transcontinental trail? Did some online searches but don't seem to find anything about trails or routes available.

BOMBS

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

West Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
HOA
Last Name
HUYNH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WSAN860
Hello everyone,

Hello BOMBS...we are in Layton. New to the group as well but hoping to help get the UT folks more active with each other. Where do you typically/like to explore?
I don't have a particular favorite area where I like to explore. There is so much out there that it just takes time to go explore it all, which I am no where even close to. I will say, go down towards the southern region of Utah is always adventure with plenty of things to see and do. If you're looking for somewhere closer to home, I would suggest exploring the Farmington Canyon area.

Reactions: DToverlanding

BOMBS

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

West Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
HOA
Last Name
HUYNH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WSAN860
Hello everyone,

Hello DToverlanding,

I don't have a particular favorite area where I like to explore. There is so much out there that it just takes time to go explore it all, which I am no where even close to. I will say, go down towards the southern region of Utah is always adventure with plenty of things to see and do. If you're looking for somewhere closer to home, I would suggest exploring the Farmington Canyon area.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Where do I find information on the Transcontinental trail? Did some online searches but don't seem to find anything about trails or routes available.
One exceptional resource for Utah is the Expedition Utah website/forum. You will find a lot of information there, including the TCRR. I did goof up on the name, and I do apologize. It is actually the Transcontinental Rail Road. Try using that to search for it. There are several books written by Peter Massey on offroad trails in various western states. He divides the books into regions, such as Utah Trails Central Region, or Utah Trails Northern Region, etc. I could give you more detailed info, but it will have to wait for Monday. But do start with Expedition Utah. It is a wealth of info.
Ron W.

BOMBS

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pioneer II

West Jordan, UT, USA
First Name
HOA
Last Name
HUYNH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WSAN860
Hey, I'm a new member up North by Logan. Just dropping in to see who else is from Utah.
Hey Nate,

Welcome to the Overland Bound Utah chat. Just curious where did you take that picture that's on your profile background or what's the location of the lake/resevoir with the tree in the middle?

Nate102

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Logan, Utah, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Cowley
Hey, I'm a new member up North by Logan. Just dropping in to see who else is from Utah.
Hey Nate,

Welcome to the Overland Bound Utah chat. Just curious where did you take that picture that's on your profile background or what's the location of the lake/resevoir with the tree in the middle?

Hey BOMBS,

It's called Mystic Lake in the Custer National Forest, Montana. It's about a 3 mile hike in mostly uphill. There is a section you have to hike across some big boulders, some of which aren't real secure. It's an absolutely beautiful place though! Highly recommend if you're up that way.