Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Jae
Last Name
Choi
Member #

Hey guys, currently have on stock shocks for the 2019 TRD OR Tacoma. Trying to see the differences between the Bilstein 5100 vs Fox 2.0 vs Falcon 3.1 (aside from the price differences [emoji1317]) What are your recommendations especially if the rigs used as daily driver.

Last edited:
S

SubeeBen

I do not have a Tacoma but I can tell you I have the fox 2.0 shocks on my Jeep JKU & they were an amazing addition after my lift. Ride great they are stiff but still ride incredible hugely noticeable difference over stock shocks & I scored a deal on Ebay for about $ 460 ish.

Reactions: Jaebronski

Jaebronski

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Jae
Last Name
Choi
Member #

I do not have a Tacoma but I can tell you I have the fox 2.0 shocks on my Jeep JKU & they were an amazing addition after my lift. Ride great they are stiff but still ride incredible hugely noticeable difference over stock shocks & I scored a deal on Ebay for about $ 460 ish.
Do you use your Jeep as a daily driver or is it an adventure rig? Thanks for your review! Have you heard anything about the Bilstein or the Falcon?

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Back when I had my 2006 GMC Sierra 3501 ton dually, I purchased Bilstein 5100 shocks from Nick at Nor Cal truck. Nick doesn’t own the place anymore, but I think they still have all of his spec sheets. He actually sold Ford shocks to me because the valving was better for my particular truck. After buying those my truck rode like a Cadillac. It was my daily driver, and it was awesome. Zero complaints. I do not think I would have achieved the same ride had I not gone with Nick’s advice and gotten the Ford shocks with the different valving. You might call Nor Cal truck and see if they still offer this free service.

James

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Ok, so from what I know and heard...
Start with Bilstein, known as comfortable and once high quality, seems like they tend to fail prematurely and the overall quality seems to get down in the last few years, depending on load and vehicle specs they tend to bottom out because of the way they are valved
Fox always known to be more on the sporty side, try to get a deal on the remote reservoir variety, they have an inch more travel (as most remote reservoir shocks have more travel at the same body length)
Overall never heard anything negative about fox shocks.

Falcon ... Yes the Falcon, teraflex is doing something right here, whenever I talked to someone who switched to Falcon shocks from anything other said it was a huge improvement, HUUGE, is what they said, if Falcon the 3.2 would be the best deal in my understanding.

S

SubeeBen

Do you use your Jeep as a daily driver or is it an adventure rig? Thanks for your review! Have you heard anything about the Bilstein or the Falcon?
Both. I have heard good of bilstein & only thing I know of falcon is very expensive.

Jaebronski

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Jae
Last Name
Choi
Member #

Ok, so from what I know and heard...
Start with Bilstein, known as comfortable and once high quality, seems like they tend to fail prematurely and the overall quality seems to get down in the last few years, depending on load and vehicle specs they tend to bottom out because of the way they are valved
Fox always known to be more on the sporty side, try to get a deal on the remote reservoir variety, they have an inch more travel (as most remote reservoir shocks have more travel at the same body length)
Overall never heard anything negative about fox shocks.

Falcon ... Yes the Falcon, teraflex is doing something right here, whenever I talked to someone who switched to Falcon shocks from anything other said it was a huge improvement, HUUGE, is what they said, if Falcon the 3.2 would be the best deal in my understanding.
Thanks for the inside scoop on all 3! Definitely having a hard time deciding between them haha

Reactions: MazeVX

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Shocks are the single biggest performance upgrade you can make to your vehicle, dont skimp out and go with Falcon... The performance is on par with the 2.5" series Fox shocks with a lower price tag. The guys over there have really done their homework. Unlike other shocks you dont get a generic valve stack and the correct ends to bolt into your vehicle. They have designed and built each shock from the ground up for the vehicle it goes on. If you are running heavy loads in the bed or tow a trailer, get the tow/haul models. If its just a regular DD/weekend warrior go with the regular sport shocks.

The 5100 are smaller bodies and smaller shafts, not rebuildable and not made in the USA.
The Fox 2.0s are smaller bodies and smaller shafts, rebuildable and made in the USA.
The Fox 2.5s are larger bodies with the same size shafts, rebuildable and made in the USA.

I have sold countless sets of the Falcons for jeeps since they have come out and every person has been floored with the performance and value. There isnt a better "out of the box" valved shock on the market today.

Let me know if you want any pricing for your vehicle.

Justin G.,-- AMO

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

"dont skimp out and go with Falcon" sounds like you are saying "don't skimp out and buy Falcon", meaning Falcon is cheap... Is that what you meant, or were you trying to say, "don't skimp out, instead buy Falcon"??

James

Reactions: KonzaLander