Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Until I put the spare on the rear bumper this is my current minimal space wasted setup. I'd love to do a custom rack that replace OE hardware and hugs the roof but it's certainly not a priority as this functions flawlessly. A low roofline already keeps the weight lower and items more easily accessible.

3 Tools (shovel, pulaski, and a 'multi')
Awning
Traction Jacks
Rotopax (assorted configurations)
5lb Propane Tank
Full size spare on a silly lightweight wheel
High lift jack base
4' Whip
Stickers

IMG_1546.JPG IMG_1569.JPG IMG_1560.JPG

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Until I put the spare on the rear bumper this is my current minimal space wasted setup. I'd love to do a custom rack that replace OE hardware and hugs the roof but it's certainly not a priority as this functions flawlessly. A low roofline already keeps the weight lower and items more easily accessible.

3 Tools (shovel, pulaski, and a 'multi')
Awning
Traction Jacks
Rotopax (assorted configurations)
5lb Propane Tank
Full size spare on a silly lightweight wheel
High lift jack base
4' Whip
Stickers

View attachment 22568 View attachment 22569 View attachment 22570
Nice setup, nice Subi

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I always have an Awning, Shovel and HiLift Jack and sometimes on longer trips i have the "coffin" cargo box.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

Yakima Skybox 12 & an ARB 2500 Awning with Bomber Products Awn Locks mounted atop Yakima skyline towers & round crossbars. The box is offset so that we can get our standup paddleboards on top, but it's still inside of the side view mirror aka 'kitty whiskers'. I'm contemplating a basket, which will like have to custom or possible a Kuat narrow basket. The box & awning effected MPG to an avg of 24 on the highway & that's with a 2.5i Limited.

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 9.09.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 9.05.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 8.39.17 PM.png

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I don't put anything up there if I can avoid it, for the reasons already stated. This is a little easier for me than for many folks since I am a minimalist and try to carry as little as humanly possible.
I am interested in what you do have in your minimalist overland rig. I am just setting up my own and am trying to get it so I have just what I need and nothing else..

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Epic Overland

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

Until a couple of days ago, I had:

Thule 450 mounts with square bars
Yakima LoadWarrior heavy duty basket with 18" extension
ARB 2500 Awning
Firestick 4' CB antenna
OPT7 32" LED light bar
Two sets of Yakima Hull-A-Port Pro kayak racks

Today it is just the bare roof rails, waiting for delivery of my PrinSu full length rack.
Would love to see a pic of how your prinsu turned out. What accessories do you have on it?

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Anyone know of any secure locking devices that could affix a rooftop tent to our roofrack? Recently had our truck stolen and they got everything except the yakima rack. Tents gone, sportrack ip fronts gone, everything stripped from the cab.
If such a product doesnt exist i want to start making them.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

IMG_0534.JPG I have to use my rack for the spair tire in the back of my rack. I don't like it there but that is the best place for now. My exhaust muffler is in the front of the rack! I have the exhaust up like that to help off-roading for the fire danger in the tall grasses here. Then jack, shovel and a light container of miscellaneous stuff. I do not plan to buy or mess with a roof top sleeping setup. Benz.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Six Actual

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Benicia, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Wickett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA6XM
Our medium carbon fiber maggiolina. Sits on top of the AEV (rhino) rack. Slept in a ground tent for years.. this is a huge improvement... warm and super comfortable. Negligible impact on mpg.

IMG_0066.jpg
DSC01901.jpg

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Would love to see a pic of how your prinsu turned out. What accessories do you have on it?
There are some photos in the thread linked in my sig. I really like the rack! I have the ARB 2500 awning and 32" OPT7 light bar on it all the time except winter. Usually it has the Road Shower mounted, as well. I have Maxtrax pins, but haven't installed them yet, and I have a Renogy 100W solar panel that's up there some times.

See page six, here: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/steve’s-2016-toyota-4runner-modification-and-adventure-thread.1353/page-6

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
This coming winter, 3 ski sets for me and my 2 boys. A traction board and a bin for storing assorted stuff, like snowshoes and firewood.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have a Yakima LoadWarrior up top. I usually throw my totes and cooler up there, but have used the bike mounts as well. I might end up throwing some lights behind the visor. I just use my basket for the extra gear, and sometimes for hauling lumber.

UPDATE- I have been hauling my spare around on the roof and utilized the spare wheel bay for storage. Not a huge difference in driveability or MPG, bit just a little. I can probably gain it back if needed with my tuner.

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I might end up throwing some lights behind the visor
That's what I did with my extended Load Warrior. I mounted the lighter behind the wind deflector, and folded it down when I wanted to use the light. This kept bugs off of it, avoided breakage, and kept it out of the wind for some imagined MPG savings. Plus, it was a good conversation piece. :)

12002196_735638816566026_4135661330626165678_n.jpg 11233424_735639393232635_6465673516354839771_n.jpg