What's on your roof?

• HTML tutorial

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

So last weekend we drilled thru our canopy and installed a yakima rack. This week the tent is going up there. We are waiting for a sportrack rack and basket for the cab, should be here by our days off. Plans for lights up there, spare tire, hi lift and shovel, maybe firewood.
Wondering what you others out there have up in the attic?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Well, whenever I get my Gobi Stealth rack in, (maybe May 1 at this point) I plan on the usual, Maxxtrax, my ARB 2500 awning, shovel, Hi-Jack lift,EXPEDITION 3X THREE-BURNER STOVE, all my tent stuff, and the folding chairs. Basically, everything besides the clothes, propane tank and coolers

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I try to keep it pretty light up there, but when in full exploration/roadtrip/overland mode:

Baja drop in basket on stock FJ roof rack
2 Pelican 1700 long cases containing all lightweight gear (sleeping mats, bags, pillows, tent/tent supplies, hammocks, straps and tarps)
4 RotoPax 2 gallon black storage cases (containing 2 BubbaRope kinetic ropes, tree saver, warn strap, 4 shackles, other safety gear and small straps)
Midwest Rake round point 48" shovel
60" walking stick
2 MaxTrax mounted to side of rack
Picnic table 55L Leader dry bag and chairs

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Until a couple of days ago, I had:

Thule 450 mounts with square bars
Yakima LoadWarrior heavy duty basket with 18" extension
ARB 2500 Awning
Firestick 4' CB antenna
OPT7 32" LED light bar
Two sets of Yakima Hull-A-Port Pro kayak racks

Today it is just the bare roof rails, waiting for delivery of my PrinSu full length rack.

Reactions: Glenn and SC4runner

Montanaguy

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Missoula, Montana
Member #

14' stand-up paddle race boards, surf boards and Thule box. RTT on top of all pro lack rack custom cut to 14" to allow said race boards.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

In all seriousness, I'm almost finished painting my new rack (had a few issues w/ incompatible paints, mostly because I'm not very bright), which I hope to install this weekend. My plan going forward is to store whatever I can up there, since the interior of my rig will be reserved primarily for me, the kid, the wife and the 2 dogs. Prior to this, I used a soft carrier and kept lightweight items up there on trips, but now, I'll have my traction pads, jack, tent, chairs, camping gear, and whatever else I can safely fit...

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Im sure you have a good reason. Mind sharing?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I've got a couple of reasons, which people may or may not agree with. The more weight that is put at a high center of gravity, the worse off you are if you end up in an off camber situation (which I do frequently). Obviously if you put a pool noodle on the roof and drive down the freeway, that probably isn't as much a concern.. Id be more concerned with the pool noodle flying off, lol. Anyhow, I also try my best to keep all the weight centered between the axles so that added stress is distributed equally and I avoid any "squat" or sagging of the rear end due to weight.

I also like to keep my height down, being that I am already lifted on 37" (which actually measure to a true 35") tires. If I encounter a tight spot, I certainly wouldn't want a roof rack or cargo boxes on the top being a limiting factor and possibly (dare I say) wasting an hour of the day cutting down a tree and clearing the trail, or something. Same goes for when I need to drive in town, a roof rack would limit my ability to enter underground garages which isn't all that practical living in North Vancouver. I also drive a Jeep and removing the to hard top to switch to a bikini top is part of the fun! Most roof racks are particularly annoying to remove or flip out of the way, and I would rather not deal with that.

Lastly, I have no kids, dogs, sheep, goats or anything to get in the way!.. so there is lots of cargo space in the back for my gear, which is already light and compact. I mostly double duty my hiking gear. When I go hiking, my bag without food or water weighs just 13lbs. So really, there hasn't been a need for the extra space either (probably because I avoid large things lol).

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Agree. If I don't need my rocket box I don't take it. And I'm going to fix up my trailer this spring so I can use that instead. Get better mileage with that.

Overlanding seems mostly a game of strapping stuff to the outside of the truck. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. The rocket boxes are a decent compromise because they are protected and aero.

-M