What to prioritize when buying recovery gear.

• HTML tutorial

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
Ok... In order to not sound too repetitive, I will forgo listing all the items everyone else has. I use most of these in my own recovery gear (except the winch, that will be my next investment). However I would be amiss if I did not mention the most obvious item, common sense! Use that and you will not put yourself into danger, nor will you stray into a position where you need tools you don’t have in your gear.

Everyone will get stuck eventually, but if you know what you have available you will make good judgment calls and avoid serious damage and danger.

Reactions: Oregon_trail

drrobinson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, CO, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0DRR
Welcome to the party. Some thoughts...

First
  • Training

Then
  • Air compressor - Don't get stuck in the first place (air down), get stuck, air down some more. But you can't air down without a way to air up.
  • Shovel
  • 6 ton bottle jack (consider a axle/frame adapter & extension for the top. e.g., safejack) and a board for a base
This and your Maxtrax will get you out of 90% of stuck situations (not a scientific number, but born of experience)
  • Hand saw - much easier to clear downed trees or harvest downed wood for bridging
  • Recovery points - your front bumper (on the way?) should have them, add something to the rear. Could even be a Hitchlink in a trailer hitch receiver as a lower cost option
  • Dynamic Recovery rope/strap - if someone comes along, as long as they have a suitable recovery point, your golden
  • Soft shackles (x2) - much safer, stronger, and lighter
Now you are able to get out of 98% of the situations you have any business being anywhere near

I don't carry any of this stuff below. If it looks that "interesting" I'll turn around:wink:
  • winch w/ synthetic rope
  • pulley block
  • tree savers
  • dampers
  • more shackles

Reactions: MattLew

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Welcome to the party. Some thoughts...

First
  • Training

Then
  • Air compressor - Don't get stuck in the first place (air down), get stuck, air down some more. But you can't air down without a way to air up.
  • Shovel
  • 6 ton bottle jack (consider a axle/frame adapter & extension for the top. e.g., safejack) and a board for a base
This and your Maxtrax will get you out of 90% of stuck situations (not a scientific number, but born of experience)
  • Hand saw - much easier to clear downed trees or harvest downed wood for bridging
  • Recovery points - your front bumper (on the way?) should have them, add something to the rear. Could even be a Hitchlink in a trailer hitch receiver as a lower cost option
  • Dynamic Recovery rope/strap - if someone comes along, as long as they have a suitable recovery point, your golden
  • Soft shackles (x2) - much safer, stronger, and lighter
Now you are able to get out of 98% of the situations you have any business being anywhere near

I don't carry any of this stuff below. If it looks that "interesting" I'll turn around:wink:
  • winch w/ synthetic rope
  • pulley block
  • tree savers
  • dampers
  • more shackles
Bottle jack is a good one I only have my factory one and was watching some of 4 wheeling Australia’s videos on recovery and jacks and until that I hadn’t even though about getting caught on a axle and getting stuck that way and how it can lift you over and rock easily. But besides that a saw and a good recovery rope I have or have it coming. I did prioritize a winch mainly because although I don’t do much true wheeling I wanted to be self reliant.

Oregon_trail

Rank II

Traveler I

Medford Oregon
First Name
Micah
Last Name
White
Member #

Don't put too much faith in recovery boards. They work pretty good in sand, not so much in soft mud and can be hit or miss in snow, depending on how deep and how compact.
I appreciate the advice man. Granted that’s when the winch comes out. Greated I don’t see myself getting into a spot I truly need a winch but it be more for safety since something I’ll get stuck in the snow but kinda on the edge of a hill where I’m half was sliding down it. I’ve managed to get out but would he was less sketchy to just winch away from the edge.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I appreciate the advice man. Granted that’s when the winch comes out. Greated I don’t see myself getting into a spot I truly need a winch but it be more for safety since something I’ll get stuck in the snow but kinda on the edge of a hill where I’m half was sliding down it. I’ve managed to get out but would he was less sketchy to just winch away from the edge.
I recently added a 4tn come a long to my recovery gear. I've been in a situation with the winch pulling the truck and the truck wanting to slide sideways, deeper into the trouble. Now I have a second attachment point to help control movement.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Enthusiast I

Bloomfield, NJ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McCarthy
This is a great thread and helpful to me as I kit out my first truck and look to get out on the trails. As a new recovery gear shopper can you all share your thoughts on RhinoUSA Recovery Gear. The prices looks good and I am on a budget so is it decent kit to get? I am cautious of buying junk of Amazon. I don't want gear to fail, but I'm not going to be going hardcore.

Last edited:

Dlnuckolls

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Shepherdsville, KY, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Nuckolls
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4WHV
This is a great thread and helpful to me as I kit out my first truck and look to get out on the trails. As a new recovery gear shopper can you all share your thoughts on RhinoUSA Recovery Gear. The prices looks good and I am on a budget so is it decent kit to get? I am curious of buying junk of Amazon. I don't want gear to fail, but I'm not going to be going hardcore.
Don’t discount Amazon. I actually buy a lot of my gear there. Same brands , just like the free shipping and many times I can get the same or better pricing.

The better prices is not always the case, so just watch closely on that.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Gloves, heavier duty hikers/workboots, long sleeves, durable pants, head gear, hat for heat, toque for cold. WATER.
None of that ever gets mentioned but it is all great gear when yer stuck.

Must admit I've never needed my winch to get unstuck. It gets used to drag logs or on construction sites but never for recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: drrobinson

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I definitely appreciate the advice man. I do carry a axe and shovel but I never thought about the application of getting unstuck with a axe honestly. I do have a fire extinguisher but It’s kinda small so I would like to upgrade that as well. I’ve always needed recovery gear in the snow I’ve never needed it in any other time although last week on the dunes I was pretty sure I would but I didn’t and made it out fine.
Go here for your next F.E. elementfire.com

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
This is a great thread and helpful to me as I kit out my first truck and look to get out on the trails. As a new recovery gear shopper can you all share your thoughts on RhinoUSA Recovery Gear. The prices looks good and I am on a budget so is it decent kit to get? I am cautious of buying junk of Amazon. I don't want gear to fail, but I'm not going to be going hardcore.
Rhino Gear is a USA company and the equipment is made in China to there spec. I have one RG tow strap and it's well made, they do have good pricing. I like Gear America, usa co. with import to spec, nice product.